U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 03:53 PM

8,706 posts, read 8,791,508 times

Advertisements

Howdy folks,

My better half needs to drive to East Ridgewood Street in Orlando from Palm Harbor tomorrow. She needs to be there for 9:00am and will be leaving at 3:00pm to go to The Christmas Tree Shop north of Orlando, before coming back to Palm Harbor.

Given the time of day and the nightmares I hear about I-4, but also curious about traffic on alternate routes, what do y'all think the best route would be going to and coming from Orlando......and what time will she realistically need to leave in the morning.

Thx much.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 07:04 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,610,590 times
Leave at 6:00am from PH!
It takes two hours when you go from where I-4 meets 275 to Orlando(NOT Disney)....So from PH u should add an hour considering morning traffic. I would leave at 5:30am and give myself extra time.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:13 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,430,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Leave at 6:00am from PH!
It takes two hours when you go from where I-4 meets 275 to Orlando(NOT Disney).
Are you sure? According to Google Maps Traffic, there are normally no traffic slowdowns on I-4 on weekday mornings. That portion of the drive should take from 1:00 to 1:15 hours without traffic.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:59 AM

265 posts, read 318,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Are you sure? According to Google Maps Traffic, there are normally no traffic slowdowns on I-4 on weekday mornings. That portion of the drive should take from 1:00 to 1:15 hours without traffic.
Then Google Maps doesn't know what it's talking about. Everyone in central Florida who has ever had to use the I-4 corridor to get from one side to the other knows how traffic comes to a grinding halt once you get to the Kissimmee/Buena Vista/Disney area. I'm told we are supposed to love the tourists in our state though, so I'm not complaining... just informing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Howdy folks,

My better half needs to drive to East Ridgewood Street in Orlando from Palm Harbor tomorrow. She needs to be there for 9:00am and will be leaving at 3:00pm to go to The Christmas Tree Shop north of Orlando, before coming back to Palm Harbor.

Given the time of day and the nightmares I hear about I-4, but also curious about traffic on alternate routes, what do y'all think the best route would be going to and coming from Orlando......and what time will she realistically need to leave in the morning.

Thx much.
I don't know off the top of my head where Ridgewood street is, but if it's in Orlando proper, one route to consider is taking I-75 up to SR-50 and taking that out all the way to Orlando. It turns into Colonial Drive, which is a main road that runs you by the Universal area before going into downtown. I used to take that road during rush hour commute times when I was a package courier out of Tampa, and it only took an hour and a half to get to downtown Orlando. Keep in mind though that this was coming from Tampa, not Palm Harbor. Also, this was like 15 years ago or so. I hate Orlando so much that I don't go there at all these days, so I can't weigh in on recent commutes. An educated guess says that 50 probably hasn't changed all that much, in terms of commutes.

If she must take I-4, then I agree with PhotoProIP... leave at 6am.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
Then Google Maps doesn't know what it's talking about. Everyone in central Florida who has ever had to use the I-4 corridor to get from one side to the other knows how traffic comes to a grinding halt once you get to the Kissimmee/Buena Vista/Disney area. I'm told we are supposed to love the tourists in our state though, so I'm not complaining... just informing.

I don't know off the top of my head where Ridgewood street is, but if it's in Orlando proper, one route to consider is taking I-75 up to SR-50 and taking that out all the way to Orlando. It turns into Colonial Drive, which is a main road that runs you by the Universal area before going into downtown. I used to take that road during rush hour commute times when I was a package courier out of Tampa, and it only took an hour and a half to get to downtown Orlando. Keep in mind though that this was coming from Tampa, not Palm Harbor. Also, this was like 15 years ago or so. I hate Orlando so much that I don't go there at all these days, so I can't weigh in on recent commutes. An educated guess says that 50 probably hasn't changed all that much, in terms of commutes.
That's what she did and it worked out great. Much better than I-4. Thx.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material

Old 11-22-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
It takes me over an hour to get off 275 and get passed the 75 exit on I-4 every time I have to drive to Orlando on a weekday just from Carrollwood.

I feel as though it is always hit or miss, so now I leave early just to be sure I don't get stuck, or if I do get stuck that I have ample time to sit in there stuck.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:57 AM

She took 50? that has a lot of stop lights...how did she get to 50 from PH? That's a whole zig-zag...

Old 11-22-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
She took 50? that has a lot of stop lights...how did she get to 50 from PH? That's a whole zig-zag...
East Lake Road to Trinity Blvd to 54 turning to 56 to 75 to 50. She said it went very smoothly.

She said very little traffic until Orlando. She said Orlando itself has the worst traffic she has seen in Florida.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
East Lake Road to Trinity Blvd to 54 turning to 56 to 75 to 50. She said it went very smoothly.

She said very little traffic until Orlando. She said Orlando itself has the worst traffic she has seen in Florida.
Ohh....I get it now...

Yeah it really is. As soon as you passed the first Disney exit it is pure torture.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Ohh....I get it now...

Yeah it really is. As soon as you passed the first Disney exit it is pure torture.
Probably worse now with vacationers and snowbirds flocking in.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or