U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:39 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,486,443 times

Advertisements

It has to be a one BR and not a two BR. Two bedrooms in the DTSP area are around 1300 and up I'm pretty sure. GL and feel free to PM me. I"m in that area quite a bit / back and forth up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 10:53 PM

239 posts, read 241,558 times
I hear how some people from TX are coming here now because of the Californian influx around Austin and places like that. I met a bartender last week who told me he was from Texas. He just started new at this place downtown.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:35 AM

50 posts, read 62,733 times
It's definately noticeable in the central TX, Austin area. In fact a lot of people are moving here, last I heard it was about 125 people a day. Not sure how many are leaving but it is defibately growing at a fast rate. With that, cost of living is starting to climb at very quick rates so city living is becoming impossible for most. This "small town" has grown too fast for itself and now most people are forced to live in the outskirt towns if they want to ever own a decent home. My rent has gone up $225/month in the last 2 years alone, and that's for an apartment still in the city limits but on the edges.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:49 PM

Seperate area but same questions, how is the Clearwater area in reference to the criteria mentioned in the first couple posts?
How much is the commute from Clearwater to downtown St. Petersburg?
How is the restaurant scene in Clearwater?
I've found a couple nice places there that we are considering so any other info would be great in reference to the two areas, Clearwater to St. Petersburg.
Thanks everyone, you've been helpful!

Old 02-27-2015, 04:13 PM

239 posts, read 241,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W&AE View Post
It's definately noticeable in the central TX, Austin area. In fact a lot of people are moving here, last I heard it was about 125 people a day. Not sure how many are leaving but it is defibately growing at a fast rate. With that, cost of living is starting to climb at very quick rates so city living is becoming impossible for most. This "small town" has grown too fast for itself and now most people are forced to live in the outskirt towns if they want to ever own a decent home. My rent has gone up $225/month in the last 2 years alone, and that's for an apartment still in the city limits but on the edges.
Yea this is where living in Gateway comes in handy I think. I moved far enough out and not on the edges of downtown but am still close to stuff too. If I relocate it would probably be Gulfport or something but no, I wouldn't live in downtown.

So have the people from TX priced the place up? Perhaps from their real estate going up maybe and then they buy cheaper here or get something downtown perhaps?

Old 02-27-2015, 04:43 PM

Priced the place up? Not sure what you mean but in my circumstance the price is rising due to the "market value". It changes daily. A lot of places around the country do that but in the last few years here it has been dramatic increases all due to the "californication" of Austin I suppose. Supply and demand plus new shopping centers going up everywhere just about everyday.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:19 PM

Does anyone know how the pay works for employees in a restaurant in the Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg area
Here where I work in Texas all credit card tips go onto a paycheck, you still get to leave with your cash money but everything else is on a check so it is all taxed. Also on those lines anybody know what the hourly rate of pay is for servers and bartenders in restaurants? Here it is mostly $2.13+tips for servers and it fluctuates for bartending.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:30 AM

74 posts, read 75,216 times
I've read a few articles that say that Austin, TX is one of the best places in the U.S. to buy a home right now..just saying.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,332 times
We moved to FL 5 years ago and live in South St. Pete. My advice to anyone moving to FL is Buyer Beware. I totally understand why anyone moving from northern/midwestern states is done with winter and the idea of never seeing another snow shovel is tempting, so here is my two cents worth. There are very few full time jobs here. Do your research carefully and don't move until you actually find a job. Most of the jobs are part time with few, if any, benefits. This is a right to work state and employees have very few rights. Employers know that and take advantage of that. Salaries in FL are about 40% less than what we made in the DC area. FL is no longer a cheap place to live. Insurance is twice what the rest of the country pays. Our utilities are provided by a crooked company that has made it all but impossible to use solar. I still find it amazing that we live in what is called The Sunshine State and we have virtually no solar. The City of St. Pete is run like a banana republic. The city's code enforcement is very unevenly applied and their environmental policies are atrocious. Just because there are bike lanes does not mean that the city is concerned with the environment. People doing the right thing for the environment are targeted by the City for violations, even if one lives in a non-deed restricted neighborhood with no HOA. I wish you all the best, but please do thorough research before moving here.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:52 PM

Mangoqueen, thanks for the heads up. For now I will most likely be in the service industry, as will my wife so I imagine full time employment will not be an issue. I hope?
We plan on renting for 3 years before we buy anyway so we will have time to take care of all the other details as well. Besides St. Pete we are looking in the Brandon and Riverview area for now as well, so hopefully we sonething that will fit our needs for rent for now.

Subshine809, for each article that's positive, there is a negative one as well, as with all things in life. I'm not bashing you at all please don't be offended. Austin has some good areas that are definitely good to buy in now, but when we are ready in about 3 years, it's doubtful there will be much left that is affordable and in a good area of Austin( not including the outer cities like Round Rock, Pflugerville, Hutto, Leander, Cedar Park, etc). Even those cities are growing so quickly that housing is creeping up in price at a steady steep incline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or