Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 11:39 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
The problem is Americans love their guns...I don't understand it and have tangled with many posters on this very forum over it...So for change there has to be a willingness to...add to the overall unwillingness the NRA influence...it will never happen...Let me add for those of us who live in rural areas where waiting for help to arrive could take 20 minutes or more there is a need for self protection...but for some guy who lives in a community like Palm Harbor (I picked it because I live there) to own multiple guns and carry one when you go shopping in the local Publix is insanity...and I realize it is their "right" but it doesn't mean they have to exercise that right...
But its OK for a criminal in an urban area with no right to carry gun to do so?

Its the criminal that uses firearms to rob others, settle disputes and otherwise use a firearm for illegal purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
The sad thing is if we stopped all gun sales tomorrow there would still be enough floating around to keep the "bad" guys armed for tens of decades to come...
Just like everything else the government has "banned" or "controlled" those who want it get it.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:57 AM

A Weekend Of Crime: Neighbor Shot And Killed On Flatbush; Toddler Hit By Bullet On Rugby; Armed Robbery At E. 18th Street & Ditmas Avenue

Click above to see the problem. The problem is NOT the law abiding citizen who buys a gun for sport or protection.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:23 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,162,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If that would be the case then explain the amount of shootings in The Netherlands where guns laws forbid the public of having them.

Huh? Our murder rate is 73 times higher than the Netherlands and our firearm death rate is 23 times higher. Our murder rate by firearms is 14 times higher.

Netherlands vs United States Crime Stats Compared

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-24-2015, 03:27 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,971,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Huh? Our murder rate is 73 times higher than the Netherlands and our firearm death rate is 23 times higher. Our murder rate by firearms is 14 times higher.

Netherlands vs United States Crime Stats Compared

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Netherlands doesn't have the "urban" element that the US does, either. Let's call it how it is.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:16 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,162,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Netherlands doesn't have the "urban" element that the US does, either. Let's call it how it is.
"Urban element".

Old 03-24-2015, 07:20 PM

7,115 posts, read 8,600,209 times
I know when I posted my view I would be skewered...the United States is a very violent society...for many,many reasons and I understand one of the reasons is the sub-culture worship of guns...but it's the old chicken and the egg...is the worship due to the violent nature of one group or the easy access to guns ??? A gun is the great equalizer to many stupid, cowardly or dumb people...

Old 03-24-2015, 11:36 PM

6,583 posts, read 4,959,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Black lives matter when killed by a white cop. Otherwise black lives killed by other blacks don't mean much!!!! I saw Bay news 9 and I saw the community pleading with the youth to talk to the cops. Where is Rev Al or Eric Holder? No where to be found!!!!
I don't understand this argument, or maybe I do I just can't digest it, is almost like a little kid saying "but mom they are doing it too", for example the vast majority of child kidnappings are done by a estranged parent, the vast majority of physical assault on females is done by husbands, I can't grab a kid from a park or smack a women, then say hey worry about the parents where is the outrage, worry about the husbands not me, it's a weak red herring. Cops need to be held to a higher standard, there is an implicit trust that is violated, or society is not a battlefield, Cops are not soldiers they shouldn't act like this is a war, soldiers follow orders cops make decisions if a 12 yo reaching in his pocket scares you look fit a different line of work. I am not saying cops are evil to me it's a matter of governance more than anything, studies show that in medium and large police departments the majority of training revolves around the use of surplus military equipment and assault tactics, when they should be focused on de escalation and community policing.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:47 PM

7,115 posts, read 8,600,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I don't understand this argument, or maybe I do I just can't digest it, is almost like a little kid saying "but mom they are doing it too", for example the vast majority of child kidnappings are done by a estranged parent, the vast majority of physical assault on females is done by husbands, I can't grab a kid from a park or smack a women, then say hey worry about the parents where is the outrage, worry about the husbands not me, it's a weak red herring. Cops need to be held to a higher standard, there is an implicit trust that is violated, or society is not a battlefield, Cops are not soldiers they shouldn't act like this is a war, soldiers follow orders cops make decisions if a 12 yo reaching in his pocket scares you look fit a different line of work. I am not saying cops are evil to me it's a matter of governance more than anything, studies show that in medium and large police departments the majority of training revolves around the use of surplus military equipment and assault tactics, when they should be focused on de escalation and community policing.
Unfortunately even a 12 yo can be armed...true cops are not soldiers but they're not your parents,preist or therapist...this happened while I lived in NYC...
A former U.S. Navy hospital corpsman and third generation police officer,[2] McDonald was shot three times in the line of duty by 15-year-old Shavod Jones (1971–1995) whom he was questioning about bicycle thefts in Central Park. Detective McDonald and a co-worker were on patrol in Central Park, because there had been reports a robbery in the park. Three young boys between the age of 13 and 15 looked suspicious and started running away when the two police officers went towards them. They split up, and McDonald found them hiding in some bushes. He started to question them, and noticed something in the sock of one of the boys and when he wanted to see what it was, he was shot and nearly killed. The first of the three bullets that hit Steven McDonald hit him in the head, above his eye. The second hit his throat which caused him to have a speaking disability and the third shattered his spine, paralyzing him from the neck down and leaving him quadriplegic and in need of a ventilator.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:12 AM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times
Australian's take on gun control:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP3H...ature=youtu.be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay