U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 07:27 AM

83 posts, read 266,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
William, why do you go on about bashing Tampa when you dont even live here anymore...you had a bad experience here...and dont like it.....get over it please...i'm not sure what bashing the city about haphazard topics(pedophilia...xxx industry??) is really doing for you....i'm assuming you just have alot of time on your hands to start threads like these...from one Long Islander to another....let's just answer the inquiries from the posters who are ASKING for information and stay on topic....are you that bored that you must constantly speak of the XXX industry...it just seems a bit wierd...
ok ok, I hear ya.. This was intended to be my last posting on that topic anyway. I just wished to have been able to see something like this before I moved to Tampa few years a go. Now I'm in the East coast of FL and things are much better in that regard.

Last edited by William Hamilton; 01-12-2008 at 08:02 AM..

Old 01-12-2008, 07:35 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,963,974 times
That crime comparison doesn't make Tampa look any worse than Miami. Only in rape, so basically I'm more likely to be raped in Tampa, but murdered in Miami. Not sure it that makes me feel any safer.
According to the city-data stats, 1 out of 274 in Miami is a sex offender and 1 out of 324 in Tampa is a sex offender. Both are bad, but Miami is definitely worse off. I know this, I spend alot of time researching this last year.
Also- as pathetic and degrading strip clubs are.....pedophiles they do not make. I have not seen any studies correlating strip clubs and pedophiles. How does that explain all the priests these days? Do you think they were hanging out in strip clubs and Tampa and they decided to become molesters?
No, its repression and mental illness. Know your facts before you misinform people of serious topics.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
That crime comparison doesn't make Tampa look any worse than Miami. Only in rape, so basically I'm more likely to be raped in Tampa, but murdered in Miami. Not sure it that makes me feel any safer.
According to the city-data stats, 1 out of 274 in Miami is a sex offender and 1 out of 324 in Tampa is a sex offender. Both are bad, but Miami is definitely worse off. I know this, I spend alot of time researching this last year.
Also- as pathetic and degrading strip clubs are.....pedophiles they do not make. I have not seen any studies correlating strip clubs and pedophiles. How does that explain all the priests these days? Do you think they were hanging out in strip clubs and Tampa and they decided to become molesters?
No, its repression and mental illness. Know your facts before you misinform people of serious topics.
Oh I see, and you have your facts more straight than the FBI.

... the obvious doubling stat. numbers of Forcible Rape cases in Tampa vs any other part of Florida i.e. Miami, speaks for itself... so don't blame me for the real stats, blame the predators and/or the FBI.

Latest 2006 Crimes per 100,000 People:
Tampa, FL Miami, FL National
Forcible Rape: 40.12 25.7 32.2

and how can anyone ignore the cases of child rape and murder around Tampa that have made national news? Those were not priests committing these crimes. Most female victims of pedophiles are not victimized by priests. Never heard before that Priests are the main source of this type of crime in Tampa if that's what you mean, but the few scattered cases around the U.S. that Fox News likes to pin point once in a while in order to create conflict towards Catholicism. Remember most of TV Moguls that own News stations are Jews.

And since you claim to better understand or have done some research on the ins and outs of the pedophile's mind, maybe you could explain why Tampa has so many cases of this. I've backed up my assertions with real data, where is your data?

Last edited by William Hamilton; 01-12-2008 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-12-2008, 07:49 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,891,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hamilton View Post
Mike, I do appreciate the information but I have a very different statistical data at hand, coming directly from a reliable and well known law enforcement agency, the FBI to be exact.

Tampa has a higher rate of crime than Miami, almost double # of Forcible Rapes, more Burglary cases, more Larceny Thefts and around the same # of Vehicle Theft cases.

Overall, crime is higher when comparing these two cities, but the topic of this thread is not about that, is about how the massive xxx industry of Tampa could influence sex crimes. I firmly believe the "massive sexploitation" of this city, is not doing nothing good to protect it's citizens. The truth of the matter is that the numbers of Forcible Rapes in Tampa are outrageously higher than in any other place of Florida, and higher than the National rate numbers. Below, anyone can see how Forcible Rapes in Tampa are almost "doubling" the cases in Miami and with about 8 more crimes per 100,000 people than the national average in this regard.

May I suggest the obvious here? the "excessive" xxx industry on the city of Tampa has an indirect influence on the number of sex crimes of the city, sadly, and that's a fact based in real statistical data:

Robbery: 365.3 537.2 205.8
Aggravated Assault: 745.1 926.9 336.5
Burglary: 1342.7 1130.5 813.2
Larceny Theft: 3394.1 3045.5 2601.7
Vehicle Theft: 931.3 987.2 501.5

Formula used for chart: ((Crimes Reported) / (Population)) X 100,000)
Chart shown is a statistical comparison of the crime rates per 100,000 people.

Based on the final 2006 FBI Crime Statistics.

Crime rate results are tabulated using the crime collection area population of each city.

Crime collection population may not match US Census data. Population is based on the agencies participating in the reporting.

2007 crime stats will be available October 2008.
It makes things look nicer when you cherry pick what stats to use.

The reason I used Dade County is because when you use Miami it happens to elimate stats from Miami Beach, Miami Springs, and many other areas that are part of the metro Dade area.

Most people do want to know what a whole Metro area is like and then if it meets their criteria they will research areas within the metro area.

Your stats that you used show 101 rapes in 2006 for Miamis 330,000 residents, that leaves another 310 rapes for the rest of Dade county's 1,900,000 residents which includes Miami Beach.
Miami Beach had 81 rapes with a population of around 89,000.

Now one thing your stats do show that I like.

Tampa's crime is centralized mostly around the city center, the rest of Hillsborough county is alot better.

Whereas Miami's crime is spread out throughout the county. Unless you can afford to live in a community with private security you are in trouble.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:

... the obvious doubling stat. numbers of Forcible Rape cases in Tampa vs any other part of Florida i.e. Miami, talks for itself... so don't blame me for the real stats, blame the predators and/or the FBI.

And by the way, this thread is not about Miami, it's about Tampa.
The thread is about Tampa but without somewhere else to compare it against it just would not have any impact.

Being you are from Miami I thought that would be a good comparison.

FYI 40.12 is not double 25.7 but 361 is alot more than double 148

Old 01-12-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The thread is about Tampa but without somewhere else to compare it against it just would not have any impact.

Being you are from Miami I thought that would be a good comparison.

FYI 40.12 is not double 25.7 but 361 is alot more than double 148
Ok, let me be exact then, 40.12 almost double 25.7

but

Tampa Population is: 331,487 and Miami population is: 392,934

if you divide the total population of Tampa with the number of reported cases (40.12) you'll find out that for every 8,287 people there is 1 rape.

so since Miami has 61,447 more people than Tampa, this will imply about 7 more cases of Forcible Rape in Tampa, if the cities were to have identical numbers of population.

47 vs 25. that will make the math almost right

Mike, we just opened couple offices in Miami an Ft. Lauderdale, I'm from NY city

Old 01-12-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Ok, let me be exact then, 40.12 almost double 25.7

but

Tampa Population is: 331,487 and Miami population is: 392,934

if you divide the total population of Tampa with the number of reported cases (40.12) you'll find out that for every 8,287 people there is 1 rape.

so since Miami has 61,447 more people than Tampa, this will imply about 7 more cases of Forcible Rape in Tampa, if the cities were to have identical numbers of population.

47 vs 25. that will make the math almost right

Mike, we just opened couple offices in Miami an Ft. Lauderdale, I'm from NY city

Ok, now your posts are getting a little off, "number of reported cases (40.12)"
What is .12 of a rape?

Dee DEE Dee

The 40.12 is per 100,000 so to add anything to it is not valid.

As I stated though, the metro area of a city would be the best barometer of what is going on there which in this case happens to be that Miami-Dade County has double the amount of rapes as Hillsborough County.

I just thought you lived in Dade County since every one of your posts is either how great Miami is and how terrible Tampa is. I didn't see any NY posts so I didn't make the connection. But that is neither here nor there. Your posts needed a comparison and I used Dade County.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:06 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,963,974 times
Quote:

... the obvious doubling stat. numbers of Forcible Rape cases in Tampa vs any other part of Florida i.e. Miami, speaks for itself... so don't blame me for the real stats, blame the predators and/or the FBI.

and how can anyone ignore the cases of child rape and murder around Tampa that have made national news? Those were not priests committing these crimes. Most female victims of pedophiles are not victimized by priests. Never heard before that Priests are the main source of this type of crime in Tampa if that's what you mean, but the few scattered cases around the U.S. that Fox News likes to pin point once in a while in order to create conflict towards Catholicism. Remember most of TV Moguls that own News stations are Jews.

And since you claim to better understand or have done some research on the ins and outs of the pedophile's mind, maybe you could explain why Tampa has so many cases of this. I've backed up my assertions with real data, where is your data?
I've already stated where my data was. As for your data, it proves nothing except for Tampa has its problems just as Miami has its problems and everywhere else in the country has. I don't understand your intentions, other than a childlike tendency to say, na na your city is worse than mine. I don't get it.
Also get your facts straight about tv moguls and Fox News. There is not just a few scattered cases that the news is trying to create conflict against Catholicism. There are hundreds and thousands of children and adults that have come out against the Catholic priests who molested them.
And as a Jew myself, after those last comments I have nothing else to discuss with someone like you.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Ok, now your posts are getting a little off, "number of reported cases (40.12)"
What is .12 of a rape?

Dee DEE Dee

The 40.12 is per 100,000 so to add anything to it is not valid.

As I stated though, the metro area of a city would be the best barometer of what is going on there which in this case happens to be that Miami-Dade County has double the amount of rapes as Hillsborough County.

I just thought you lived in Dade County since every one of your posts is either how great Miami is and how terrible Tampa is. I didn't see any NY posts so I didn't make the connection. But that is neither here nor there. Your posts needed a comparison and I used Dade County.
.12 what?

I don't really understand what you mean. I have not created the numbers, ask the FBI, they may be able to answer what's .12 of a rape is about.

and the fact that I'm not from Miami but talk good about the city of Miami, should be something positive. That such opinions are coming from an impartial point of view with not BIAS towards the city but still love it. That should make it even more credible. I wish everyone from FL would talk that well about NY city.

And how many people are originally from Tampa in Tampa? Many are transplants from Ohio and other states. There are couple of NYorkers living in Tampa on this forum. The truth to the matter is that many of the people here have an interest in making Tampa sound like heaven on earth... and I have to argue that.

Hey, actually I do own a property in Tampa, that would make me officially a local entitled to make opinions on that city.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-12-2008 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: don't call poster's names.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:24 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,831,619 times
Ok..you can barter, argue stats all day long.

You brought Miami into the topic by your comparision. The city of Tampa itself is larger in sq miles than Miami. Could that skew the results, maybe. Should the comparison be counties instead of cities? Maybe.

I think we can all agree 1 rape or 1 pedophile is one too many. I believe most citizens of Tampa would rather these places didn't exsist, but they do and at this time there is little anyone can do since the law is on their side all the way to the supreme court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or