U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:20 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,574,360 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Palm Harbor this year and we would like some real information about the high schools....is the public school system good or would you recommend a private school environment? We will be visiting the area in Feb/2008 and plan on visiting the schools and looking at real estate. Another question....who do you buy home owners insurance from....and how much does the hurricane insurance cost.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 01:43 PM

34 posts, read 90,214 times
Palm Harbor University is the number 1 high school, then Eastlake. Downhill after that or so I'm told. Home owners ins is bought from any ins agency. All ins here is out of sight.
Its not the paradise you may think. Do some real investigating.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:10 PM

5 posts, read 16,367 times
Default Palm Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen48 View Post
Palm Harbor University is the number 1 high school, then Eastlake. Downhill after that or so I'm told. Home owners ins is bought from any ins agency. All ins here is out of sight.
Could you be more specific on that last line??

Old 02-02-2008, 06:29 AM

Default Taxes & Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen48 View Post
We have been looking into moving to Florida for several months now...I have researched the property tax assessment of 2.4% or so of the purchase price of a home....which basically starts out at $7200.00 yearly on a $300,000 home without the homestead exemption....I am also aware of future tax increases being tied to the Consumer Price Index...but what I find unsettleing is the high cost of home owners insurance which could easily be equal to and/or surpass the yearly homeowners property tax....We will visiting Palm Harbor this week....Feb 8th...to the 14th....our first stop will be to the local High School....then an insurance agent to check out home owners/hurricane/flood/auto insurance...the town clerk to determine how property taxes are determined on the purchase of a home....and then of course will will be looking at some homes.....perhaps after the first 3 stops... we will not be making the 4th....

Old 03-20-2008, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 6,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
We have been looking into moving to Florida for several months now...I have researched the property tax assessment of 2.4% or so of the purchase price of a home....which basically starts out at $7200.00 yearly on a $300,000 home without the homestead exemption....I am also aware of future tax increases being tied to the Consumer Price Index...but what I find unsettleing is the high cost of home owners insurance which could easily be equal to and/or surpass the yearly homeowners property tax....We will visiting Palm Harbor this week....Feb 8th...to the 14th....our first stop will be to the local High School....then an insurance agent to check out home owners/hurricane/flood/auto insurance...the town clerk to determine how property taxes are determined on the purchase of a home....and then of course will will be looking at some homes.....perhaps after the first 3 stops... we will not be making the 4th....
What were the results of your trip? We are considering relocating to Palm Harbor as well. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:17 AM

251 posts, read 795,239 times
Palm Harbor is very nice, my sister and her husband lived there for about 15 years and now live in Clearwater. Palm Harbor University is a good school, however I don’t believe any public schools in Florida are better then private or a good home school. (Florida schools are ranked second to the last in the US) You can’t (as one poster said) buy insurance from “anywhere” as most insurance companies are not writing insurance in Florida anymore. You will be with the state run Citizens Insurance or an un-regulated company. Property insurance here is outrageous, be prepared! In many cases the property insurance is equal to or more then your property taxes. My property taxes in Pasco County (which are considerable lower then Pinellas County) on an 1800sq ft home are $3,000 and my homeowners insurance is $3200.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:52 AM

What were the results of your trip? We are considering relocating to Palm Harbor as well. Thanks.[/quote]

The trip was great....but we have expanded our search up further north...the Property Taxes were estimated to be $6K plus a year, the homeowners, flood, hurricane, auto insurance was a little higher....it seems the closer you are to the water...the more it costs and the older the house...the more it costs....no insurance agent would give us a price...just a range....because they have to inspect the property first....before they can even accept it.....ho ho ho.....the school seemed fine....but I would look into it further before I make any decisions.......

Old 03-25-2008, 06:47 AM

8,489 posts, read 17,408,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
Palm Harbor is very nice, my sister and her husband lived there for about 15 years and now live in Clearwater. Palm Harbor University is a good school, however I don’t believe any public schools in Florida are better then private or a good home school. (Florida schools are ranked second to the last in the US) You can’t (as one poster said) buy insurance from “anywhere” as most insurance companies are not writing insurance in Florida anymore. You will be with the state run Citizens Insurance or an un-regulated company. Property insurance here is outrageous, be prepared! In many cases the property insurance is equal to or more then your property taxes. My property taxes in Pasco County (which are considerable lower then Pinellas County) on an 1800sq ft home are $3,000 and my homeowners insurance is $3200.
If you are going to attempt to give information please make it accurate. Florida ranks 14th in the nation in education accountability.

My insurance is under $700 for $340K in coverage with out comprehensive sinkhole coverage. If I got the comprehensive it would be around $1500.

Opinions are one thing but when you state Florida is second to last in education then you go beyond opinion into outright untruths.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:08 PM

251 posts, read 795,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
If you are going to attempt to give information please make it accurate. Florida ranks 14th in the nation in education accountability.

My insurance is under $700 for $340K in coverage with out comprehensive sinkhole coverage. If I got the comprehensive it would be around $1500.

Opinions are one thing but when you state Florida is second to last in education then you go beyond opinion into outright untruths.
I am not sure where you get your numbers at but if you simply google graduation rates and school rankings you will see Florida is not at the upper end.

As for your $700 insurance bill that lacks sinkhole coverage, that is a risk that you may want to take but not me...especially when I live in "sinkhole alley" You can google that too! (Pasco, Pinellas, Hernando Counties) There is more of a chance of having your home damaged by a sinkhole then a hurricane or fire combined! I seriously don't believe that your insurance is only $700 anyway and I more believe that it has to do with you being a real estate agent.

TALLAHASSEE - Florida's graduation rate improved 3 percentage points to 60.5 percent, but it still is among the nation's lowest and well below the national average of 69.9 percent, Education Week magazine reported Tuesday.

The "Diplomas Count" assessment put Florida in 45th place among the 50 states and District of Columbia.

The annual report has consistently shown Florida's graduation rate to be significantly lower than state figures, which include GEDs and special diplomas.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:24 AM

8,489 posts, read 17,408,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
I am not sure where you get your numbers at but if you simply google graduation rates and school rankings you will see Florida is not at the upper end.

As for your $700 insurance bill that lacks sinkhole coverage, that is a risk that you may want to take but not me...especially when I live in "sinkhole alley" You can google that too! (Pasco, Pinellas, Hernando Counties) There is more of a chance of having your home damaged by a sinkhole then a hurricane or fire combined! I seriously don't believe that your insurance is only $700 anyway and I more believe that it has to do with you being a real estate agent.

TALLAHASSEE - Florida's graduation rate improved 3 percentage points to 60.5 percent, but it still is among the nation's lowest and well below the national average of 69.9 percent, Education Week magazine reported Tuesday.

The "Diplomas Count" assessment put Florida in 45th place among the 50 states and District of Columbia.

The annual report has consistently shown Florida's graduation rate to be significantly lower than state figures, which include GEDs and special diplomas.
Here is what the #14 ranking is based upon.

Florida Schools Rank 14th Nationally
Florida's schools ranked 14th nationally with a grade of C-plus on a report card issued Wednesday by Education Week magazine...

Published On: 1/9/2008 | Source: Gainesville Sun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Florida's schools ranked 14th nationally with a grade of C-plus on a report card issued Wednesday by Education Week magazine, although the state placed 38th in public education spending.

Much of the credit for Florida's overall finish among the 50 states and District of Columbia goes to high marks for its teaching profession and system of standards, assessment and accountability. Those are two of six categories measured in the annual Quality Counts report.

Also noteworthy is Florida's seventh-place ranking in kindergarten through 12th grade achievement — an improvement from 31st last year — although the state received a grade of only C in that category. Florida was so high this year because the average national grade was a dismal D-plus.

Florida's current achievement remained below average, but its high overall ranking in that category was due to "very strong improvements in recent years and relatively small poverty gaps," the report says.

The biggest drag on Florida's achievement grade was its 2004 graduation rate of only 60.5 percent — 45th nationally.

State education officials insist graduation rates on such national comparisons are based on unreliable statistical models while Florida obtains more accurate numbers by tracking every student. The state's number for last year was 72.4 percent.

Another difference is that the state counts General Education Development and other special diplomas not included in national statistics.

The report was compiled by the magazine's parent, Bethesda, Md.-based Editorial Projects in Education, with support from the Pew Center on the States, a research organization in Washington, D.C.

As far as you not believing my insurance amount, there is nothing I can do about that. I did also put up what the amount would be with the comprehensive coverage.

You also state that there is more of a chance of having sinkhole damage than fire or hurricane damage. I hope you weren't just basing this statement on what Mr.Broderick from Earth Tech had to say.

From what I found the chances of damage from fire is around 9% and from hurricane is 15%-20%. There is no study done to determine the chances of getting a sinkhole, in fact here is what the DEP has to say.

What is the sinkhole risk factor associated with my area?

Unfortunately there is no ready reference on sinkhole prediction or risk assessment. The insurance companies have tried developing some sort of risk prediction methodology, but since the underground cavities are largely undetectable without expensive ground-penetrating radar surveys, resistivity tests, or test drilling, no real progress towards this goal has been made. About the most we can presently do is construct regional maps such as our, Sinkhole, Development and Distribution in Florida Map, showing zones of sinkhole occurrences based on the local geology and historical sinkhole activity.

I try to base my posts on facts and data. If I post my opinion I state it is my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or