Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 07:19 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I've been watching and supporting the Lightning. I won't abandon teams I've supported for nearly 40 years, but I'll definitely support the local teams.

The obvious conflict will be when they play each other, of course.
I agree, no real fan is going to abandon the team they grew up with, but you should support local teams and definitely not root against them because they are part of the community that you now belong to. If for whatever reason you really hate a local team then you should follow the "if you dont have nothing to nice to say then dont say anything at all" saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 07:25 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I agree, no real fan is going to abandon the team they grew up with, but you should support local teams and definitely not root against them because they are part of the community that you now belong to. If for whatever reason you really hate a local team then you should follow the "if you dont have nothing to nice to say then dont say anything at all" saying.
this is the best advice for transplants - I did the same when living in Atlanta and went to Falcon-Bucs games......no sense getting nasty in the stands.

and not supporting the local franchises (baseball team for instance) by not attending games could mean the loss of the team, loss of jobs, loss of the privilege that few cities have to own a sports franchise......if you're a true fan of sports, you'll attend games even if your team isn't involved.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:36 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNomad143 View Post
I so look forward to the day that all the northerners that move to Florida (by choice) embrace Florida teams as though they are your first choice. Florida needs people with state pride and proud to be from Florida, supporting hometown teams.

Not judging all, but we all know that many from the northern states come down and still love their northern team.

You moved to Florida for a reason, embrace it and love the hometown teams!
Patriots still #1 to me. Bucs will be #2 if they get their act together.

I love lightning, so the bolts are #1 in my hockey book. Then again, I don't like hockey. However, I am more than happy to jump on the wagon with instruments playing.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:46 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
This is easy to say when a Tampa Bay team is fighting for the Cup. Try convincing transplants to support the Bucs after a 2-14 season......or the Rays who spend the least on salaries in MLB and usually have a bunch of no-namers on their squad.
Correct. I am a happy go lucky band wagon hopper. If the Tampa Bay teams do well, I am on board. If not, then I just change the channel. When we lived in MA, I was a fan of both the Sox and the Yankees.

I don't see how what team you like has anything to do with respecting where you live. I love it here regardless of who wins the cup or the Superbowl. As someone said, it's just a game. I don't get a bonus if the bolts or bucs win.

I write this as I wear the Patriots Superbowl shirt.....LOL

Old 06-09-2015, 08:11 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
OP must be new to sports. If OP is that upset about it, I'm sure a local high school team would love to have them as a fan...

Just don't tell him where most of the US National team soccer players are from. He may faint.
LOL

Old 06-09-2015, 08:12 AM

440 posts, read 595,286 times
It's funny because i've NEVER been a hockey fan at all, nor do i still claim to be, however watching the Lightning play the way they have and make it this far is pretty exciting to watch and be a part of in my new city and they have my full support. In fact if they do win it all i think i just might have to go to the parade just to witness what that experience is like since i've never seen a championship parade in Cleveland Hopefully the Cavs can change that this year though!

Old 06-09-2015, 08:16 AM

440 posts, read 595,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
What professional sports team has any local (as in within 50 miles of the franchise) on it? I'd guess few if any. You support the team because the team is local, if that's your thing. If you want to support actual local residents, then you're going to have to work down to high school sports in most cases, except 5A sports-focused high schools where even those students are imported.
Cleveland Cavs have LeBron James who was born just 40 miles away in Akron, but i still agree with you

Old 06-09-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
It isn't a sport many kids play in our country and in terms of popularity it falls behind many- we do well in the Olympics at the sport. We don't borrow/steal players- they dream at the opportunity to play in the best hockey league in the world and are paid nicely for it.
Really? Last time I checked US representatives were contacting international players in their home countries and were offering contracts. The way you wrote it its like international players are applying to play for US The matter of fact I personally know two professional hockey players who got contract offers from US based on their good performances in their home countries. They are/were not playing for Tampa Bay Lighting though, but I cannot imagine it's really differs from state to state
Olympics however is a different story with different rules.

What amazes me is that people expect locals be on the hockey team and play professionally... with like 3 ice rings within 100 miles radius in sunny Florida If we are not talking about Lighting now, check out any other team, all have international players

Old 06-09-2015, 08:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Rooting for any given sports team comes from an emotional level, you cant force yourself to love any particular team,if you love the Bolts fine,if you dont theres nothing you can do about it,you just prefer to put your emotion with other teams.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:21 AM

I seriously thought I am gonna have heart attack while watching last night game. Go Bolts!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay