U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:45 AM

367 posts, read 1,534,818 times

Advertisements

But you wont get waterfront with a dock for your budget, however, you might be able to find something nearby. What you will get there is the access (on foot if you want via the waterfront walks and parks) to downtown which has a nice small city atmosphere and a marina, waterfront, lots of little restaurants and several musueums and galleries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 04:07 PM

7 posts, read 28,078 times
I'd pick the beach over a river. That's just because I hate snakes & alligators.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:35 PM

30 posts, read 117,872 times
Default We live on Davis Islands

In is in the city. I can see the skyline from my bedroom window or walk to the Marina. It is a secluded affluent (but not snooty) community. I am a Tampa native - feel free to ask me any questions you want. Oh, and very importantly, I am 10 minutes to Int'l mall....

Old 01-30-2008, 05:52 PM

4 posts, read 10,100 times
Default God stay where U are.

I lived 27 years in CA that included La Jolla
and San Juan Cap.
Florida is 40 years behind the time. The humidity
during summer will kill you.
The legislature does absolutely nothing.
Consumers have no rights.
Wake up.

Ingrid

Old 01-30-2008, 11:17 PM

849 posts, read 3,199,505 times
Default some more ideas

NE St. Pete if you find a fixer would give you all the things you're looking for. there's a fresh farmers mkt. every Sat. in downtown and it's an easy commute to Int'l Plaza and the airport. The suggestions of Oldsmar and Safety Harbor don't mention that they're at the top of the bay so the water doesn't circulate, it's almost like a lake and those beaches frequently get nasty.If you're a Neiman's girl you won't want to go there. It's also not an easy ride any place else. Lots of city traffic.
There is a cooperative organic farm right next to the airport. you can go there an buy retail or you can pay a membership and buy at a discount.
Sweetwater Organic Community Farm Been there, it's pretty interesting. as with fresh farmers markets, things can vary.
lalorenala is right about the beaches, not a really upscale one in sight but she's wrong about So. Tampa. if you want waterfront and convenience to the mall. Davis Islands would get you non-swimmable water but Hyde Park won't get you any for your price, despite the decent restaurants. It's not far in miles to I Plaza but traffic can make it as long as coming over the bridge from St Pete.
I don't believe in taking restaurant reviews from strangers. Food is so subjective. There are nice restaurants in downtown St. Pete too that people love. I can't help there anyway. we are kosher and we're dying for a decent meal out. Guess I gotta go to LA or NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleoelle View Post
I saw a post from earlier this year where there were lots of suggestions for a professional coming from Chicago - but my needs are a little more specific and I'm having a hard time finding anyone who can understand my needs as well as knowing the Tampa area.

I'm relocating to be closer to family, but nothing near them in Pasco Cty comes close. I'm 40, work from home, a single female who just wants a single family house with an office and guestroom. My family doesn't quite understand why I'd prefer to be within 30 mins of Int'l Mall. I'd rather not have to drive an hour for Nordstrom or Neiman's and I'm a beach girl who needs her water nearby. There's one organic market in Pasco county and the produce there was inedible, I'm thinking a more upscale area would provide a few more options. I know these may all seem trivial, but I also know the daily little creature comforts I need so it's not a total culture shock.

I have come across a few homes in Brandon I liked - on the Alafia river - but I'm unsure of the amenities locally - realtor.com shows the closest retail to the one house I liked was a Big Lots. My budget is under 400K and I want the cheap house in the affluent area rather than the nicest house on a cheap street.

So any suggestions for where I can live on the water (river would be best - no manmade lakes) within a half hour max of the airport/Int'l Mall? I don't golf - so that's not an issue. Waterfront is the major requirement and I'd prefer to stay away from the whole planned gated community. I don't care about the age of the home. Location is the important thing to me.

Thanks in advance to any "potential neighbors" who might be able to give input!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:05 PM

427 posts, read 971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmHarbor View Post
I lived 27 years in CA that included La Jolla
and San Juan Cap.
Florida is 40 years behind the time. The humidity
during summer will kill you.
The legislature does absolutely nothing.
Consumers have no rights.
Wake up.

Ingrid
I was in Newport Beach about 8 years ago. I saw Heather Locklear and later Dennis Rodman during my trip. I also lived in Boca Raton. But the weather like you said is the big factor. My mom and brother went for a walk a few minutes ago. They were back in 3 minutes. They hard a hard time breathing due to the humidity. And it's night time out! Once you've gotten a taste of that SoCal weather, you're ruined. You're spoiled. It's like getting a hit of crack.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:38 AM

62 posts, read 159,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Do you want waterfront, or beachfront? If it's the former, there's Davis Islands. You wouldn't get the biggest house in the neighborhood, but it'd probably serve.
I agree 100%. There is also a Publix Greenwise market very close by. It is also a great area for singles with lots to do & close to great shopping. I am a Tampa native and know these areas well. I would def. check out any South Tampa areas. Just be prepared to give up size for LOCATION! Check out Davis Island, Hyde Park, Beach Park. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:28 PM

6,351 posts, read 5,125,051 times
Hyde Park in Tampa has the right feel - affluent and hip with beautiful old houses.

However, it's not near the beach. If you're a beach girl, check out the barrier islands west of St Petersburg-Clearwater. I don't know if they are affluent or hip but they have beautiful beaches and you might find an area that is suitable for young single people; I don't know the area very well.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:42 PM

485 posts, read 842,884 times
I think you'll be very happy in certain parts of South Tampa: Hyde Park, Beach Park, Palma Ceia, etc. I have lived in California and I am telling you, you are correct to want to be close to the major arteries and especially to International Plaza. My godmom lives in Beach Park and she can get from Swann Circle, where she lives, to International Plaza in 5 minutes. She can go almost anywhere, whether to Walmart or to Nordstrom or to Home Depot or to the Apple store or to Whole Foods in less than 10 minutes. She is also 5 minutes from the post office, Publix, cupcake bakeries, great doctors, garden centers, UPS Store, Starbucks, chain takeout, ginormous LA Fitness is opening in fall, etc.

You want to stay close to major roads so you can get out quickly when you need to, either by freeway or by plane. You want to stay in the aforementioned parts of South Tampa so you can get your organic stuff at Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Village Health Market; Trader Joe's will be an hour away in Sarasota come fall. But eventually I am sure they will open a TJ's in South Tampa.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:49 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,426,990 times
Why are you responding to a thread that is four years old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay