U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 05:46 PM

4,091 posts, read 4,671,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Carrollwood is in the northern part of Hillsborough and downtown is directly south of that.. with not much of anything in-between but lots of traffic on Dale Mabry or 275. If given the choice I would pick south tampa.
Seminole Heights, Ybor, West Tampa...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 06:08 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,732,770 times
Quote:
Let me give you a few roads in Brandon that do the same. Going north/south 301,Providence Rd, Gornto, Kings, Bryan and Parsons. East/West Hwy 60,lumsden, Bloomingdale. Plus most of these are more then two lanes! Now Riverview is another story.
Again, I am on the roads of Brandon/Riverview/Valrico and generally eastern Hillsborough County every day of the week for 5-6 hours per day. All of those roads get congested when the traffic gets moderately heavy. Hwy 60 is a nightmare, we all know that. Let's say you want to get to Apollo Beach from Valrico from 4-7pm on a Friday (or almost any day)...you can "shortcut" from 60 down Kings to Lumsden and Providence to Bloomindale over to 301...and every one of those roads is going to be slammed and filled with red lights along the way. Two lanes is almost irrelevant in that area.

To each their own, but I feel like I have plenty of personal experience driving in the Brandon/Riverview area versus South Tampa to say that I'd drive in the worst South Tampa traffic over moderate Brandon/Riverview traffic any day of the week. Those areas are just too crowded for the infrastructure and it's only getting worse and spreading south.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:12 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,732,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2pa View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. I have gotten an overall negative vibe from the Brandon area during our research so I don't think we will be looking at jobs or residence that far east. If my wife ended up in say Carrollwood and I was near downtown, is there a particular area to live that would serve those two the best?

I'm guessing like most cities, traveling away from downtown in the mornings and back toward in the evenings is the best case scenario?
South Tampa, Davis Islands, West Tampa, Seminole Heights, Tampa Heights would all be good choices for that setup. You would have a little traffic working in downtown (depending on the time you travel) and your wife would catch a break heading up to Carrollwood by traveling against all of the suburbanites heading into the city. Plus she could use some smaller roads to navigate from my suggested areas until she gets closer to Dale Mabry to join the mess that could be any given morning.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:00 AM

2,261 posts, read 1,555,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Again, I am on the roads of Brandon/Riverview/Valrico and generally eastern Hillsborough County every day of the week for 5-6 hours per day. All of those roads get congested when the traffic gets moderately heavy. Hwy 60 is a nightmare, we all know that. Let's say you want to get to Apollo Beach from Valrico from 4-7pm on a Friday (or almost any day)...you can "shortcut" from 60 down Kings to Lumsden and Providence to Bloomindale over to 301...and every one of those roads is going to be slammed and filled with red lights along the way. Two lanes is almost irrelevant in that area.

To each their own, but I feel like I have plenty of personal experience driving in the Brandon/Riverview area versus South Tampa to say that I'd drive in the worst South Tampa traffic over moderate Brandon/Riverview traffic any day of the week. Those areas are just too crowded for the infrastructure and it's only getting worse and spreading south.
Sea, I was only talking about Brandon. You were talking about south tampa. I just wanted to say that Brandon and only Brandon is set up with "Grid Streets" as well. I just find it funny that when people talk about Brandon they are really talking about Bloomingdale, Riverview, Valrico, Gibsonton, Mango, Seffner, Dover, Apollo Beach and Fish Hawk. Brandon is used as a cut through for the surrounding burbs. If I had to live in one of those surrounding Burbs and cut through Brandon everyday with everyone else It would not make me a happy camper. But that was their choice. I have friends in fishhawk that take bloomingdale everyday to tampa. That is not a fun drive. Me not so much just yesterday I drove to palm harbor from Brandon in less then an hour. My job is dependent on being anywhere in the four surrounding counties at anytime in less than an hour. Brandon is the only place that can be done!

Old 02-04-2015, 11:03 PM

4,091 posts, read 4,671,506 times
Quote:
Sea, I was only talking about Brandon. You were talking about south tampa. I just wanted to say that Brandon and only Brandon is set up with "Grid Streets" as well. I just find it funny that when people talk about Brandon they are really talking about Bloomingdale, Riverview, Valrico, Gibsonton, Mango, Seffner, Dover, Apollo Beach and Fish Hawk. Brandon is used as a cut through for the surrounding burbs. If I had to live in one of those surrounding Burbs and cut through Brandon everyday with everyone else It would not make me a happy camper. But that was their choice. I have friends in fishhawk that take bloomingdale everyday to tampa. That is not a fun drive. Me not so much just yesterday I drove to palm harbor from Brandon in less then an hour. My job is dependent on being anywhere in the four surrounding counties at anytime in less than an hour. Brandon is the only place that can be done!
Are you seriously saying that SR 60 has less traffic than Dale Mabry? I'm starting to wonder, given this comment and the last one about nothing being between Carrollwood and Downtown Tampa, if you're even familiar with this city.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:17 AM

2,261 posts, read 1,555,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Are you seriously saying that SR 60 has less traffic than Dale Mabry? I'm starting to wonder, given this comment and the last one about nothing being between Carrollwood and Downtown Tampa, if you're even familiar with this city.
Manic.. perhaps you can tell me where I said that about 60 anywhere in that post?.. IN other threads I have said most of SR60 congestion is over by the mall. I don't go on 60 everyday but when I do most of the congestion I find is over by the mall, yet even then I am backed up by only 1 light cycle. It would be no different then Dale Mabry. I remember back in the 90's hearing from a lot of homeowners in carrolwood, when I worked in there homes, about the traffic they had. Back then it was the long waits at waters and Dale Mabry. They would have to wait several light cycles before getting through. The congestion on Dale Mabry/275 is in a class all by its self. Also the evening rush traffic on Dale Mabry/Bearss is pure congestion. As far as the other post the OP was asking about a place to live. I said there was nothing I would recommend that was in-between Carrollwood and downtown. I still don't, but that is my opinion and everyone has theirs, No right or wrong.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:14 AM

4,812 posts, read 3,462,148 times
Quote:
Manic.. perhaps you can tell me where I said that about 60 anywhere in that post?.. IN other threads I have said most of SR60 congestion is over by the mall. I don't go on 60 everyday but when I do most of the congestion I find is over by the mall, yet even then I am backed up by only 1 light cycle. It would be no different then Dale Mabry. I remember back in the 90's hearing from a lot of homeowners in carrolwood, when I worked in there homes, about the traffic they had. Back then it was the long waits at waters and Dale Mabry. They would have to wait several light cycles before getting through. The congestion on Dale Mabry/275 is in a class all by its self. Also the evening rush traffic on Dale Mabry/Bearss is pure congestion. As far as the other post the OP was asking about a place to live. I said there was nothing I would recommend that was in-between Carrollwood and downtown. I still don't, but that is my opinion and everyone has theirs, No right or wrong.
I also think the Dale Mabry congestion north of Hillsborough through Carrolwood up to Northdale to be one of the worst in the area way worse than SR60. In SR60 after you get past the mall is pretty decent up to Kings?/Parsons where you lose a lane because is turn only after that is clear up to Valrico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or