Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 03:17 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,595,551 times

Advertisements

What's the point of resurrecting a thread that is 6 years old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 03:38 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
What's the point of resurrecting a thread that is 6 years old?
I didn't want to start a brand new thread about the Museum of History.

You mad?

Old 12-06-2013, 03:42 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I didn't want to start a brand new thread about the Museum of History.

You mad?
No, not mad. I think it would be alright to start a new thread rather than dredging up a really old thread that was not even really about the Museum of History. Understand?

Old 12-06-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post

History - the Bay area has been home to several Indian Tribes for thousands of years. The Spanish came in the 15 and 16oo's, but the American's did not start to evaluate Florida and the Tampa area until the mid 1800's. We built Fort Brooke in what is now downtown Tampa during the Seminole Indian Wars, and later used it for soldiers being shipped off for the Spanish-American War. Vincente Martinez Ybor purchased 40 acres of land just east of downtown to start his Cigar Factories. Within 10 years and by the late 1800's until the depression in the 1920's, Tampa was known throughout the world as the Cigar Capital of the World. Immigrants came to Tampa from Italy, Spain, and Cuba to prosper in the Cigar Capital. Henry B Plant chose Tampa to expand his railroad from the North, and that led to many tourists to flock to the warm temperatures, and an increase in Trade. Many of the established neighborhoods from the early 20th century still exist(Hyde Park, Tampa Heights, West Tampa, Seminole Heights, Ybor City), and have numerous architectural buildings, homes, and landscapes. The area has a unique Cuban-Latin American flavor to it. A few interesting tid bits about Tampa include it has one of the largest Civil War largest Confederate grave sites(Oaklawn Cemetery), Ella Fitzgerald lived in Tampa and recorded some of her biggest hits here, Ray Charles made his first recording in Tampa and Tampa is where the "The Twist" dance craze was born, Rev. Billy Graham started his practice in downtown Tampa, and peolpe like Teddy Roosevelt, Elvis Presley, Thomas Edison, Mark Twain, John F Kennedy, James Brown, Babe Ruth, Jack Dempsey and more have all left footprints of some kind here in Tampa.

I discovered all of this today during a trip to Tampa Bay Museum of History.

It was great. I highly recommend locals visit it at least once.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:07 PM

on another note:

video of the extension of the Riverwalk downtown Tampa....was down there today and things look awesome from Channelside onward.....

Kennedy Segment Fly-thru, The Tampa Riverwalk on Vimeo

Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 AM

looks like airfest is on again...

AirFest returning to MacDill in March

Old 12-11-2013, 03:26 PM

Fort De Soto named top family beach | Things to do in Tampa Bay | Tampa Bay Times

Old 02-15-2015, 07:50 AM

17 posts, read 26,251 times
Thanks for this post, I have been thinking about moving to Texas. Then my son said mom why not move to Florida, which I did not think to do, the weather is better than New Jersey which is where I am from. However currently living in England and I am planning to move back to the states as the weather here is horrible and it's very expensive, I have had enough. I then started to do research as I am a single mom 1 son and want my son to go to a good school and live in a desent neighbourhood safe neighbourhood with lots do do. A friend recommend New Tampa area and Wiregrass high school. I am so pleased to have read such a positive post, there is a lot I did not know about Tampa. Thank for the history, Tampa have so much to offer us, I am more excited than ever....

Old 02-16-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJ2121 View Post
Thanks for this post, I have been thinking about moving to Texas. Then my son said mom why not move to Florida, which I did not think to do, the weather is better than New Jersey which is where I am from. However currently living in England and I am planning to move back to the states as the weather here is horrible and it's very expensive, I have had enough. I then started to do research as I am a single mom 1 son and want my son to go to a good school and live in a desent neighbourhood safe neighbourhood with lots do do. A friend recommend New Tampa area and Wiregrass high school. I am so pleased to have read such a positive post, there is a lot I did not know about Tampa. Thank for the history, Tampa have so much to offer us, I am more excited than ever....
Good luck w/ the possible move. There are a lot of good things about the area - and bad, of course. Some say that it's difficult to make new friends - because there are so many transplants, every man/woman for themselves - I kind of agree w/ this sentiment. You'll have to find your own community then find people w/ similar interests. This area does get hot/humid from May - October and the state is becoming very populated. With population, comes more social ills that you read about every day here in the TB area.....

Old 05-19-2015, 06:40 PM

Good news for Tampa

Counting Down the 20 Greenest Cities in America | Travel + Leisure

No. 11 Tampa 10 of 21
The Florida city got high marks for its seemingly unpolluted vibe, ranking in the top 10 for both cleanliness and quiet. The city also has its own flavor of farm-to-table eating: Fodder & Shine in Seminole Heights salutes the early 20th century “Florida Cracker” cuisine—like rabbit and cornmeal dumplings, grilled frog legs and “cracker” beef pot roast, derived from the smaller, local cows. And at Elevage, in the Epicurean Hotel, the menu is not so much farm-to-table as wall-to-table: you can select your salad from a living wall inside the hotel (and do likewise in the hotel’s Evangeline spa, which has a living wall of treatment herbs). Bayshore Boulevard is a scenic spot for renting a bicycle, and you can ride without fear: the locals ranked in the survey’s top 10 for being good drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay