U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:20 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,979,101 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how Tampa residents feel about the crime in the city? I looked it up on sperling's best places and it said Tampa scored 8 & 7 out of 10 in personal and property crime, 3 being the US average.
Is it really that bad or is crime mostly centralized in certain neighborhoods? We are strongly considering a South Tampa move, is that area patrolled and relatively safe?
I looked up our current area as well, and it was an 8 in both personal and property crime, which is even worse than Tampa! But then again, we live justg outside the city and there is little crime on our side of town, the crime is mostly in the lower socioeconomic neighborhoods and I don't ever feel unsafe anywhere here.
How accurate are the numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 AM

409 posts, read 1,366,627 times
Like any major metropolitan areas, crime is higher here. Tampa used to be a top 10 most dangerous city but it has fallen off that list and continues to fall. I now live in a suburb closer to work but I am in Tampa all the time and know Tampa like the back of my hand. I personally have never been victim to a crime in Tampa and I don't personally know anybody who has. I've only been involved in a couple road rage disputes. Crime does happen here, but no more here then the next city its size. Like anywhere else, there are certain neighborhoods that have higher crime. South Tampa is known to be a pretty safe area. I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,626,270 times
South Tampa is a relatively safe area. Ive been in Tampa 20 years and have never been a victim of, or know anyone personally who has been a victim, but it does happen, just watch the news, or read the papers.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:32 PM

83 posts, read 266,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Just wondering how Tampa residents feel about the crime in the city? I looked it up on sperling's best places and it said Tampa scored 8 & 7 out of 10 in personal and property crime, 3 being the US average.
Is it really that bad or is crime mostly centralized in certain neighborhoods? We are strongly considering a South Tampa move, is that area patrolled and relatively safe?
I looked up our current area as well, and it was an 8 in both personal and property crime, which is even worse than Tampa! But then again, we live justg outside the city and there is little crime on our side of town, the crime is mostly in the lower socioeconomic neighborhoods and I don't ever feel unsafe anywhere here.
How accurate are the numbers?
While I was living in Tampa, I was aware about the "outrageous & huge" levels of crime primarily on murder rates, near Downtown, just in the north part, crossing under the highway, you'll find how visibly dangerous is while you drive around, and there is a lot of prostitution in that streets, but this is just in the immediate north part of downtown, not everywhere. In other areas, they just sell sex in other creative ways, sex shops, strip bars and XXX video Rentals, Intimate Massages saloons, Hooters, etc.

but my own experience, in regards crime, I never saw anything abnormal in the Downtown area nor in the south part of Tampa. Me and some of my colleagues were running early in the morning, at 5am, still dark, around the downtown area and around the University of Tampa, near downtown, and never saw anything weir as well, this was for about 2 years, between 2004-06. Today I don't really know.

Never happened anything to anyone that I know as well, but if I were you, I would relocate to areas like New Tampa, Brandon or of course if you can, Sarasota, Naples or the East Coast of Florida...

Tampa is just not the place to have a walk around the city at nigh though, but the reason is not because the crime, is because there is not a city at all...

Last edited by William Hamilton; 01-09-2008 at 05:54 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 05:16 PM

192 posts, read 1,076,160 times
If you avoid the urban core and it's residents you can probably exist without the worry of crime affecting your life. And yes, South Tampa is indeed relatively safe.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:49 PM

409 posts, read 1,366,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hamilton View Post
While I was living in Tampa, I was aware about the "outrageous & huge" levels of crime primarily on murder rates, near Downtown, just in the north part, crossing under the highway, you'll find how visibly dangerous is while you drive around, and there is a lot of prostitution in that streets, but this is just in the immediate north part of downtown, not everywhere. In other areas, they just sell sex in other creative ways, sex shops, strip bars and XXX video Rentals, Intimate Massages saloons, Hooters, etc.

but my own experience, in regards crime, I never saw anything abnormal in the Downtown area nor in the south part of Tampa. Me and some of my colleagues were running early in the morning, at 5am, still dark, around the downtown area and around the University of Tampa, near downtown, and never saw anything weir as well, this was for about 2 years, between 2004-06. Today I don't really know.

Never happened anything to anyone that I know as well, but if I were you, I would relocate to areas like New Tampa, Brandon or of course if you can, Sarasota, Naples or the East Coast of Florida...

Tampa is just not the place to have a walk around the city at nigh though, but the reason is not because the crime, is because there is not a city at all...
Just keep in mind that this post is coming from a guy who bashes Tampa til he turns blue in the face. Remember this is ONE opinion, not the ONLY opinion. See the "Tampa is NOT a great city" post. If he hated it so much, I am not sure why he spends so much time in the Tampa forum.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:03 PM

83 posts, read 266,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
Just keep in mind that this post is coming from a guy who bashes Tampa til he turns blue in the face. Remember this is ONE opinion, not the ONLY opinion. See the "Tampa is NOT a great city" post. If he hated it so much, I am not sure why he spends so much time in the Tampa forum.
No one in this forum wants to bash Tampa as you mention, but telling the truth and self experience that apparently others are shamed or afraid to say. After my experience in such degrading place, i want to say clear and loud to all that read this forum that "Tampa is a swamp hole full of hicks, meth, pedophiles and sex-shops". Be ware of this place and don't commit to buy anything there until you see it personally and preferably live there for sometime before deciding. Of course you should apply this rule to any city or area that your are planning to move to.

I do highly recommend other areas in Florida like, West: Sarasota and Naples. East: West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Coral Gables, Miami downtown and immediate surroundings.

I spend some time in this forum to warn "innocent and unaware newcomers" from other states, blinded by the good weather and shiny beaches (not in Tampa though), the lightning capital of the world... to make them aware of the most disgusting place on planet earth!

does that answer your question?

Last edited by William Hamilton; 01-09-2008 at 07:48 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 07:34 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,903,439 times
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong

Old 01-09-2008, 07:53 PM

91 posts, read 341,232 times
Back to the crime topic...

You hit the nail on the head when you said "the crime is mostly in the lower socioeconomic neighborhoods" and that you don't ever feel unsafe anywhere in your current location even though the crime stats were the same.

I am in the same boat. Where I am living now has a higher crime rating than I'd like to endure compared to where I grew up but it is just about all isolated to one part of town. I never have any problems in my hood, in fact it is very quiet. Socioeconomic status plays a huge part in criminal activity anywhere you go. It's just he way it is, stats don't lie.

Tampa has poorer areas and wealthier areas and the criminal activity in each area will occur accordingly. Of course I always believe there is some spillover into areas that surround "bad" areas but it all depends on police presence and the community pride in that area. I don't think you have anything to worry about in Tampa.

The only crimes I heard about directly from people I know are a shooting outside our office one day (which used to be in the worst part of Ybor city..totally industrial) and it was over an ex girlfriend, one shot and it was over...between two enemies. And some guy murdered his wife and shot himself last year in Wesley Chapel...clearly issues existed there. I am sure more goes on that I don't hear about but everytime I was in downtown Tampa, I saw no need for alarm.

It's like anywhere (and I think you live in an urban environment now it seems) just be aware of surroundings and you can avoid 99% of the trouble out there. Street smarts go a long way.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:18 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,903,439 times
I lived in Tampa 30 years and I never knew anyone who was a victim of crime and I lived and worked in various parts of Tampa. I worked downtown and never had any problems there either.
I lived near Ybor city at one time and never had any problems.

As with any large city, you should take precautions and be aware of your surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay