Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 07:01 PM

76 posts, read 121,441 times

Advertisements

I just recently visited the Tampa area and wasn't impressed at all.
Much of the western half of Tampa, across the bay, feels like one giant elongated strip-mall with awful traffic and too many trailer homes (St. Petersburg area). Downtown St. Pete was the nice exception, but the surrounding areas were very blah.

Clearwater was fairly decent, especially the beach island areas were very nice.
How's the economy there I wonder? There's a skyscraper in Clearwater that's half completed but is abandoned, lol. What happened there?

Downtown Tampa felt empty and deserted, during the day at least when I drove & walked through it. The trolley down there is a total gimmick and serves no actual functional purpose. I based this view after looking at a map of where the trolley goes. I don't even recall seeing any trolleys running at the time, they must only run at night?

Aside from having nice beaches and good weather, there's not much else that stood out or impressed me. The horrible traffic was enough to write Tampa off my list of cities I might want to live in.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:37 PM

734 posts, read 920,516 times
Good. We have enough people. I wish more people felt that way.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:05 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,903 times
You could say a lot of these things about any major metro in the South.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:19 PM

76 posts, read 121,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I was in Jacksonville FL recently too and it didn't feel that way at all. But JAX area has less people and is very large (land wise).

What really amazed me most about the St. Pete/Tampa area was the lackluster architecture. Trailer homes and cookie cutter houses galore! Yuck.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:38 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Nomad View Post
Much of the western half of Tampa, across the bay, feels like one giant elongated strip-mall with awful traffic and too many trailer homes (St. Petersburg area). Downtown St. Pete was the nice exception, but the surrounding areas were very blah.

How's the economy there I wonder? There's a skyscraper in Clearwater that's half completed but is abandoned, lol. What happened there?

Downtown Tampa felt empty and deserted, during the day at least when I drove & walked through it. The trolley down there is a total gimmick and serves no actual functional purpose. I based this view after looking at a map of where the trolley goes. I don't even recall seeing any trolleys running at the time, they must only run at night?

Aside from having nice beaches and good weather, there's not much else that stood out or impressed me. The horrible traffic was enough to write Tampa off my list of cities I might want to live in.
There are a ton of people here, because nobody likes it.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:54 PM

734 posts, read 920,516 times
And it's all trailer parks, except for the 99.9% of Tampa Bay that isn't.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:29 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Gee, everyone is so negative, but I have to agree with the OP. Tampa isn't for everyone, and as a longtime former resident of Tampa, that's pretty much how I feel about the city. I much prefer some of the other big cities Florida has to offer.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:48 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Quote:

I'll ignore the fact that none of this is "West Tampa." West Tampa is a very small neighborhood within the city limits of Tampa (not a half hour away from Tampa) that was built in an attempt to recreate the success of Ybor.

Quote:
Downtown Tampa felt empty during the day? Yeah... Ok. Where exactly in "downtown" did you "drive & walk through?" You're right though... The trolley is a gimmick. It goes absolutely nowhere anyone would want to go... Ybor City, the Tampa Convention Center, the Ice Palace... Absolutely nowhere. It's a waste.

Quote:
Since you don't even seem to know where Tampa actually is, I'm wondering what city this "traffic" is actually in.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:50 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,453 times
Your a troll you basically just copied a post from someone who posted recently about the same thing people on city data are so unoriginal. Basically taking stupid lies from people to create a thread with no intention of it being beneficial to anybody.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:28 AM

161 posts, read 273,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Tampa is a major metro area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay