U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:00 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,868,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
Here is what people in vegas forum are saying

So interesting that more posters in Vegas forum are telling him to go to Tampa and here more posters are telling him to go to Vegas....Can you find something in between? Lol

It is going to be very difficult to make a choice without you seeing both.

Good luck!
I'm starting to think that people in Vegas and FL just don't want to see yet another person from NY moving to their city!

As for something in between, my brother does live in the Denver area, but there's all that snow there...

Anybody have any comments about the car insurance rates I mentioned above? Do they seem accurate for your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 09:15 AM

2,719 posts, read 4,403,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I'm starting to think that people in Vegas and FL just don't want to see yet another person from NY moving to their city!

As for something in between, my brother does live in the Denver area, but there's all that snow there...

Anybody have any comments about the car insurance rates I mentioned above? Do they seem accurate for your area?
Car insurance has lots of parameter (type and age of car, diver history, coverage level, your zip code, you estimated commute, your credit score, whether you pay in full the premium or not, etc.) it will make it virtually useless to compare based on what others are paying. But if it helps you, we pay around $700/six month for "full coverage" on two cars, one a sport car, including a rental insurance, paid in full. I thought this is a great deal. No complaint on Florida insurance from me.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:12 AM

325 posts, read 201,518 times
manyroads this might help

The Official Vegas car sales thread

and this
Official Las Vegas Taxi Thread...

It might help with a backup plan for work in Vegas.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:12 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,868,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleman View Post
manyroads this might help

The Official Vegas car sales thread

and this
Official Las Vegas Taxi Thread...

It might help with a backup plan for work in Vegas.
Thanks, I will check those out. But why did you post this in the Tampa Bay forum instead of the Las Vegas board where you have replied previously?

Old 02-22-2015, 11:01 AM

325 posts, read 201,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Thanks, I will check those out. But why did you post this in the Tampa Bay forum instead of the Las Vegas board where you have replied previously?
I live in Pinellas now, but used to live in Vegas. I like to stay in touch with happenings there. I look in on both forums quite frequently.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:04 PM

239 posts, read 242,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I have been to Vegas a number of times and never considered it as a place to live. Flagstaff at 7,000' elevation gets a serious winter. We lived in the Phoenix area for some years. It gets very hot and is very dusty because it is desert. We just returned to Florida and plan to stay permanently. We left the NY area in 1972, have been back for only a few visits.
Dude my mom and stepdad I thought were going to move to Flagstaff. Its a lousy place from everything I researched. I am not a "western" type as it is but it just seemed really horrible out there. Its not only high up ,the winters are awful, no jobs, expensive, college kids and retired folks. The west has their share of retirees also and retirement natured towns and cities (Portland, where young people go to retire maybe??) , its not just FL. I also wouldn't like Phoenix but ya Flagstaff would be bad for sure.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:10 PM

239 posts, read 242,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
You should move here just to anger the locals who dislike New Yorkers.
Locals arent as friendly as transplants are they? Maybe some here and there but I've gotten the cold shoulder at times mostly by some of the long timers around here. Then again I moved to a more established area north of downtown St Pete.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:51 AM

3,784 posts, read 3,006,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
as I posted earlier, if things don't work out in Tampa, you can move to nearby cities more easily than if things fail in Vegas, you're pretty much isolated there - you have a better chance at success in FLA imo because there's always Sarasota, St Pete, Jax, Miami, Orlando, and other smaller towns to head toward to find work......what's around LV? Henderson?

as for humidity - I've become acclimated to it -exercising in the morning on a regular basis improve your ability to adapt to it - I find the folks that are held hostage to their ice cold AC unit are most miserable when they hit the outdoors throughout the entire year.....
That's interesting you say that, because honestly I find that the fact that I work out outdoors is the biggest thing that has turned me off to Florida. There are definitely several positives/ things to do/good people to be sure , and this is where family is so it's likely where I'll be at least for a while, but I also can't say I haven't thought strongly about moving back north or to Asheville (convincing the s/o)

Between Tampa and Vegas though, I think the only plus Vegas has is somewhat more terrain filled itself (Red Rocks/ Lake Mead), and closeness to spots like Grand Canyon and Yosemite and LA. I'd say Tampa wins easily though.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:54 AM

1,798 posts, read 2,300,779 times
Well there's always that metro of 12 million people called greater Los Angeles. It's only 276 miles to downtown LA, that's just a little day drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
as I posted earlier, if things don't work out in Tampa, you can move to nearby cities more easily than if things fail in Vegas, you're pretty much isolated there - you have a better chance at success in FLA imo because there's always Sarasota, St Pete, Jax, Miami, Orlando, and other smaller towns to head toward to find work......what's around LV? Henderson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or