Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 01:49 PM

36 posts, read 58,487 times

Advertisements

I know it's because I'm not from Tampa, but I find the general Tampa/Tampa Bay area very confusing. I'm from Miami, and looking to move out of the city to another part of FL. Tampa is in sights, but I'm looking for a particular region of it. It looks like many parts (St. Petersburg, etc.), so excuse my confusion.

I'm a 20 something looking for an area with decent job growth (I'm interested in film, but I know that's primarily LA, which is my move later on); anything writing related is ideal). An area with lighter traffic and "better" drivers-- I know there's always going to be crazy people in the world, yet, better in the sense than Miami A safe area generally, with amenities for entertainment. I'm not a huge partier, but would appreciate knowing I have opportunities nearby, if desired. Also, a region with a younger population; 20's to 30's. I went to UF, but do not think a college town setting is for me right now. More, young professional

-Jobs
-Lighter traffic
-Younger Crowd
-Amenities

Is there an area around Tampa where this might be found? At least to an extent? Appreciate all your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 06:55 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,975,951 times
What part of Miami are you coming from?

Tampa Bay is a huge sprawl, Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater make up the area. They are like smaller cities spread out far from each other. (Think Miami/Weston/Ft. Lauderdale... without all the money.)

Your best bets may be downtown St. Pete, or South Tampa. I'm in South Tampa now and looking to move to Miami soon. It's not for everyone, but it fits me better than here. Let's trade places? lol.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:21 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,586,604 times
You really cannot lump these 4 categories into one in any city in FL, maybe find that in rural areas...
"-Jobs
-Lighter traffic
-Younger Crowd
-Amenities"

Next to jobs, (DT Tampa), there are really bad areas, not somewhere you'd want to live next to; then there's South Tampa which is expensive; No such thing as "lighter traffic"; we used to live in Miami too, and guess what; what we see on the Turnpike between WPB and Miami is what you'll see here in I-4 and 275 now. The younger crowd is in Channelside, or is trying to live there, and also on SOHO =South Of Howard Blvd. Or downtown St Pete, which would be my choice in your case.

What amenities? some consider tennis courts amenities, others consider golf, some consider the beach etc...

Old 01-28-2015, 08:10 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,067,231 times
It is the same when someone is thinking of moving to Ft Lauderdale, Coral Springs, Hialeah, Miami Lakes, etc etc - its all Miami to outsiders. Tampa is Tampa (Hillsborough County) St Pete and Clearwater and lots of other towns are in Pinellas County, one is west of Tampa Bay (the bay itself) and the other is on east side. Check out a map of Tampa bay you will see what I mean.
Downtown St Pete or Soho areas might work for you has a younger vibe.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:04 PM

2,571 posts, read 1,733,389 times
Lighter traffic doesn't exist in Tampa Bay. The Bay area Counties are Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco. Rush hour traffic is bad in the am and pm hours. It is also bad in the winter and summer. Plenty of jobs. As for Younger Crowd? I don't know of an area specificity, but my guess would be in the neighborhood of The University of Tampa. Lots of new Condo's have been built in that area. It is not a party school area. A more professional area. I hope this helps you.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:01 PM

36 posts, read 58,487 times
I appreciate everyone answering!

Jsun- I'm from Kendall. Lol right away! I've been tired of Miami for years, but am finally getting around to making the much needed change.

PhotoPro- I understand about the cities in FL being short of all those wants. I'm also open to looking to outskirt regions of Tampa, if necessary. Amenities such as organic restaurants, or a Whole Foods nearby, a movie theater, etc.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:36 PM

279 posts, read 313,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Lighter traffic doesn't exist in Tampa Bay. The Bay area Counties are Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco. Rush hour traffic is bad in the am and pm hours. It is also bad in the winter and summer. Plenty of jobs. As for Younger Crowd? I don't know of an area specificity, but my guess would be in the neighborhood of The University of Tampa. Lots of new Condo's have been built in that area. It is not a party school area. A more professional area. I hope this helps you.
I'm not sure I'd agree with this. I mean, Hillsborough and Pinellas, yes. Manatee and Pasco are a stretch though.

/imho

Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 PM

9 posts, read 15,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile67 View Post
Amenities such as organic restaurants, or a Whole Foods nearby, a movie theater, etc.
There are a few organic restaurants here, but you may have better luck living in the area which best suits you and driving to a restaurant. Same with Whole Foods: we have two, I believe: one in Carrollwood and one close to I-275. Movie theaters are fairly plentiful here, but are usually on busier roads.

Maybe order the list in your first post in terms of priorities? Such as: 1. Jobs / 2. Younger Crowd / 3. Amenities. I agree you will not find "lighter traffic."

As for "younger crowd," many neighborhoods are mixed. The older folk don't all hang out together here.

But yes, some areas have more of a younger crowd vibe, like Channelside or SOHO, as PhotoProIP mentioned. Both are in South Tampa, as is the University of Tampa.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:43 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,987,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor0101 View Post
I'm not sure I'd agree with this. I mean, Hillsborough and Pinellas, yes. Manatee and Pasco are a stretch though.

/imho
Well, seeing as the majority of posters here considering anything in Florida part of the "Tampa Bay area," it's not much of a stretch. However, a lot do consider "Tampa" to be any piece of land that falls within the limits of Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas, Manatee, and Hernando counties.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:45 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,987,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
SOHO =South Of Howard Blvd.
Howard runs north and south, don't go looking for "south of Howard."

SoHo actually stands for "South Howard."

As for what you're looking for, South Tampa would definitely be the area you should check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay