Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:25 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree - and not sure, but I think I read somewhere they will be expanding that streetcar and trolley service too, once all of that gets going. I wouldn't be surprised to see some private company come along and start up some sort of transit service. I can't say enough about how pleased I am with Mayor Buckhorn. True, I am one who does not live in Tampa anymore, but as I said before it is my hometown, and my husband has worked for the government downtown for 15 years now, so I definitely have a vested interest. I love to see downtown cores developed. The fact is, Tampa is NOT the only city with suburban sprawl - you find sprawl in most states. It doesn't matter, those who want to live in suburbs can live in suburbs. Those who want urban living can be URBAN PIONEERS! That is how places start to take off. That is why all those younger New Yorkers coming to downtown are paving the way for more things to happen.

I think it is exciting to see all these things taking place. Don't forget about the InVision Master Plan - I am reposting the link here for those who have forgotten, or have never seen it in the first place:

InVisionTampa - Home

Eventually, all of those inner city neighborhoods will be developed and you will have a very vibrant urban core.
Like Chicago and NY you need exciting things in Tampa to bring in the people from the burbs. Do you think all the people you see in New York city or Chicago live there. No they come from the burbs to eat and go to bars and niteclubs and to shop. In Chicago and NY you have jewelers row nothing but jewelry stores on both sides of the street, all wanting your business and will haggle on prices to get it. I bought my wifs wedding and engagement rings there all grade a diamonds cheaper than I could get them in a jewelry store in a mall. Things like this bring in people to the city. Because they will most likely eat and drink while they are there.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:53 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Like Atlanta lost its attraction and just became a mega-city? Like New York lost its attraction and became a mega-city? Like L.A. lost its attraction and became a mega-city? Last I checked, millions of people want to live in those cities.
Why on earth would anyone want a mega-city? What purpose does it serve?

Old 01-02-2015, 10:55 AM

734 posts, read 920,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Whether or not you agree with the idea of it doesn't dismiss its validity.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:12 AM

434 posts, read 530,607 times
Quote:
Isnt that what you are doing?
No, not even remotely so.

Stop projecting your own issues onto others.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:15 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Mega-cities bring pollution (noise and air), congestion on the roadways, sidewalks, crime, all the ills of society - I'd prefer that they don't do that to Tampa. There's no reason to. And it is by no means a sign of "progress".

Old 01-02-2015, 11:21 AM

734 posts, read 920,690 times
I wouldn't worry about Tampa becoming a "mega" city any time in the next 100 years.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:25 AM

434 posts, read 530,607 times
^lmao!

It must really burn you up to see all of that valuable real estate, teeming with life and commerce in ways that a suburb could never possibly do.

Always remember, without the city, there is no civilization, let alone any suburbs.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Brings in fortune 500 companies to set up business here, brings in money, brings in people to shop and live. Just because you live out in boffo land dose not mean others don't want to live in a vibrant city. Tampa has how many fortune 500 companies compared to Chicago. And thats allot of tax revenue.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
I wouldn't worry about Tampa becoming a "mega" city any time in the next 100 years.
Quite true. Atlanta is the mega city of the south.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:09 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Whether or not you agree with the idea of it doesn't dismiss its validity.
no, certainly does not dismiss it, but if there is no compelling reason to turn a nice mid size city into
a mega-city with all the problems associated with it is not productive. Straightening out what is already in place would be wiser. Do a whole lot of urban renewal. Then you have a solid foundation to build on.
Also, bring mass transportation in. Having thousands of people driving to "the city" will give us traffic jams worse than the a.m. commute in. Then u have the added number of drunks leaving bars, clubs and other venues which will create more havoc on the roads. The residents then gain nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay