U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:48 PM

849 posts, read 3,200,303 times

Advertisements

this link is for YOUNG people. I think that says it all, Tampa may very well be the place for you young folks but please be aware, many of us who are not old enough to retire still need to work. For us it is not the best place and I'm not sure I know anyplace that is anymore. I'm just as much of a seeker as y'all are. When I was in Charlotte 15 years ago it was the same. 55 year old (professional) guys absolutely needing jobs but not being hired and families losing homes, etc. If a poster doesn't specifically mention they're young, maybe Tampa isn't the place for them and even then it takes a certain set of non-work skills to make it in business. Not everyone has those but they aren't stupid, lazy or content to work at McDonald's. I do think that like Charlotte, this is a very commercial town and if you aren't commercially motivated and your "profession" (outside of medicine and teaching) doesn't support commerce, you probably will struggle at being underemployed. I think this is America. That's all. The American Dream as discussed here, takes hard work but it is a very business focused culture so anyone who chooses to not participate, may find themselves cut out of THE dream and should seek an alternative one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
i disagree with most of this, but you can look here, maybe contact some of these organizations.

Business: Young professionals to peers: It's great in Tampa Bay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 10:27 PM

36 posts, read 95,420 times
Default Please visit the area OP

To the OP,

Please visit the area before making a decision. Stay a week, enjoy lunch downtown, walk the beaches, goto the malls, drive thru specific neighborhoods you may want to live, investigate the high schools, attend a church/religious service.

I would ignore statistics that promote www.tampagov.net/dept_community_planning/files/statistics/rankings.pdf (http://www.tampagov.net/dept_community_planning/files/statistics/rankings.pdf - broken link); and I would also ignore those that are negative http://www.tampabay.org/documents/NR-RES_Summer07.pdf.

Instead focus on whether Tampa is better than your alternatives. In my opinion, Tampa seems economically and educationally depressed. However, if you start a business there are many advantages. Good Luck and remember, don't worry, if it doesn't work out, Tampa will be just another adventure before you found your home.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:37 AM

849 posts, read 3,200,303 times
Default wish I had thought

of that
Ishten, I like your last sentence I've been very grumpy on this thread and it's so unlike me. This is much more the way I feel even at my age. But it's the mommy thing I guess. I really want to spare anyone the difficulties we've encountered. I guess I've let the fact I have no friends my age get to me. They just can't figure out why we don't "settle down" in the same place and do the same thing for years on end so most older settled people tend to not get attached to us thinking we'll be gone. The truth is probably if we felt welcomed and supported, we have no families, we'd stick around. Anyone who reaches 60 an doesn't see that others are carrying some baggage, is living in denial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishten View Post
To the OP,

Please visit the area before making a decision. Stay a week, enjoy lunch downtown, walk the beaches, goto the malls, drive thru specific neighborhoods you may want to live, investigate the high schools, attend a church/religious service.

I would ignore statistics that promote www.tampagov.net/dept_community_planning/files/statistics/rankings.pdf (http://www.tampagov.net/dept_community_planning/files/statistics/rankings.pdf - broken link); and I would also ignore those that are negative http://www.tampabay.org/documents/NR-RES_Summer07.pdf.

Instead focus on whether Tampa is better than your alternatives. In my opinion, Tampa seems economically and educationally depressed. However, if you start a business there are many advantages. Good Luck and remember, don't worry, if it doesn't work out, Tampa will be just another adventure before you found your home.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:53 PM

3 posts, read 7,141 times
Default Tampa Bay has real problems with quality career opportunity

I've been here 6 years now and can say without a doubt, that in my lifelong career field this is the pits for IT jobs. Major league sized population and minor league opportunities.

I'll be specific: JP Morgan Chase is looking for IT project managers for temp positions. They want to pay $35/hour with no benefits for a 6 month project. This type of position with a fortune 500 company would pay a minimum of $100-$150K elsewhere.

Employers here expect a long laundry list of skills and don't pay what the same skills and experience payed in 1996 (12 years ago). In general Tampa Bay IT employers expect world class talent and experience for network professional positions while offering the pay of level 2 desktop support.

Nearly every IT job advertised down here is a temp position. Companies try to do IT on the cheap commonly using illegal software and hiring temps with no benefits.

A lack of quality opportunity, unreasonably high expectations for low pay and temp jobs at that make this a terrible place for IT work!

Last edited by ITMAN; 01-28-2008 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: wording in title

Old 01-29-2008, 08:58 AM

81 posts, read 279,797 times
Tampa is not too bad and not great either. Pay is less compared to some other cities. I have lived in Miami and I did not find any better there than Tampa either. On top of that, it was very expensive to live in Miami. My opinion - there are lots of good jobs in Tampa in financial and accounting industry. IT industry sucks in Tampa. Real Estate industry definitely will suck for next few years. I am not sure about health care here.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:00 AM

792 posts, read 2,014,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITMAN View Post
I've been here 6 years now and can say without a doubt, that in my lifelong career field this is the pits for IT jobs. Major league sized population and minor league opportunities.

I'll be specific: JP Morgan Chase is looking for IT project managers for temp positions. They want to pay $35/hour with no benefits for a 6 month project. This type of position with a fortune 500 company would pay a minimum of $100-$150K elsewhere.

Employers here expect a long laundry list of skills and don't pay what the same skills and experience payed in 1996 (12 years ago). In general Tampa Bay IT employers expect world class talent and experience for network professional positions while offering the pay of level 2 desktop support.

Nearly every IT job advertised down here is a temp position. Companies try to do IT on the cheap commonly using illegal software and hiring temps with no benefits.

A lack of quality opportunity, unreasonably high expectations for low pay and temp jobs at that make this a terrible place for IT work!

That's why nobody wants to go into the IT field anymore. At one time, such as back in 1996, you could pretty much write your own paycheck. The reason you could make so much money then, was because there was very few people with those skills...supply and demand, etc.
Nowadays, with all the H1B visas and multitude of people who can and will do it dirt cheap, the supply of people is much larger than the demand. In return, it just doesn't pay as good.
The golden age of IT is long gone.

I don't think that's necessarily a Tampa thing either, most companies that hire IT folks, don't have to pay the exorbitant wages, they did 8 or 10 years ago.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:40 AM

6 posts, read 15,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
I read a question from a guy asking about a career in RE. I'm not talking about buying or selling a home. I understand the market very well. I may have mixed up my threads however. Sorry if I did that.
Yeeah, we're in trouble, not just in Tampa bay, the whole country is a mess right now. The discouraging thing is there was a post on some thread where the poster said things will get better when we have a new prez. NOT Things will get better when we get the attitude our grandparents had and decide to make better lives for ourselves by OURSELVES. The only government that can take care of all your needs is a dictatorship and even then, if you aren't in the "right" group you're worse off. And if you are in the "right" group, you still live by someone else's idea of what YOU need instead of being self determined.
If that's not where you want to be, get out there and do whatever it takes, as long as it's still legal.
Ok, I'm off my soap box now
yeah, I'm new here. So hi. Yeah I guess I fit the bill of what your describing. That's how I feel about myself. I'm an artist. I work for myself by myself. I'm considering a move to Tampa and am very excited about the art opportunities it offers. I think I will do more than fine there despite the national job crisis.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 29,359 times
minimum wage in tampa/florida is horrible you honestly couldnt live off of it.. you'd have to have two jobs in less you have roommates.

job growth depending on the areas your living in you can find good jobs.
there are places developing and new homes being built around tampa

orlando job's good luck you have to look hard, and depends where you live and how much your willing to spend. some areas of orlando have really bad crime rate not all of it just pick a good area.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:59 PM

425 posts, read 1,087,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITMAN View Post
Are you a software engineer, sys admin, manager or what? I'm a software guy, Java mostly. Searching on Monster, Tampa/St. Pete is one of the better areas in the state. Certainly better than Jacksonville which is where I lived and worked from '97 to '06.

The IT industry, like anything else, is always changing. The offshoring hasn't helped us any. And internal corporate IT jobs... well, they suffer as corporations look to cut more and more from internal budgets. Right now I'm working in the defense sector which fortunately is immune to offshoring. However we have our own issues, primarily related to who is sitting in congress and the oval office at any given time.

From my standpoint, I can make decent money in FL as a senior or principle engineer. I could make more money somewhere like NYC or Silicon Valley, but the premium is nowhere near enough to offset the diff in living costs long term. Sure, the days of lucrative, rock-star salaries, signing bonuses, etc. from the dot-com boom have disappeared. But you know what, now we're just like any other professionals... we have to look hard for the right job and work hard once we get the job.

My personal career recipe is to basically stay out of management, demonstrate versatility, and invest the time to learn new technologies as they come up, even if they are things I'm not using in my day job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay