Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 11:00 AM

355 posts, read 1,047,209 times

Advertisements

Checking quickly my rental options in PadMapper.com I found this strange options of $155 rent for a 1br manufactured house.

What exactly does "manufactured" mean? And is this rental for real? I'll be moving alone first, so I don't mind some discomfort during that time. That said, I don't want to live in a hell hole. What do you know about these houses?

This is the location of the place.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/20...6109cad20002c4

Gives me the impression that houses are pre-made or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 12:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
$155 sounds kinda inexpensive, are you sure thats not the monthly fee for just the lot your manufactured home is sitting on?

Quote:
Manufactured housing (commonly known as mobile homes in the United States) is a type of prefabricated housing that is largely assembled in factories and then transported to sites of use.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:28 PM

I know. There must be something wrong there. Maybe a special? I found it in a Craiglist post, which is by itself a red flag. But still, are mobile homes rents so inexpensive?

I've been checking some info on them and they seem to be that inexpensive. The problem may be finding a safe mobile home area to live in.

So far, it seems like a good option for me for my first year because I will have a house in Puerto Rico which may take some time to sell and will take a chunk of my income.

Do you recommend mobile homes are real safe options?

Old 12-14-2014, 12:36 PM

434 posts, read 530,699 times
Maybe it's a trailer that's been subdivided? Does it have a kitchen?

Old 12-14-2014, 12:59 PM

According to the photos, it's a full house. Like jambo indicated, it looks like the house was made completely somewhere and translated as a whole to the lot.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:26 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
it is not the best area my sister lives in that general area and the only reason she still does is because her house is paid off and she would never be able to get another house paid off ever again at her age so she stays in that area and she has a big dog and never has any trouble and she stays to herself . Her husband died years ago and she sort of got stuck in that area . But as long as your careful you should be okay if you are alert and stay that way . Good luck I hope you find a good place to live eventually .

Old 12-14-2014, 02:46 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
If it is too good to be true, it probably is. Not sure I would take that chance when relocating from outside of Florida. Heck, even after living here for so many years I wouldn't try to live in those areas.

From one of your relocation questions I read you are expecting 75K for your job, if the offer comes. There is no reason you try to cheap out and take unnecessary risk. When relocating to a place you don't know, it is better to probably pay higher and find your way to save money once you are here. I wouldn't take the chance as you are trying to do...you have to first be in full pieces to enjoy what you are saving

Just saying.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:05 PM

LOL Good advice Pragma. XD Believe me, I want to minimize risk as much as I can. The problem is that here in Puerto Rico I'll be selling a house. This may take some time because the market sucks big time. This means that I will have to keep paying the house here while I'm in Tampa. This payment will make a big hole in my income while the house goes unsold.

That's why I'm trying to find a cheaper option. My current plan is actually to rent a studio at first, maybe something close to $600. However, I saw this option and I thought: "Boy I can save a bunch!" But guessed I should clear it out with people who knows about the place before getting into someplace I may hate immediately.

Anyway, guess I'll stay away from these places from here on out. Thank you guys!

Old 12-14-2014, 03:11 PM

8 posts, read 7,104 times
It's possible that's per week. I came across a few of those when I was looking for a rental a few months ago.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:19 PM

That's would put me $620 per month. Weird that it is per week. Do these places have leases? May work as a temporary place to stay. Still, if it's not that safe, then it's a no go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay