Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 04:35 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times

Advertisements

Skimmers found at more gas stations in Tampa Bay - WFLA News Channel 8

Well, I guess some folks are at it again...
(These are probably those who couldn't find a job here!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 07:45 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Rule #1 - never use your debit card at gas stations....

Old 03-18-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Rule #1 - never use your debit card at gas stations....
Yeah, that would be "ideal" I guess, but not everyone has credit cards. Some of us like to pay for our stuff when we buy it, and not at the end of the month.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:06 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Yeah, that would be "ideal" I guess, but not everyone has credit cards. Some of us like to pay for our stuff when we buy it, and not at the end of the month.
The cure is closer than you think. Once you will experience problems with stolen money from your debit card opposite to credit card, you will be more than happy use your credit and pay at the end of month or learn how to deal with cash. Been there done that

Sometimes people wrongly assume they can treat debit as credit so as their banks. but it's not the case. Bank will not be giving you money back fast and ease. If someone used credit card, bank will take care of this after one call and start investigation (I assume involving their insurance policy). Not the case with debit - it's your CASH money on their account.

It took me 1 day to disputed charges from credit card after it was stolen (not actual card but number), and it took me 8(!) months to get part of my money back when my debit card was stolen (not actual card). Thanks God I didn't have automated transfer from saving to checking otherwise all my savings would be drained.
Also something I learned hard way - when you report debit card being stolen, bank cannot stop distribution of payments if the card was used. It means all pending transactions were cashed even after I report a problem.

So, paying once at the end of month for your credit card is much better and easy alternative!

Old 03-18-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
The cure is closer than you think. Once you will experience problems with stolen money from your debit card opposite to credit card, you will be more than happy use your credit and pay at the end of month or learn how to deal with cash. Been there done that

Sometimes people wrongly assume they can treat debit as credit so as their banks. but it's not the case. Bank will not be giving you money back fast and ease. If someone used credit card, bank will take care of this after one call and start investigation (I assume involving their insurance policy). Not the case with debit - it's your CASH money on their account.

It took me 1 day to disputed charges from credit card after it was stolen (not actual card but number), and it took me 8(!) months to get part of my money back when my debit card was stolen (not actual card). Thanks God I didn't have automated transfer from saving to checking otherwise all my savings would be drained.
Also something I learned hard way - when you report debit card being stolen, bank cannot stop distribution of payments if the card was used. It means all pending transactions were cashed even after I report a problem.

So, paying once at the end of month for your credit card is much better and easy alternative!
If someone is trying to steal money from my debit card they'll be in for a "card declined" surprise...due to "no available funds"! hahahahaha We never have enough money for ourselves let alone thief's...LOL It would be funny to watch their faces tho as they get that message! LOLOL

I don't use credit cards. I have no need for more bills at the end of the month. Actually that is not true, I've had to dispute charges from online retailers with my bank and they put the money back within seconds. That's a misconception. I also disabled the overdraft protection once it kept going and going and going, and for ridiculous amounts like you were $2 over and they charged $35! No thanks. If there's no funds, then there's no need to try and charge my card. I don't know what bank you're using but mine puts the money back within seconds when it comes to unauthorized charges. I also know exactly how much money there is in the account and don't overspend.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:47 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
All the gas stations have to do is put in tamper proof stickers on the card reader doors so they can't be opened without been noticed.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:15 AM

26 posts, read 41,176 times
I was skimmed at the gas station in st Pete by tropicana field...guy said the pumps weren't reading the cards and the satellite often goes down and I had to go inside. Once inside the guy behind the counter starts asking where I'm from and saying, hey you have never done this before... Long story short I believe he was distracting me, his buddy also was there talking and distracting. As he ran my card thru a skimmer. The next day my discover card is calling me with fraud alerts. Thankfully I had another card with me. I never will use debit and now will always be cash at the gas stations down there. I was only visiting and it was a huge wake up call. I also will fill up in more desirable areas..that place was pretty scary!

Old 03-18-2015, 09:18 AM

198 posts, read 224,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Skimmers found at more gas stations in Tampa Bay - WFLA News Channel 8

Well, I guess some folks are at it again...
(These are probably those who couldn't find a job here!)
Thank you so much for this public service announcement.
I hope more people post like this in the future to keep us all aware!

Old 03-18-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
All the gas stations have to do is put in tamper proof stickers on the card reader doors so they can't be opened without been noticed.
Why do you think they don't though?

Old 03-18-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastGuy View Post
Thank you so much for this public service announcement.
I hope more people post like this in the future to keep us all aware!
You're welcome. Sadly, Tampa is known for all sorts of frauds...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay