Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Buying home in Tampa Bay, school considerations, pros and cons of South Tampa, private versus public schooling, private school costs, Dale Mabry and Roosevelt, housing bubble Florida market

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 AM

56 posts, read 69,462 times

Advertisements

Hello Y'all....
We finally decided to move to Tampa and settle down in South Tampa. Various pros and cons.. but wanted to clarify the following:
  • We are looking to buy in the 500-700K range.
  • We want to buy 0 to 5 yr old homes (afraid of older ones)
  • We saw a lot of wonderful 'new builds' in the 'South of Gandy' (SOG) area near Interbay that are around 500K
  • For the same 500K and 4 miles north, the houses are not that good (North of Gandy - NOG)... If we have to buy a house that sells for 500K in SOG, it is atleast 600+ in NOG.
  • Schools in NOG are supposed to be the best (we are looking at only Elementary Schools at this time)
  • Schools in SOG are not that great

Why so much difference b/w NOG and SOG, as far as house prices are considered? They are only 4 miles or so apart!
Is this because of the AirForce base (aircraft noise, etc)
*disclaimer - I have never visited Tampa ... planning on going there next month for house hunting *

Regarding schools, here is our dilemma...
  • We are thinking of buying in SOG and sending our kid to private school...
  • Can anybody here tell us the cost of private schooling (Elementary) in the NOG/SOG area?
  • Do you think Dale Mabry Elementary and/or Roosevelt Elementary are better than the private schools in the area?

Schooling is a major decision for us in choosing NOG/SOG.
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 05:04 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
Default Private schools and such

Hi there--I've been in your shoes!! We actually ended up in NW Tampa for the private school we ended up choosing. But there are good private schools in a number of Tampa areas. You can go to NAIS - National Association of Independent Schools if you want to get info on private schools--that's the organization I trust. If you want specifically religious schools, you will have to go to their accreditation sites. There are some EXCELLENT (and pricey) Catholic schools in town--and I mean really top schools. There is Berkeley prep (sp?), but that's a bit of a hike from deep South Tampa. St. John's Episcopal is my parish school and we nearly went there (it's in the Hyde Park area), it's a classical education. But I do not know specifically of ANY private schools south of Gandy?? Maybe someone else can help.

We considered south Tampa too for public schools, but couldn't find much in the price point we had unless we went South of Gandy, either. But we also just didn't like that area--the main street, Dale Mabry, is just NASTY there--visually. The planning was terrible when the area began to boom and it's just depressing to me. So I wouldn't live there, personally.

Our private school is $10k/year per child without the cost of uniforms or books or other fees, and unless you go to a religious school that's a fair price. The top Catholic schools are that or more. Berkeley is way more.

I wouldn't say Dale Mabry and Roosevelt are "better" than private schools, but you'll do just fine there. And Plant High is excellent.
We ended up in NW Tampa b/c it's more aesthetically pleasing and better developed (more green space), and has decent public and a great private school where my kids go. If your heart's set on South Tampa, depending on what you want, I think you can find a new home there in your price range--they have infill houses, tear-downs, that sort of thing. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Anne

Last edited by annesg; 01-08-2008 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: add more info

Old 01-08-2008, 07:00 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
There is a reason for the difference in the schools between NOG and SOG, money.. simple as that. Some areas NOG are some of the most prestigous areas in Tampa, old money.
SOG is changing with ppl buying up old houses in Port Tampa and fixing them up. I have family who live NOG and SOG who love living there. Since I don't know how the schools rate I will leave that to other posters. My stepsons and grandchildren have all gone to public schools in that area. My nieces and nephew went to St Patricks until HS.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Hi there--I've been in your shoes!! We actually ended up in NW Tampa for the private school we ended up choosing. But there are good private schools in a number of Tampa areas. You can go to NAIS - National Association of Independent Schools if you want to get info on private schools--that's the organization I trust. If you want specifically religious schools, you will have to go to their accreditation sites. There are some EXCELLENT (and pricey) Catholic schools in town--and I mean really top schools. There is Berkeley prep (sp?), but that's a bit of a hike from deep South Tampa. St. John's Episcopal is my parish school and we nearly went there (it's in the Hyde Park area), it's a classical education. But I do not know specifically of ANY private schools south of Gandy?? Maybe someone else can help.

We considered south Tampa too for public schools, but couldn't find much in the price point we had unless we went South of Gandy, either. But we also just didn't like that area--the main street, Dale Mabry, is just NASTY there--visually. The planning was terrible when the area began to boom and it's just depressing to me. So I wouldn't live there, personally.

Our private school is $10k/year per child without the cost of uniforms or books or other fees, and unless you go to a religious school that's a fair price. The top Catholic schools are that or more. Berkeley is way more.

I wouldn't say Dale Mabry and Roosevelt are "better" than private schools, but you'll do just fine there. And Plant High is excellent.
We ended up in NW Tampa b/c it's more aesthetically pleasing and better developed (more green space), and has decent public and a great private school where my kids go. If your heart's set on South Tampa, depending on what you want, I think you can find a new home there in your price range--they have infill houses, tear-downs, that sort of thing. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Anne
Thanks a lot for the info, Anne... 12K per annum per child is what I was planning on... We have a 3 yr old and I want to plan ahead.
you are correct, that the NW Tampa area is very pleasing. I have looked (on the Internet) at houses in the FeatherSound area and Pinellas county. Very nice houses for the price range.

Another area that I am looking at is extreme south St.Petersburg. There are some good 'Fundamental' schools in that area, I guess..
BTW, do you require some kind of membership to search school data/reports in NAIS? I will dig around and check... thanks for the link.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:30 AM

548 posts, read 540,522 times
ts_ohio....as a former Buckeye I implore you to RENT!!!! My goodness, that price range is bubble central.

You will be coming into a new area and would have to guarantee staying 20 years or more in the same house to justify buying right now. I highly doubt you can do that.

You can rent a house in that price range for half the cost of owning, put your savings into a 6% CD, and get the same house much cheaper in 12-18 months.

Please read the housing bubble blog for full information on the Florida market.

Our OSU football team got creamed last night...don't you get creamed by buying overpriced real estate in a market you do not know very well!!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:44 AM

367 posts, read 1,686,988 times
The fundamental school programs which are free are very good. There are a number in pinellas county and just last year Osceola High School became a fundamental High.
There are several magnets in middle schools too. I think that some of the smaller private schools are pretty decent in Pinellas, having put my children through public, I am pleased with Seminole schools in general and ST Pete High (where they have the IB program) also Palm Harbor University High Sch has IB. Extreme South Side St Pete is good, I have friends who live in beautiful homes there. Feather Sound, now it has a shopping center and medical centerclose by it seems less remote. I know people who live there also, and they love the convenience of it. Renting is a good option till you know what you want. Check on the rules for the different counties for access to public schools, zoning/choice etc., Pinellas has just ruled a new change, and Hillsborough has Choice Ithink (which many folks feel means 'no choice'!)
I'm not sure on the prediction on waiting 20 years to see a return on a purchase, I hope not, I would like to move before then

Old 01-10-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainbrit View Post
The fundamental school programs which are free are very good. There are a number in pinellas county and just last year Osceola High School became a fundamental High.
There are several magnets in middle schools too. I think that some of the smaller private schools are pretty decent in Pinellas, having put my children through public, I am pleased with Seminole schools in general and ST Pete High (where they have the IB program) also Palm Harbor University High Sch has IB. Extreme South Side St Pete is good, I have friends who live in beautiful homes there. Feather Sound, now it has a shopping center and medical centerclose by it seems less remote. I know people who live there also, and they love the convenience of it. Renting is a good option till you know what you want. Check on the rules for the different counties for access to public schools, zoning/choice etc., Pinellas has just ruled a new change, and Hillsborough has Choice Ithink (which many folks feel means 'no choice'!)
I'm not sure on the prediction on waiting 20 years to see a return on a purchase, I hope not, I would like to move before then

I just spoke to a school president who is in the Pinellas SD... she was saying that the zoning information and an interactive website that tells which SD a particular address belongs to will be online in a couple of weeks...
Private schools are always an option, irrespective of where we will end up living... but if there are excellent public schools, why pay...

It probably will be 3 or 4 years before we see prices come back to today's range, even if they fell, I guess..
I hope I am right in assuming if we purchase now, staying put for 7 or so years will be required to recoup our current purchase price... I am not sure about renting, though.. too much hassle

Old 01-10-2008, 09:22 AM

I think you should consider the whole work situation too. My husband unfortunately commutes from west pinellas to Polk eachday and that is a major hassle. But if you live in NE st pete and near to 275 (despite what others may say) its not that bad to get to west or downtown tampa/kennedy area even up by airport.
Where will you be working? Are you normal rush hour drive times, or something like hospital/nursing where there will be potentially early start/late finish times? That can make a huge difference. Also if both at work and there is a child crisis, how do you deal with that? When you are not at work, and spending time with family, where do you want to be, what do youwant to do?

Old 01-10-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainbrit View Post
I think you should consider the whole work situation too. My husband unfortunately commutes from west pinellas to Polk eachday and that is a major hassle. But if you live in NE st pete and near to 275 (despite what others may say) its not that bad to get to west or downtown tampa/kennedy area even up by airport.
Where will you be working? Are you normal rush hour drive times, or something like hospital/nursing where there will be potentially early start/late finish times? That can make a huge difference. Also if both at work and there is a child crisis, how do you deal with that? When you are not at work, and spending time with family, where do you want to be, what do youwant to do?
Actually, I will be working on Davis Island and downtown St Pete (near the Tropicana stadium).. usually it is 50/50 (few months on DAvis island and few months in St pete)..
That is why we were considering South/North of Gandy in South Tampa.. Clearwater and areas close to 275/Gandy in Pinellas also are a consideration, but the schools are better in SouthTampa...

Too many variables, unfortunately, to make a decision..

Old 01-10-2008, 02:51 PM

Then if you are fifty fifty with work, go with the schools and best of luck with househunting, I'm sure you will find the right place for you in the current market, given time and advice and doing research. However, I don't know why you are not considering NE St Pete it's about 25 mins to Davis Island from there (I think!) on a good drive, without RTAs taking Gandy. There are some lovely houses behind the Dog Track around Weedon Island and Caya Costa locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay