U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 02:41 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,463,812 times

Advertisements

I am posting this in both the Sarasota & Tampa Bay forums.

Have been in Sarasota for 5 years, and thought I found Paradise. I am a "city" person, but lately, the city of Sarasota seems to be headed in the wrong direction. Every corner in Downtown has a high rise going up. Any green space is occupied by the homeless. EMpty storefronts (with more likely to come thanks to that new Mall) . Traffic is awful even out-of-season, and will surely be worse once these thousands of new units and hotel rooms are built downtown. Noise Pollution is rampant. I know - it is a City, and things like that are to be expected. To an extent, it is what I like about city living -a Vibrant, Alive environment. And I've liked it both in sarasota & manhattan & Philly. I was glad to learn that I am not alone - one of my neighbors moved here from Manhattan a year ago, and is leaving because she finds the noise & crowds worse than Manhattan. Another moved from D.C. and is looking for a different place. And yet another moved from downtown which he loved to a gated community south. I can't see myself in a gated community where I can't walk to things. Hopefully, in a couple of years when the building is finished, things will be somewhat better, hopefully with traffic & parking issues addressed by the City (OOPS - expecting too much?). And maybe they'll even do something about the Homeless.

But at the same time, there are so many great things about being downtown - FST, Ballet, Opera, Orchestra, Van Wezel, Players, wonderful restaurants that rival anything in Manhattan, the Ringling Bridge and the Bayfront.

So if anyone has experience in both SP & Sarasota, I'd like to hear your opinions about how the downtowns compare? Does Naples have as much arts? More expensive than Sarasota? Homeless issues? Tax comparison? And what section of St. Pete would be the equivalent to Sarasota's downtown?
Any other comparisons would be appreciated.
THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 09:38 PM

131 posts, read 106,797 times
St Pete has construction as well, and a new project on a skyscraper to be completed in 2018. They address the Homeless issue a few years ago, creating a camp in the northern end of the county and legislating new laws to address it. It's difficult to compare noise, there seems to be constant activity an events in downtown St Pete so I suspect it's levels are just as high. Traffic is traffic anywhere, if you know how to get around you can avoid it most of the time. Politically St Pete is more liberal, if that matters. They have fine dining or road side taco trucks and everything in between. Night-Life and access to stores is just as appealing, maybe more so. Keep in mind, Pinellas County is the most populated county in Florida so it may be a littl more crowded up there.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:25 AM

Ahh - finally, after over 100 views, a reply. Thank you.
I guess what I wonder is if the construction is pretty much over, or if there is still several years at several locations still to go. Here in SRQ, there are the 3 going up within a block of me now, then when they are done there is anouther that will be starting right across a 2 lane street from my bedroom, and another a block away. Then there are several more in the works within 2 to 3 blocks. Right now, an issue is walking my dog - she is very afraid of noises, and there is no direction we can go where there isn't construction.
Even when there's no construction - like at night - it's the partyying going on. They built the main parking garage for downtwon right across the street, and that is packed, esp on sataurday night with lots of people who probably should not be driving. And the city's skateboarders have decided that they like to skate up & down the ramps, and end up going into the street, and skate right in front of our building's entrance. All of this in spte of sgins that say No Skateboarding. SOunds like St. Pete has done something about the Homeless. In SRQ, the City & County cannot agree on anything, and there's one guy here who sues anyone who wants to move the homelsss away from wherever they want to be.

I used to go to Clearwater frequently (GO PHILLIES), but traffic has been so horrendous that I've stopped going. I found the traffic wasn't bad though until I got just north of st pete.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:17 AM

15,090 posts, read 30,936,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Ahh - finally, after over 100 views, a reply. Thank you.
I guess what I wonder is if the construction is pretty much over, or if there is still several years at several locations still to go. Here in SRQ, there are the 3 going up within a block of me now, then when they are done there is anouther that will be starting right across a 2 lane street from my bedroom, and another a block away. Then there are several more in the works within 2 to 3 blocks. Right now, an issue is walking my dog - she is very afraid of noises, and there is no direction we can go where there isn't construction.
Even when there's no construction - like at night - it's the partyying going on. They built the main parking garage for downtwon right across the street, and that is packed, esp on sataurday night with lots of people who probably should not be driving. And the city's skateboarders have decided that they like to skate up & down the ramps, and end up going into the street, and skate right in front of our building's entrance. All of this in spte of sgins that say No Skateboarding. SOunds like St. Pete has done something about the Homeless. In SRQ, the City & County cannot agree on anything, and there's one guy here who sues anyone who wants to move the homelsss away from wherever they want to be.

I used to go to Clearwater frequently (GO PHILLIES), but traffic has been so horrendous that I've stopped going. I found the traffic wasn't bad though until I got just north of st pete.
coach, I am thinking you just shouldn't live in any downtown. St. Pete will have its noise - there are lots of bars there and it is an active and lively downtown. Any city with any vibrance will all have the same issues. You might just stay in Sarasota and move to an area AWAY from downtown. I personally hate downtown living, we used to live just south of downtown Sarasota and the noise, crime, traffic, construction etc were unbearable and I am talking 20 years ago. Despite the fact we live near the airport now, I will take it ANY day over downtown living. Living right downtown is vastly overrated, IMO. You don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

The only exception is if you like just a very small town like Venice, where the population skews very old, the downtown is very small.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:53 PM

Sarasota is MUCH noisier than Manhattan or Downtown Philly. That's what I find odd. Probably because of the weather, everything happens Outdoors in SRQ whereas in Manhattan, all the partying is indoors. Of course there is noise from people elaving venues, but that is fleeting, whereas when the venue is outside, it lasts all night. And here in SRQ they allow the construction to begin at 6 AM.

I can't see myself living in a place where I can't walk to everything, so I really do need a downtown locale. I'm not a suburbanite - did that for about 30 years - that was enough. For some (probably most), that's the way to go. Just not me.

IF Venice had a slightly different demographic, maybe it would be right.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:26 AM

15,090 posts, read 30,936,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Sarasota is MUCH noisier than Manhattan or Downtown Philly. That's what I find odd. Probably because of the weather, everything happens Outdoors in SRQ whereas in Manhattan, all the partying is indoors. Of course there is noise from people elaving venues, but that is fleeting, whereas when the venue is outside, it lasts all night. And here in SRQ they allow the construction to begin at 6 AM.

I can't see myself living in a place where I can't walk to everything, so I really do need a downtown locale. I'm not a suburbanite - did that for about 30 years - that was enough. For some (probably most), that's the way to go. Just not me.

IF Venice had a slightly different demographic, maybe it would be right.
Coach, then you need to stay in a hotel downtown St. Pete now and then and see how you feel. St. Pete might not be quite as noisy as Sarasota, but again it is larger and might be just as bad. Right now not too much construction, but there are no guarantees on that front. As you pointed out, this is Florida, everything happens outside - there are always festivals downtown, plus in St. Pete you have Tropicana Field. In Florida, almost any nice downtown city is going to have plenty of ongoing noise, especially during our nice-weather season.

Have you considered Bradenton? Bradenton is very small, it is like a quiet small town, but it has the beautiful Riverwalk, several nice restaurants (we love Pier 22 on the Manatee River!), the theater group, craft breweries, Village of the Arts, Planetarium and other things. There are festivals on the Riverwalk. Some have even relocated from Sarasota downtown to be in Bradenton. Bradenton has a fantastic downtown authority, is small-business friendly, it is a "tree city" and they are always looking for ways to improve downtown. In other words, the complete opposite of Sarasota.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Plus it is a quick drive to either Sarasota or St. Pete from Bradenton.

Last edited by gypsychic; 11-25-2014 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or