Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:01 PM

24 posts, read 62,975 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I was born and raised and have lived all my life in the Miami area. I've gotten tired of being here for many reasons, which include rude people,its like everyone here is angry and stressed out all the time!, and although im hispanic it bothers me that employees in stores only speak spanish. Even the annoucements inside your local stores are usually only in spanish. But overall I need a change of scenery, a place where people are more laid back, but you can still go out and have a good time.

I enjoy sporting events, beaches, and social spots. I've been to the Bay area many times and like what it has to offer, I like the fact Tampa has a bit of history to it, that it has nice beaches nearby , and an amusement park too.

Has anyone on the board moved to Tampa from South Florida? If so how do you like it compared to South Florida?

To everyone else, what do you think are the major changes I will notice moving from Miami to Tampa Bay?

Thanks to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 12:27 PM

105 posts, read 549,624 times
I have not lived in South Florida but have visited often. I would say the pace of life is faster in South Florida and there are more nightlife options. Tampa offers a lot of the same but on a smaller scale but you will feel like you're in America here but there is a good mix of people. Another difference is that getting to the beach takes a lot longer in Tampa Bay if you live on the Tampa side.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 PM

Thanks for your reply Knightgoose, I kinda like the fact the pace is slower in Tampa, it seems more laid back although I've been only on weekends and have not experianced what its like on weekdays.

It does take a little longer from Tampa to Clearwater than from Miami to South Beach, I like Clearwater a little more as the white sands are awesome, but South Beach seems to have more happening in the entertainment/nightlife column.

At 34 I enjoy the lounges more than the club scene, I find Hyde Park is good when it comes to that. Ive gone to Ybor and it seems to have gotten more sketchy over the years, I wonder would it would take to turn that area around, I dont mind the clubs in Ybor, just wish there was a another type of crowd.

What area do you all prefer between Carrolwood and Town And Country?

Thanks Again

Old 01-31-2008, 04:17 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,950,754 times
i moved from ft lauderdale to tampa about 7 months ago. its way different up here but in some respects getting more like south florida. job market is not too good up here right now so thats something to consider as well. town and country is kinda like hialeah, carrollwood is pretty nice.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
its way different up here
When you say different do you mean that in a positive sense? In other words are you glad you made the move?

Funny you mention Hialeah as I was born there, I didn't think any other place could be like Hialeah, its not in place I would like to live in now, so I guess Town and Country is out of the question if its like Hialeah.

I will be checking Carrolwood this weekend when I go up.

How do you all rate the nightlife, museums, and Perfroming Arts Center? I think both the Forum and RayJay are very nice.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:50 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,950,754 times
yes i say way different in a positive way. people are friendly here for the most part, it feels like u r living in the United States where often in South Florida it did not. More than enough nightlife in south tampa, channelside, ybor, etc. women are way approachable and easygoing compared to south florida i feel. i dont think i would live in south florida again unless i was a multi millionaire.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:44 PM

849 posts, read 3,518,577 times
Default what does this mean?

I don't get this. I hope you're not referring to the ethnic mix.

[quote=JSnFla;2687828] for the most part, it feels like u r living in the United States where often in South Florida it did not.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:07 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,080,804 times
There are a few areas of TnC that aren't bad like Twelve Oaks, BayCrest, Dana Shores and Country Way.
I like Carrollwood as there is pretty much anything you want in the area even some night life with a few place like Bennigans.
Citrus Park is another area you might want to check out. Close to the mall and the express way. Close to Carrollwood shopping too

Old 02-01-2008, 07:16 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,813,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
I don't get this. I hope you're not referring to the ethnic mix.
He is. My first post was actually responding to this poster claiming the city of Fort Lauderdale was entirely almost exclusively Hispanic (city is 9.5% Hispanic, less than Tampa) So not only is this poster referring to the ethnic mix, they are referring to the perceived ethnic mix.

Theres nothing wrong with preference, but Tampa is literally no difference in terms of Hispanic population. That's besides the point that English speaking blacks from the west indies are the dominant immigrant group in Broward County while Hispanics are the dominant minority around Tampa.

Anyway, I have contemplated a move to Tampa myself. I like the more down to earth people, the abundance of water around the city, fair amount of diversity (that's right), the fact that there is a little bit of history to it (compared to this part of the state), the fact that there are more trees, and the feeling that all "classes" are included. I don't like the excessive amount of strip clubs, not as clean/polished overall, the crime, and in some areas the traffic (from Miami the latter two would be much better though). I think the biggest changes the OP will notice is the slight "redneck" undertone to the area, less crowded feel, and generally less uptight people. All and all I would call Tampa much more "comfortable" and I think the OP will find it a pleasant change.

And I definitely would NOT compare Town 'n' County to Hialeah. NEVER! I could see a loose comparison to Kendall, but definitely NOT Hialeah.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-01-2008 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-01-2008, 08:33 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,881,263 times
Hi, we were planning a move to Miami, my husband had lived there in the past, and I had visited many times. After much research, we decided Parkland or Weston was the best fit, but neither felt right. It seemed like the south FL area had changed and we started having our doubts.

We then visited Tampa (totally on a fluke) and fell in love with the area. Yes its a bit slower pace of life, but there are still great restaurants and nightlife, festivals year round, history, and of course its on the coast. And its nice not to have to look at the disparity between people- not everyone is either homeless or in a Benz in Tampa, there's all different classes, which is somewhat more realistic than Miami.

I totally have no idea what people mean about the strip clubs, we most have avoided that area altogether, which proves it must not be that difficult to avoid and they must not be quite as common as some portray.

We especially like south Tampa, you may want to check out that area, closer to downtown and the coast, with many places to go, but still quiet enough if you want to stay in.
As for crime, our city in the midwest, has just as much if not more crime than Tampa, and I have never felt endangered. As long as you stay away from certain areas, I think most places are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay