U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:29 AM

37 posts, read 222,449 times

Advertisements

Hi, we were looking to relocating to Tampa .We really want a affordable ,safe city and coming from NY i liked what i saw in Tampa.
Well,now, i hear that Tampa is the second lightning capital of the world.
Is It true and if so how does it affect your lives?I have a 2 year old and am a little scared.Should i be worried?Does anyone regret moving there?THANKS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 12:40 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,338,432 times
Well we are the lightening capital of the world because we are such a flat state. They say if you hear thunder, lightening can strike within 3 miles of it. I don't live my days wondering if i'm going to get struck today or not. Just use common sense and if you hear thunder, go indoors. You'll be fine. Don't worry about it.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:41 PM

849 posts, read 3,201,718 times
Default you need to be cautious

It is true. I mean a little common sense. Don't be outside in a storm, If you go out to a store or someplace and a storm comes up stay in, they usually pass quickly. If you buy a house make sure it's got lightening arrestors and don't walk around with an umbrella. I don't regret moving to Tampa for the lightening but you have to use some wisdom. You can't let something liek that overtake your life or you won't have one. In other words don't change your plans because a storm is forecast but watch the bulletins. If it's a "watch" you can probably be ok as long as you're near cover. If a "warning" take cover. The only things I would avoid doing are totally outdoor activities. like the beach. No pavillions to shelter in ala Jones beach. Storms are usually in the late afternoon hours so you should be able to get beach time most days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae12 View Post
Hi, we were looking to relocating to Tampa .We really want a affordable ,safe city and coming from NY i liked what i saw in Tampa.
Is It true and if so how does it affect your lives?I have a 2 year old and am a little scared.Should i be worried?Does anyone regret moving there?THANKS.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:49 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,619,512 times
Just like NY gets thunderstorms(im from NY) with lightning...so does Florida...but on a MUCH MUCH bigger scale...so heed the warnings, and dont be outside during a thunderstorm(just like in NY)

Old 01-10-2008, 01:05 PM

192 posts, read 1,075,285 times
For sure we get more than a lion's share of lightning here in the Bay Area. Most of the thunderstorms we get are not the kind that develop along a front; rather, they are air-mass storms that are generated from the strong thermals we have in summer months. Since our prevailing steering currents here on the west coast of the state are easternly, the storms usually arrive between 4 and 6 pm (depending on where in the state the seabreeze fronts collide) and continue westernly in to the Gulf, leaving us with clearing skies afterward.

So the July/August/September afternoon rush hour is typically a challenging one, with heavy downpours and some flooded streets (like Dale Mabry at Neptune in south Tampa!!) but the mornings and evenings are mostly rain free and tolerable.

If your small child reacts to noise anything like my dog does, you'll have to get used to him/her hiding under the bed when the "boomers" start!

Old 01-10-2008, 03:34 PM

37 posts, read 222,449 times
Thank you so much! I din't know the storms are mostly in the summer.thanks.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM

979 posts, read 3,541,639 times
The lightning and thunder storms are the most beautiful storms I ever see! Gorgeous! Absolutely breath-taking.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:16 PM

326 posts, read 1,219,613 times
The lightning and thunderstorms I could handle. My dogs flatulence during these storms I could not!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:30 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,340,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mae12 View Post

I wouldn`t worry about it just stay indoors during a storm.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:31 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,855,055 times
The storms never bothered my kids but I wasn't afraid of them either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or