Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 09:49 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,522,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting_there View Post
This is excellent, excellent information. I know that he has always wanted to own his own business and does handyman/renovation jobs on the side himself, but since I have always had to work for "The Man," I do not know a thing about setting up a business or where to go for things like that. For me, all I know is how to work for a company. I can start to google. Please let me know what is the name of the office in Florida (Tampa) that I should have him start looking at to get the info.
I sent you a PM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 09:53 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What Are the Penalties For Hiring An Illegal Immigrant?

For first offenders, there is a $250-$2,000 fine per illegal employee.

For a second offense, the fine is $2,000-$5,000 per illegal employee.

For employers who have been convicted of hiring illegal immigrants more than twice, the fine can range from $3000-$10,000 per employee. If the employer demonstrates a pervasive pattern of knowingly employing illegal immigrants, he or she could face additional fines, and up to six months in jail.

This does not include “harboring” illegal immigrants, or knowingly employing ten or more illegal immigrants in one year. Harboring an illegal immigrant can lead to ten years of prison time.

Additionally, under the Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organizations (RICO) act, employers hiring illegal immigrants have been sued, resulting in large settlements. The lawfully documented workers of the Zirkle Fruit Company recently settled a class action lawsuit brought under RICO. The suit alleged that their employer knowingly hired undocumented workers, driving down their wages.
What If the Illegal Immigrant Is Using a False or Stolen Identity?

Illegal immigrants who seek employment often engage in identity theft in order to work in the United States. Employers are required to make a good faith effort to make sure that their employees are legally permitted to work in the country. This good faith effort includes using the Social Security Administration’s website to check if a social security number matches the employee who gave the number.

Penalties for Employers Hiring Illegal Immigrants | LegalMatch Law Library
What gets me is those showes on tv about flipping houses. The show flipping vegas mostly the guy uses nothing but spanish speaking guys. Do you think they are all legal?

Old 02-07-2015, 09:55 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,522,572 times
As far as the poor quality of work IMO the builders are only half to blame. Other half go's on the County and it's building inspectors that signed off on that work.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:06 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,582,697 times
Quote:
What Are the Penalties For Hiring An Illegal Immigrant?

For first offenders, there is a $250-$2,000 fine per illegal employee.

For a second offense, the fine is $2,000-$5,000 per illegal employee.

For employers who have been convicted of hiring illegal immigrants more than twice, the fine can range from $3000-$10,000 per employee. If the employer demonstrates a pervasive pattern of knowingly employing illegal immigrants, he or she could face additional fines, and up to six months in jail.

This does not include “harboring” illegal immigrants, or knowingly employing ten or more illegal immigrants in one year. Harboring an illegal immigrant can lead to ten years of prison time.

Additionally, under the Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organizations (RICO) act, employers hiring illegal immigrants have been sued, resulting in large settlements. The lawfully documented workers of the Zirkle Fruit Company recently settled a class action lawsuit brought under RICO. The suit alleged that their employer knowingly hired undocumented workers, driving down their wages.
What If the Illegal Immigrant Is Using a False or Stolen Identity?

Illegal immigrants who seek employment often engage in identity theft in order to work in the United States. Employers are required to make a good faith effort to make sure that their employees are legally permitted to work in the country. This good faith effort includes using the Social Security Administration’s website to check if a social security number matches the employee who gave the number.

Penalties for Employers Hiring Illegal Immigrants | LegalMatch Law Library
Only thing that happens is the owner gets a letter from the IRS saying the SSN that was submitted does not match. Talk to anyone ICE does not care and the locals have no power. Unless the current administration makes it a priority nothing happens.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
As far as the poor quality of work IMO the builders are only half to blame. Other half go's on the County and it's building inspectors that signed off on that work.
Correct I think there was some big time money exchanging hands between the builder and the inspectors Just saying . How could the inspectors sign off on insulation installed backwards I know when coverd by drywall who will ever know right?

Old 02-07-2015, 10:28 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
What gets me is those showes on tv about flipping houses. The show flipping vegas mostly the guy uses nothing but spanish speaking guys. Do you think they are all legal?
Just because someone speaks Spanish does not mean they are illegals.

If I had a biz I wouldnt risk thousands of dollars to save a few bucks on salary.

If I had a biz I wouldnt use incompetent workers. Why would I ruin my business?

Old 02-07-2015, 10:30 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Only thing that happens is the owner gets a letter from the IRS saying the SSN that was submitted does not match. Talk to anyone ICE does not care and the locals have no power. Unless the current administration makes it a priority nothing happens.
And ICE exists because........... ?

Old 02-07-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
And ICE exists because........... ?
to keep my adult beverage cold?

Last edited by mrviking; 02-07-2015 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: add text

Old 02-07-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
When I was on the job sites I used to watch inspectors drive up to the houses in the summer. They would stay in their air condition cars and fill out some paperwork. Then step out of the car and go over to the inspection boards next to the drive ways and Initial their respective inspections. Never once walk inside the house. When we bought our house a year later we found a back portion of the attic never received insulation over a bedroom. I found an crew of insulators in a nearby subdivision. For an easy $100 they came to my house and filled that part of the attic deep with insulation. Quite sure somebody that day was shorted insulation in their new home.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Just because someone speaks Spanish does not mean they are illegals.

If I had a biz I wouldnt risk thousands of dollars to save a few bucks on salary.

If I had a biz I wouldnt use incompetent workers. Why would I ruin my business?
I'm sure that if The INS pulled up to a job site were Spanish speaking people were working that most would led away in handcuffs. It's nice to think that all are legal green card holders but most are not. Thy are flooding our country. We're I lived in Chicago area they were deporting a plane load every week. But some returned and got deported again. And some business owners are playing the odds. They know that the problem is so huge and that their chances of getting caught are verry low. So they hire them for low pay so he can make larger profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: