Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 6,323 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Memphis, TN. I am so considering moving to Florida. I have close family that have been living in Davenport for almost 2 yrs. They say that its just OK. I also have friends that live in Jacksonville and Tallahassee. I have visited Orlando a few times, but I don't think I could live there. I want to move to somewhere near Davenport not too far but not too close. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 12:52 PM

85 posts, read 101,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyme_81 View Post
I currently live in Memphis, TN. I am so considering moving to Florida. I have close family that have been living in Davenport for almost 2 yrs. They say that its just OK. I also have friends that live in Jacksonville and Tallahassee. I have visited Orlando a few times, but I don't think I could live there. I want to move to somewhere near Davenport not too far but not too close. Any suggestions?
Hey, you need to figure out how far is not to far. If it's an hour, why don't you try the east coast, Coco Beach any where along that coastal area. If your family is telling you its just OK, then maybe you have to think it out. I have a friend that lived in Davenport 15 years, mainly because he was a Disney employee. He says everything is the same around there it doesn't change much, he moved to Apollo Beach loves it. Not much going on there for me though. There are a lot of people from your area that settled on the West side by Tampa and St Pete only hour to hour and a half to Davenport. A mix of generations and better paying jobs.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunedin View Post
Hey, you need to figure out how far is not to far. If it's an hour, why don't you try the east coast, Coco Beach any where along that coastal area. If your family is telling you its just OK, then maybe you have to think it out. I have a friend that lived in Davenport 15 years, mainly because he was a Disney employee. He says everything is the same around there it doesn't change much, he moved to Apollo Beach loves it. Not much going on there for me though. There are a lot of people from your area that settled on the West side by Tampa and St Pete only hour to hour and a half to Davenport. A mix of generations and better paying jobs.

Thanks for answering. I have been looking at Tampa. I'm currently an LPN and I saw that Pediatria Healthcare has a few position similar to what I do here in Memphis. I am considering Tampa since it will only be about an hour away from my family.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:41 PM

213 posts, read 660,164 times
the drive from Tampa to Davenport will be over an hour. I hope you wouldn't mind a crazy commute. You would have to take I-4 to have a straight drive and it gets crazy on I-4. Davenport the town itself is very small. There are several places where you could live in Polk County and be closer to your family. There is a large medical center called Watson Clinic, I checked there are several LPN job openings right now there, Watson Clinic LLP - Family Health & Medical Center, Lakeland Florida - Watson Clinic LLP It is in Lakeland, the largest city in Polk County, depending on traffic and which way you went you could be in Davenport in 30-40 minutes from Lakeland. You could of course live in other towns, such as Winter Haven, there is Winter Haven Hospital and Gessler Clinic and Bond Clinic in Winter Haven. Winter Haven has about 60,000 people and is about 20 minutes from Davenport. Lakeland also has Lakeland Regional Health, not sure if this hospital still hires LPNs or not. Lakeland also has Clark and Daugherty medical clinic. As you can see there is a lot of opportunity in Polk county if you wanted to be closer to your family. I personally am not that crazy about Lakeland, but that is my opinion. I have lived here way to long, so I know a lot about the area. Feel free to PM me and I will try to answer any questions about the area you may have. Kinda funny how you want to move down here, I personally want to move back to Tennessee, middle or east Tennessee.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:45 AM

239 posts, read 326,319 times
I've thought about Knoxville before or the possibility of living there but it probably wont be until yrs away especially since I moved back here. Knoxville is supposed to be pretty nice.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:12 AM

Knoxville is really nice. I have some family that lives outside of Knoxville in a small town called Powell, TN. I have considered Nashville or Knoxville, but I love warm weather and they both get colder than Memphis in the winter months. Nashville definitively has a bigger market for jobs than Knoxville.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straw71 View Post
the drive from Tampa to Davenport will be over an hour. I hope you wouldn't mind a crazy commute. You would have to take I-4 to have a straight drive and it gets crazy on I-4. Davenport the town itself is very small. There are several places where you could live in Polk County and be closer to your family. There is a large medical center called Watson Clinic, I checked there are several LPN job openings right now there, Watson Clinic LLP - Family Health & Medical Center, Lakeland Florida - Watson Clinic LLP It is in Lakeland, the largest city in Polk County, depending on traffic and which way you went you could be in Davenport in 30-40 minutes from Lakeland. You could of course live in other towns, such as Winter Haven, there is Winter Haven Hospital and Gessler Clinic and Bond Clinic in Winter Haven. Winter Haven has about 60,000 people and is about 20 minutes from Davenport. Lakeland also has Lakeland Regional Health, not sure if this hospital still hires LPNs or not. Lakeland also has Clark and Daugherty medical clinic. As you can see there is a lot of opportunity in Polk county if you wanted to be closer to your family. I personally am not that crazy about Lakeland, but that is my opinion. I have lived here way to long, so I know a lot about the area. Feel free to PM me and I will try to answer any questions about the area you may have. Kinda funny how you want to move down here, I personally want to move back to Tennessee, middle or east Tennessee.
Middle TN is great. I have family all over TN(Chattanooga, Knoxville area, Clarksville, Nashville and small towns in between). I just think it is more to do in Florida, than Memphis. My family and a few friends that live in Florida are always doing something. I just want my children to experience diversity. I also want to work for All Childrens Hospital. I will be obtain my BSN soon and In Tampa they have a nurse residency program for new grads. I also checked on position at the Mayo clinic( my friend just moved to Orange Park, Fl) and they have a program as well. Memphis is an OK place to live, but the crime is ridiculous. I would love to move to Florida but I just wan to make sure it's the right move.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:13 AM

5 posts, read 5,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyme_81 View Post
Middle TN is great. I have family all over TN(Chattanooga, Knoxville area, Clarksville, Nashville and small towns in between). I just think it is more to do in Florida, than Memphis. My family and a few friends that live in Florida are always doing something. I just want my children to experience diversity. I also want to work for All Childrens Hospital. I will be obtain my BSN soon and In Tampa they have a nurse residency program for new grads. I also checked on position at the Mayo clinic( my friend just moved to Orange Park, Fl) and they have a program as well. Memphis is an OK place to live, but the crime is ridiculous. I would love to move to Florida but I just wan to make sure it's the right move.

I also live in TN and want to move to Tampa area. I am an LPN and in RN school now. Where are you referring to that has the nurse residency program for new grads? Is that for RNs? Personally, I love the Tampa area but that's really the only area I have been to!

Old 05-21-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower123 View Post
I also live in TN and want to move to Tampa area. I am an LPN and in RN school now. Where are you referring to that has the nurse residency program for new grads? Is that for RNs? Personally, I love the Tampa area but that's really the only area I have been to!
The Hospital is All Childrens Hospital in Tampa

Old 05-22-2015, 11:15 AM

85 posts, read 101,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flower123 View Post
My wife is a critical care nurse here in Dunedin. Small hospital but nice area. Its part of the BayCare health system with bigger hospitals. Don't forget to get your reciprocity for the state of Florida when you take your exam and any other state you may want to choose. If not you'll have to pay about a $ 350 fee for license expansion to work in the state of Florida. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay