Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 925 times

Advertisements

OK, her goes.....i reside and work full time at home in PA, but my company is in FL. I was just hired recently with the agreement that I can work from home full time in PA. Now after working for them for 2 weeks they are saying I either have to move to FL, which is not an option as all my family is in PA, or become a 1099 employee. They say this is due to tax issues with PA......really,,,,,,anyone know what the deal is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 03:48 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times
I'm not a tax person, but having had a family member work for an out of state company both in and out of Florida I would call "bupkis" on this.

Ask the accounting or payroll people for the specific reason, i.e., what law or regulation they are using to force this requirement. It may just be a matter of them not wanting to hassle with collecting PA state income tax.

Are there other employees working remotely?

RM

Old 12-10-2014, 03:54 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,821,142 times
Hi there.

I am from PA, moved here two years ago for my job. So, I'll take a stab at it...

Florida has no state income tax, maybe that has something to do with it. PA and NJ (for example) have a reciprocal agreement. I used to work in NJ years ago and have family that currently lives in PA and works in NJ, so I'm familiar with how that works. It's possible that it's just not worth their effort (at least as far as they are concerned) to do what they need to make the PA taxman happy in this case.

My company is based in the Carolinas, but we have people pretty much all over the country. We're all remote employees, except for the folks that work at the various corporate offices. They have everything set up regardless of what state you live in.

Best of luck.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:21 PM

554 posts, read 977,133 times
I have worked remote on and off for the past 10yrs. Never had a company give me grief about being in a different state due to having to collect state income tax.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:05 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,525 times
When they make you 1099 what is happening to your benefits? More than likely they're doing this to cut cost. A lot of companies have been going the contractor route these days.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:31 AM

7 posts, read 48,514 times
This may be legit. A company has to file taxes for each state where they have an employee. They may need to follow various state specific regulations.

For large companies, this is not an issue as they have presence in many states. But for smaller companies, having only one employee in a state is probably a large expense.

Last edited by pifan; 12-11-2014 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-11-2014, 07:16 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,007,352 times
It would depend if they would pay you more because they won't pay you benefits or part of your tax burden, typically contractors that get 1099 make 20% more than salaried employees, having said that your move would be to get an LLC that will allow you to get creative with your taxes you could actually make more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay