U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 04:25 AM

5 posts, read 15,197 times

Advertisements

Planning on relocating Tampa or Clearwater need information on complexs in good safe areas within 20 to 30 mins of the VA Medical Center.
Iam 39yrs old and single would like to be near malls and upscale nightlife also near public busline just in case needed. Can pay700-850 for rent if that is possible for a 2br in nice neigborhood.
Diversity is important.

Last edited by Miss Kansas city Mo.; 01-10-2008 at 04:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 07:05 AM

367 posts, read 1,535,229 times
Not sure what you mean by upscale nightlife? Almost anywhere in Pinellas county is within 30 mins of VA, except maybe north of Clearwater.
Loads of malls, lots of places to go at night. Safe areas all over, I have friends, much older, who live in a nice apt complex - close to beaches, but I'd say 12-15 mins from VA - I know because I drive by their place on the way to my daughter's school every day and this passes VA, early a.m. you can do it in 10 I'd say. There is a large mall just five mins from VA at Tyrone. There are buses passing apts and lots of bus services all over the area, you would have to check times and routes though. Not sure of the price of these condos, they are called Costa Del Sol. I think they were considering selling off to individuals before the property slump, so lots of upgrading was done, as they were older, but now that seems to have stalled, as do many projects like that. I think you may be around the price range for a rental there, but you would need to talk to the manager on site there. If this is not for you, there are really lots of good apartment complexes all around and within easy drive of the VA. (I am assuming you mean the one at Bay Pines by the way). Pinellas and Hillsborough have very diverse communities.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:42 AM

849 posts, read 3,200,530 times
Default Tyrone mall

has been rated the most dangerous in the Tampa Bay area. However it is the mall itself not the area as a whole. Most of it is car break ins, thefts and occasional muggings to get the car. Costa del Sol is in the city of Seminole not at all diverse and very limited (any?) bus service. Older pop. The apts. are older and 2 br were going for I think 900 in August. We are in Nautica in St. Pete where there is better bus service. They are older but very well laid out and maintained. they used to be Fifth Ave. Apts. My husband and I have a large 1 br and it's great! We pay 750 + 25 for water. basic cable is incl. I call it my mini-loft because the lr/dr is huge and I arranged it into 3 distinct areas incl an office but it's all open. teh kitchen is a good size and totally separate. Br. is big enough for a queen bed and full br set. One large clothes closet, utility closet inside and a storage closet outside. What's nice about the entrances in this building is that you come into what amounts to an extra "outside" room. Except for being open to the parking lot, It is totally walled and really a room of about 80'sq. Lots of us have furniture out there and use it as such. The two of us don't feel squooshed at all and we're older than you. Not a lot of 2br and they will be more than 750-800 as will any decent place that is safe and on pub trans. They are also one of the few in Tampa Bay that want a whole month's sec. deposit. However, you can park the car and take the bus to VA if you work days. With gas running up to 3.15/gal you'll save the difference in rent. Monthly bus tickets are still pretty reasonable. EVERYTHING is close and getting to I-275 is easy. You can get to the upscale malls in Tampa in 25 min. they're just off the interstate across the bridge.
Malls are spread out so I don't know what you mean by "lots of malls." St. Pete has some decent night life downtown but if you're looking for something other than clubs, I don't know if you'll find it any where in the area. It's not NY or Chi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainbrit View Post
Not sure what you mean by upscale nightlife? Almost anywhere in Pinellas county is within 30 mins of VA, except maybe north of Clearwater.
Loads of malls, lots of places to go at night. Safe areas all over, I have friends, much older, who live in a nice apt complex - close to beaches, but I'd say 12-15 mins from VA - I know because I drive by their place on the way to my daughter's school every day and this passes VA, early a.m. you can do it in 10 I'd say. There is a large mall just five mins from VA at Tyrone. There are buses passing apts and lots of bus services all over the area, you would have to check times and routes though. Not sure of the price of these condos, they are called Costa Del Sol. I think they were considering selling off to individuals before the property slump, so lots of upgrading was done, as they were older, but now that seems to have stalled, as do many projects like that. I think you may be around the price range for a rental there, but you would need to talk to the manager on site there. If this is not for you, there are really lots of good apartment complexes all around and within easy drive of the VA. (I am assuming you mean the one at Bay Pines by the way). Pinellas and Hillsborough have very diverse communities.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:50 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,136,459 times
I say Brandon. We are about 20 mins. or so from the VA. I am not sure about the $700-850 price range on a 2 br., but you might be able to get in on a special (I work as an assistant manager at an apartment community here in Brandon). Brandon is a nice area and we have a mall here with stores that are needed-Super Target, Target, Super Walmart, Publix, and other grocery stores. The buses run here and most apartment comm. have a bus stop out in the front. We are about 15 or less (depending on traffic) to Ybor and Channelside which are the two main places in Tampa to party.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:58 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,616,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Kansas city Mo. View Post
Planning on relocating Tampa or Clearwater need information on complexs in good safe areas within 20 to 30 mins of the VA Medical Center.
Iam 39yrs old and single would like to be near malls and upscale nightlife also near public busline just in case needed. Can pay700-850 for rent if that is possible for a 2br in nice neigborhood.
Diversity is important.
You need to clarify VA in Tampa(North Tampa area near USF), or VA in Pinellas County. I see a mixed bag of replies here.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:46 PM

367 posts, read 1,535,229 times
There are two psta buses that pass Costa del sol, check psta website and map, one crosses over with another bus that drops directly into va hospital, not sure on the number. The population of that community is not all old folks. I have friends who live in there who are old, but also a single mom with daughter (african american) and there are several other families living in there with children, not least my older friends upstairs neighbours who are (may have moved now) from India. It is a very safe environment to live at, and right by the park which has many public and free events year round.
"The number one mall with the most crime is Tyrone Square Mall in St. Petersburg. F[SIZE=2]rom January 2006 through August of 2007, 131 cars were stolen, 63 were broken into and there were ten calls for robberies" this was however over a 19/20 month period . There are often car sales held there and I would not be surprised if the stolen cars were from that large lot from time to time. I am not dismissing crime, but I have never experienced any crime personally, and am a very frequent visitor to the mall. However, I am not expounding the virtues of any location and have no gain to make, just telling you what I know. I think St Pete is lovely, agree totally about its benefits, but I'd rather walk alone and catch a bus in the seminole area at night than St Pete. Just my opinion as a woman.[/SIZE]

Old 01-10-2008, 03:18 PM

Question Which VA is the question

if she means St. Pete Brandon is NOT it. and if you have something to sell, please be honest. Even if she's going to the VA near USF it is not 20 min. from Brandon on I-75 in traffic. Fletcher Ave. alone from the exit will take her 10 min. The bus in Brandon runs to USF? News to me. how long is THAT trip? I'm sure it doesn't run after 9 PM into Tampa if that.
would you want your sister on a bus from Ybor later than that? In the same vein, where's she going to meet other singles in Brandon? Maybe she wants someone other than who you meet in a bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
I say Brandon. We are about 20 mins. or so from the VA. I am not sure about the $700-850 price range on a 2 br., but you might be able to get in on a special (I work as an assistant manager at an apartment community here in Brandon). Brandon is a nice area and we have a mall here with stores that are needed-Super Target, Target, Super Walmart, Publix, and other grocery stores. The buses run here and most apartment comm. have a bus stop out in the front. We are about 15 or less (depending on traffic) to Ybor and Channelside which are the two main places in Tampa to party.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:28 PM

Default horray for you

I'd never experienced a hurricane until I was in Katrina. One can't live in fear but using personal experience, luck ,blessing is not sound advice to someone who expressly is discussing her safety.
Yes there is a bus or two at Costa del Sol but for someone who makes pub. trans a priority, 2 buses aren't necessarily adequate. That bus to the VA stops I think at 9PM if not earlier. I didn't mean that CdS isn't diverse but Seminole is not particularly. My husband was mistaken for a terrorist apparently when a manager at another complex threatened him with the Patriot Act. He's got a full beard and is of the Semitic persuasion shall we say. The whole issue was that we were turned down for being $10 under the 3x income:rent ratio. When we asked if they couldn't accept us anyway because what's $10 nowadays? one movie ticket? They told us that "it's based on credit and if we wanted to live here we had to learn to do things the American way." Duh! We were born and raised here. That's Seminole.
As a woman, any of my sisters who think they can walk alone at night anywhere are living in a dream world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainbrit View Post
There are two psta buses that pass Costa del sol, check psta website and map, one crosses over with another bus that drops directly into va hospital, not sure on the number. The population of that community is not all old folks. I have friends who live in there who are old, but also a single mom with daughter (african american) and there are several other families living in there with children, not least my older friends upstairs neighbours who are (may have moved now) from India. It is a very safe environment to live at, and right by the park which has many public and free events year round.
"The number one mall with the most crime is Tyrone Square Mall in St. Petersburg. F[SIZE=2]rom January 2006 through August of 2007, 131 cars were stolen, 63 were broken into and there were ten calls for robberies" this was however over a 19/20 month period . There are often car sales held there and I would not be surprised if the stolen cars were from that large lot from time to time. I am not dismissing crime, but I have never experienced any crime personally, and am a very frequent visitor to the mall. However, I am not expounding the virtues of any location and have no gain to make, just telling you what I know. I think St Pete is lovely, agree totally about its benefits, but I'd rather walk alone and catch a bus in the seminole area at night than St Pete. Just my opinion as a woman.[/SIZE]

Old 01-11-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
You need to clarify VA in Tampa(North Tampa area near USF), or VA in Pinellas County. I see a mixed bag of replies here.

Iam referring to the VA medical center located on Bruce Downs Blvd.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:46 AM

Default Sorry for the confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
if she means St. Pete Brandon is NOT it. and if you have something to sell, please be honest. Even if she's going to the VA near USF it is not 20 min. from Brandon on I-75 in traffic. Fletcher Ave. alone from the exit will take her 10 min. The bus in Brandon runs to USF? News to me. how long is THAT trip? I'm sure it doesn't run after 9 PM into Tampa if that.
would you want your sister on a bus from Ybor later than that? In the same vein, where's she going to meet other singles in Brandon? Maybe she wants someone other than who you meet in a bar.
Location would be the VA Medical center on Bruce Downs Blvd. And you are right I would whreather meet someone other than in bars .Good looking out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or