U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2015, 07:31 PM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,706 posts, read 8,778,625 times
Reputation: 5072

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Have been drinking skim milk for decades. Never had a problem with Publix milk until recently though I don't absolutely know if it's them or that I've cut down quite a bit lately on drinking milk. I used to buy by the gallon but now I don't go through it before the expiration date. But also I've thrown a few containers out recently near the date (either right before or shortly thereafter) because I noticed it smelling gamey.

I've gotten sick a number of times from other Publix foods (usually the frozen) and a few times I've complained. Once they sent me a Styrofoam hazard container to return the item which they supposedly tested and declared was not contaminated but I know for a fact that was all I ate when I got sick. So I don't really trust them. You have to be especially careful of anything they put on sale. But also if their ice cream looks at all like it was defrosted, even if not on sale, return it without eating.

They did a better job back when they had more competition. Now that they've cornered the market, it's pretty much a rip off. Publix, where shopping is uncertain.
Which one do you go to.....if you don't mind.
__________________
My mod posts will be bolded in red.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2015, 04:13 AM
 
Location: Tampa
734 posts, read 728,901 times
Reputation: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
Never had a problem with Publix milk... or any of their foods

Plus their deli (subs, ham, fried chicken) is AWESOME!!!
Try the sun dried tomato Cuban wrap pressed w/ a little butter.

*drool*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 04:15 PM
 
1,500 posts, read 2,783,861 times
Reputation: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Which one do you go to.....if you don't mind.
I would think any Publix ought to be similar and certainly the quality ought to reflect the prices, which are quite high. I rarely buy vegetables there anymore because you can find so much better prices just about anywhere and I buy tofu for about 1/3rd the price Publix charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 06:04 PM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,706 posts, read 8,778,625 times
Reputation: 5072
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
I would think any Publix ought to be similar and certainly the quality ought to reflect the prices, which are quite high. I rarely buy vegetables there anymore because you can find so much better prices just about anywhere and I buy tofu for about 1/3rd the price Publix charges.
I was wondering about their refrigeration unit at one location specifically.
__________________
My mod posts will be bolded in red.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 11:35 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
367 posts, read 396,257 times
Reputation: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Try the sun dried tomato Cuban wrap pressed w/ a little butter.

*drool*


Gives me a/another reason to go to Publix this week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 05:24 AM
 
34,240 posts, read 41,253,416 times
Reputation: 29696
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I was wondering about their refrigeration unit at one location specifically.
If you are continually getting milk that goes bad before its expiry date I'd be concerned about the refrigeration at the store you actually buy the milk as a dairy is highly regulated when it comes to cooler temperatures and they have engineers going around regularly checking a myriad of temperatures gauges on various aspects of the operation in a place thats usually at least 4X bigger than the super market,a supermarket isnt as vigilant about its cooler temps.,,
You can sometimes get some bad milk from the plant if one or more of the lines that transport the milk to the coolers from the production machines breaks down and anywhere from 20-60 piles (7 high)of milk get stranded on the conveyor line or hundreds of individual milks get stuck on the machine at room temperature for several hours,when the problem gets fixed all that stranded milk continues on its way into the coolers/.

Last edited by jambo101; 02-04-2015 at 05:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Terra
2,827 posts, read 3,199,468 times
Reputation: 3339
I am not sure how you all can just drink dairy milk straight up like that. Kinda gross!

Cheese is good though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 08:58 AM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,706 posts, read 8,778,625 times
Reputation: 5072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you are continually getting milk that goes bad before its expiry date I'd be concerned about the refrigeration at the store you actually buy the milk as a dairy is highly regulated when it comes to cooler temperatures and they have engineers going around regularly checking a myriad of temperatures gauges on various aspects of the operation in a place thats usually at least 4X bigger than the super market,a supermarket isnt as vigilant about its cooler temps.,,
You can sometimes get some bad milk from the plant if one or more of the lines that transport the milk to the coolers from the production machines breaks down and anywhere from 20-60 piles (7 high)of milk get stranded on the conveyor line or hundreds of individual milks get stuck on the machine at room temperature for several hours,when the problem gets fixed all that stranded milk continues on its way into the coolers/.
Thx. I think I will have to give the store a call, to give them a heads up that there may be an issue.
__________________
My mod posts will be bolded in red.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 10:44 AM
 
1,500 posts, read 2,783,861 times
Reputation: 1227
Happened yet again. This time with a half gallon of half&half. Poured some into coffee this morning and noticed some floating on top the mug so I took a sniff of the container dated April 19th (Today March 9th). The damned thing is already soured.

To paraphrase a TV quote: So now not only have they sold me a bad bill of goods, but also they've ruined my morning coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 10:55 AM
 
3,313 posts, read 4,290,432 times
Reputation: 1835
You need to report it at your Publix or even do it online. It's not normal or OK. Sounds like they have issues with their fridge... maybe temperatures are not set up correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top