U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:08 AM

7,091 posts, read 3,438,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird45 View Post
I realize that having a pool makes the house easier to sell but if it costs $40K and you only get $15K back, is it worth it just to be easier to sell? Why not just reduce the price $1oK and be done with it?
I don't agree that a pool makes a home 'easier to sell.' There are many people who simply don't want a pool. I think in FL, the easiest house to sell is the one with an ad that reads, "room for a pool."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 10:53 AM

2,710 posts, read 4,390,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I don't agree that a pool makes a home 'easier to sell.' There are many people who simply don't want a pool. I think in FL, the easiest house to sell is the one with an ad that reads, "room for a pool."
In my zip code, 90% of the homes have swimming pool. So, it reasons to assume that the overwhelming majority of buyers are looking for swimming pool or they put one after they bought it. It also means that if you want to sell and you don't have a pool, you will be looking at the 10% of people who don't want one. That's what easier to sell comment I believe came--by definition your pool of buyers are large in the neighborhood where swimming pool is prevalent. Given the very low return on investment for putting swimming pool, people are smart on looking to buy a house that already have one than putting by themselves.I know that's what we did. Again, easy to sell when you want to.

Now, I will bet there will be a zip code somewhere in Tampa Bay that has only 10% of the homes with swimming pool. There you may have a disadvantage as the rest of the neighborhood doesn't have it in general. So, like the cliche, it's all local.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:25 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,867,736 times
I am not looking at a pool as return on investment, I am going into this knowing that I am not going to get back what I paid to put one in. I am retired and am renting a home currently with a nice large heated pool. We really enjoy the pool and look at installing a pool as something other than an investment , this is probably the last house we will own so resale isn't our primary concern. I really am just looking pricing of what others have paid for an "average" in ground pool with a cage in the Citrus County area, also recommendations for a pool contractor would sure be appreciated.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:45 PM

212 posts, read 213,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I am not looking at a pool as return on investment, I am going into this knowing that I am not going to get back what I paid to put one in. I am retired and am renting a home currently with a nice large heated pool. We really enjoy the pool and look at installing a pool as something other than an investment , this is probably the last house we will own so resale isn't our primary concern. I really am just looking pricing of what others have paid for an "average" in ground pool with a cage in the Citrus County area, also recommendations for a pool contractor would sure be appreciated.
This is the right reason to build a pool, I hope you enjoy it

Old 03-03-2015, 04:18 PM

25,833 posts, read 39,048,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird45 View Post
I realize that having a pool makes the house easier to sell but if it costs $40K and you only get $15K back, is it worth it just to be easier to sell? Why not just reduce the price $1oK and be done with it?
Of course like others also mentioned you have to be sure you want a pool for other reasons than just resale since you have to maintain a pool to keep it in good shape.

That means either having to pay someone to take care of it or do it yourself or someone in your family who is willing to keep doing it.

Pool maintenance is work and cost money.

Like every item you add to a house it can come with issues and on the other hand, times you enjoy it.

You never know who will like your house when you start selling it and often we hear "pool is too small, too big, no Jacuzzi, don't like the color or they wanted a different shape or different pool deck".

Of course there are the pools that almost everyone will like since home owners spend so much money... what is not to like!

If you don't have a pool you may hear that a buyer want a pool and even though the yard may be big enough to build a pool some buyers want to move in and have it already done by someone else....

In the end you will not know unless you sell your home but meanwhile enjoy the decision you make.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:26 PM

3,022 posts, read 1,662,082 times
I don't want the pool or the headache that goes along with keeping up with it. I know on LI your taxes go up for having one. Is that true in Florida? Id rather use the community pool that HOA dues pay for.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:37 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,867,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I don't want the pool or the headache that goes along with keeping up with it. I know on LI your taxes go up for having one. Is that true in Florida? Id rather use the community pool that HOA dues pay for.
Our Realtor pays less than $90/mo. for a pool service to maintain pool including ALL chemicals. So hiring it done seems very reasonable to me considering the cost of just the chemicals.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:13 PM

2,710 posts, read 4,390,196 times
Quote:
Our Realtor pays less than $90/mo. for a pool service to maintain pool including ALL chemicals. So hiring it done seems very reasonable to me considering the cost of just the chemicals.
I do maintain my pool myself and the easiest job in the world . Even my 4th grader knows how to check all the chemical levels. Once I showed him, it is a blast for him. Once you start to do it, it will take about 5 minutes to check all the necessary indicators. Based on the test, you do what is needed. I buy chemicals in bulk from Amazon, and it is a piece of cake. Will last about six months. I know of no other job that is easier than maintaining pool,

Old 03-03-2015, 09:19 PM

819 posts, read 1,008,144 times
Quote:
Thanks for the ball park prices. We have budgeted $30k. I do realize it won't add dollar per dollar to resale, but being able to swim year round is one of the reasons why we moved to Florida. To me it is worth spending the price to heat it.
Keep in mind that the cage will cause you to use a lot more energy to heat it as they cut the sun that hits the water significantly. I have a caged pool on the south side of my current house and it's unusable for three or four months without the heater. I can bypass the pool and heat just the spa, which is what I do, because heating 10,000 gallons of water what would need to be 10 to 15 degrees is not cheap.

My home does not have natural gas service, so I made the mistake of getting a propane heater and a leased tank from the local propane company. The issue there is you avoid the up front cost of a buried propane tank in return for dramatically higher prices on the gas; didn't know that at the time. Even at the going rate for propane though, it would be very expensive to heat.

The new home I'm building I'm going with no cage and a heat pump so I actually can use it year round. I didn't do solar because it's in a 12 foot flood zone which has caused the roof to be so high that pumping water up 30 feet to heat it would use more energy than just heating it at ground level with the heat pump.

In any case, regarding costs, my pool at the new house I'm building was $55k for what will be 10'x30' salt pool with a beach entrance and max depth of 5.5', all the electronics, the heat pump and the coping but not the decking, which is additional. So they can definitely add up quick.

One other thing to consider is chemical vs salt. If you go with a salt pool, it's much easier to maintain, but your pump has to run a certain number of hours per day. If you're doing solar, then non-issue since it would need to run anyway, but if you're doing heater, you may also want to consider chemical pool instead of salt since you'll save a lot in energy costs. I went with salt regardless because I'm super lazy about the pool chemicals and never keep up with them on a chemical pool.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:49 AM

25,833 posts, read 39,048,087 times
Friends of mine have a salt water pool with cage and solar panels and I manage their home. The solar heating saved them a lot of money on their energy bill as we in the past compared it in the neighborhood while discussing the bills.

However a solar panel is not heating a pool in the winter as some may expect. It does keep the water warmer but not warm since there are days with less sun and the night temperatures can make the water so much colder that it won't be able to get as warm as a different form of heating but my friends never cared about that since in the winter their kids didn't swim as much and if they did swim, kids are not so concerned about the temperature as adults often are.

My friend did say that even though they love the salt water for their skin the promises made by the pool company about maintenance compared to a regular pool was not that much less or cheaper. We already did have to replace the salt water cell, pool pump and light corrosion and unfortunately due to the economy the pool company went out of business so their warranty over.

They do have an AHS home warranty which paid for certain pool items that needed to be fixed and for them it paid off having it for their home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
Keep in mind that the cage will cause you to use a lot more energy to heat it as they cut the sun that hits the water significantly. I have a caged pool on the south side of my current house and it's unusable for three or four months without the heater. I can bypass the pool and heat just the spa, which is what I do, because heating 10,000 gallons of water what would need to be 10 to 15 degrees is not cheap.

My home does not have natural gas service, so I made the mistake of getting a propane heater and a leased tank from the local propane company. The issue there is you avoid the up front cost of a buried propane tank in return for dramatically higher prices on the gas; didn't know that at the time. Even at the going rate for propane though, it would be very expensive to heat.

The new home I'm building I'm going with no cage and a heat pump so I actually can use it year round. I didn't do solar because it's in a 12 foot flood zone which has caused the roof to be so high that pumping water up 30 feet to heat it would use more energy than just heating it at ground level with the heat pump.

In any case, regarding costs, my pool at the new house I'm building was $55k for what will be 10'x30' salt pool with a beach entrance and max depth of 5.5', all the electronics, the heat pump and the coping but not the decking, which is additional. So they can definitely add up quick.

One other thing to consider is chemical vs salt. If you go with a salt pool, it's much easier to maintain, but your pump has to run a certain number of hours per day. If you're doing solar, then non-issue since it would need to run anyway, but if you're doing heater, you may also want to consider chemical pool instead of salt since you'll save a lot in energy costs. I went with salt regardless because I'm super lazy about the pool chemicals and never keep up with them on a chemical pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or