Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:52 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times

Advertisements

If they were just adding lanes that we had to pay for I would be down, but to pull one of our lanes away and charge us to ride on it is wrong (which is likely what will be done). If they were to put a crosstown style upper deck on 275 or something I would be ok with that and would be willing to pay as it would actually alleviate traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 01:30 PM

212 posts, read 286,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
If they were just adding lanes that we had to pay for I would be down, but to pull one of our lanes away and charge us to ride on it is wrong (which is likely what will be done). If they were to put a crosstown style upper deck on 275 or something I would be ok with that and would be willing to pay as it would actually alleviate traffic.
Any lanes that are now free will stay free. According to FL law, if an existing lane was not tolled on July 1, 2012, it can not be tolled unless the law is changed. Tolls can only be applied to new lanes or lanes that had tolls on them before that date. This is the law as written (2012 Florida statue 338.151)

Old 01-28-2015, 01:50 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
same here - if you can cut down your drive time by 20-30 mins, what is your time worth? $10? For a person who makes $100+/hr as a lawyer, doctor, or whatever....time is money......

Old 01-28-2015, 05:18 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I've been very happy with the Sun Pass system where they're able to track your use without stopping at a toll booth.....last time I drove around Orlando on the toll system, I recall that my Sun Pass system worked - I don't remember stopping and paying there.
We used a different car and forgot to take our Sun pass BUT we noticed that where we were driving it was all Epass or something like that so Sun Pass wouldn't have worked. it was like every few minutes driving to the right side and paying again. $ 2.25, than $ 1.25 a few times, etc.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:24 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Sunpass works with Epass.
People making $100 an hour don't live an hour from where they work especially not in Tampa. In general terms of course.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:30 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
For a person who makes $100+/hr as a lawyer, doctor, or whatever....time is money......
I don't think those people should be given preferential treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird45 View Post
Tolls can only be applied to new lanes or lanes that had tolls on them before that date.
But even that shouldn't be allowed. If they want to use a toll to pay for a new road, that might be acceptable. But that isn't what the law says. The law allows them to keep tolling even after the construction bond is paid off. They'll just keep pocketing the money as long as their apologists allow them to.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:01 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
I don't think those people should be given preferential treatment.

But even that shouldn't be allowed. If they want to use a toll to pay for a new road, that might be acceptable. But that isn't what the law says. The law allows them to keep tolling even after the construction bond is paid off. They'll just keep pocketing the money as long as their apologists allow them to.
You miss the point. What is the preferential treatment? They pay the toll.

My point was that for someone who makes a ton, paying the toll isn't an issue and worth it to them. Can't afford the toll, don't use the lane.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
If they ADD a lane and pay for it with TOLLS in the end, I am all for it.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:38 PM

170 posts, read 233,939 times
This is a multi billion dollar project which will take 10-20 years to complete. Political ideology in Tallahassee is giving us sub par opportunities for transit, while Orlando has chased/received true transportation goals for the 21st century.

$1 billion to add express lanes from Westshore to Ybor.
$5 billion to add throughout Tampa Bay region.

We will pay for this in one way or another. I personally think certain segments of the freeway could use additional lanes. However the whole idea of this alleviating our traffic woe's is a flat out lie.

We need a comprehensive transportation system (bus, ferry, rail, roads).

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by gjosephunf; 01-28-2015 at 07:47 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 05:38 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
I don't care as much for the public transit, I'm sure I would use it once in a while if it was here but certainly wouldnt rely on it for day to day use. I would however love a fast lane to get to work so im not sitting in traffic for an hour when the commute could be 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay