U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:30 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,978,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
Tampaguy03, have you submitted your resume to the chamber of commerce? :-)
I will be showing my wife this post as we are seriously considering a move to the Tampa area. Personally I am thinking Dunedin, Oldsmar or Safety Harbor with a move date of fall 2010. That gives us plenty of time for research and trips to validate the research.

I doo want to say even though I am a pessimist by nature, your post was truly a refreshing and ejoyable read.

Thanks and cheers
I agree, Tampaguy03 is a CD treasure. You can count on him to tell you how it is and cut through all of the negativity. The Tampa/St. Pete area is amazing in so many ways and there's just so much to do outside. I believe the ability to be outside and physically active all year long is a benefit that
cannot be overlooked.

My father insists that living there has increased his longevity by at least ten years and I believe it. He's about to celebrate his 81st birthday and his health is better than people half his age. He walks the beach a few times a day, bikes, golfs, does volunteer work, reads voraciously, and is still with it mentally. I am so thankful he and mom left the Midwest years ago and found their place in the sun. I wish you well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 09:58 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,103,626 times
Good thread. Look forward to living in Tampa again after being away since 1983 when I joined the military.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:23 PM

8 posts, read 14,411 times
What a great post- I wish more Tampa residents were as positive as Tampaguy. I love our "little city". I traveled all over the country for several years (to some Major cities) and I am happy to call Tampa home once again!

Old 08-07-2009, 04:07 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,825,110 times
As with any city, not everyone is going to love it. Imagine how crowded it would be if EVERYONE loved it and they ALL moved to Tampa. Talk about bad traffic

Old 08-07-2009, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,614 times
Get post tampaguy03, great info.

We've just moved to north Tampa from Ireland,just trying to get used to the heat & humidity !!!!, its not a little different from Ireland,its worlds apart. Settling in and getting used to life here.

Amongst other things the beaches are fab, went to Anne Marie island last week and it was absolutely fabulous, sand so clean & water so clear.

Looking forward to exploring more of Tampa.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:18 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,853,993 times
Having moved about 18 mos ago from the Bay Area up to MI, I find myself not wanting to go do anything or go anywhere up here. Someone will say ever been to the waterpark or the zoo up here, and I'll reply "you must be kidding, that's no waterpark, that's a joke".

Everything just pales in comparison to what's available to do in the Bay area, it's a great place to live.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:33 PM

92 posts, read 322,874 times
How come Jobs aren't on your little list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
So many ask...why Tampa, why do you stay? What is it about Tampa?

Well in short, the Water, the Weather, the Progress, the Activities, the History, the People.

Water -

Old 08-07-2009, 10:00 PM

473 posts, read 1,030,488 times
Default cameralens is out of focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraLens View Post
How come Jobs aren't on your little list?
Different strokes for different folks buddy. SOME people just want to relax and don't need a job. You should move here. Unemployment is really, really high. But taxes are even higher and there is a beautiful winter. I'm sure you need 4 seasons and we here in Buffalo have what will work for you.
Highest property tax in the land, high unemployment, but it's all ok because we are the only place in the country not bothered by the real estate roller coaster because we have a stable base of nothing! We don't bust here because we never BOOM!
Come and enjoy our great pizza and wings and low housing cost.
Oh and high unemployment and the highest taxes in the land!
To be fair the people here are the best in the world, we do have some of the finest architecture and it is a great life in general but I promise you winter will SUCK! And you will know your neighbors. Not saying you will like them but you will know them so that may be different than FL.
And after you get over that you have the highest property taxes in the land and the ever growing state imposed taxes and the most unorganized government at every level in the country to boot.
Moderator cut: comment
Check his posts out. He is a one trick pony.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-08-2009 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: just report him

Old 08-07-2009, 10:51 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,512,866 times
beerme1,

I think there exists a clan of always negative personality types who just desire to pour cold blustery downpours upon everything they see..no matter what..

Thank god for people like TampaGuy, Karen, and Sunnydee..to name a few who always have relevant and positive info about a great city...These people are the people anyone inquiring about the city should count on for honest opinions..

Even with some of the city's current shortcomings, which exist everywhere, Tampa is a gem of a place to live..Will be there to apartment/job hunt in 3 weeks..can hardly wait...

Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 PM

473 posts, read 1,030,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
beerme1,

I think there exists a clan of always negative personality types who just desire to pour cold blustery downpours upon everything they see..no matter what..

Thank god for people like TampaGuy, Karen, and Sunnydee..to name a few who always have relevant and positive info about a great city...These people are the people anyone inquiring about the city should count on for honest opinions..

Even with some of the city's current shortcomings, which exist everywhere, Tampa is a gem of a place to live..Will be there to apartment/job hunt in 3 weeks..can hardly wait...
Awesome! And to prove your point I will mention SoFLGal, Gypsychic and Ladywithafan for three in the Sarasota market!

By the way I have gathered loads of significant info from the trio you mention TampaGuy, Karen and Sunnydee. We are about a year into expolring a move down there and right now are leaning towards Sarasota. That is based on a lot, a lot, a lot of research. We have ruled out many towns and still find ourselves looking at real estate from Wesley Chapel to Estero Somwhere works for us! and we will recognize it for sure when it punches us in the face! (thinking Sarasota) but no matter what, we are headed that way.
Ummmm with one execption, I get the job I have applied for here. If I get that (so doubtful) then we are here forever (unfortunately) and will simply have to make do with long winter vacations. (tough break)
Since I don't think I will get the job, we will get used to getting by on less and be more satisfied being able to eat dinner on the lanai 200 nights a year versus the 10 we can here.
I do want to assure cameraLens that if I have to resign my life to that it will surely suck. Even IF we have the means to do it!

Last edited by beerme1; 08-07-2009 at 11:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay