Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,148 times

Advertisements

hello, i am moving from philadelphia, PA to tampa, FL to attend college at the art institute of Tampa and i was wondering about crime rates, stores and affordable place to stay while i go to since i'm not staying on campus and to give me a little more insight on the tampa area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 08:57 PM

290 posts, read 339,212 times
While I'm not familiar with the Art Institute of Tampa, my advice would be to reconsider your choice. Private schools that even the locals don't know about usually aren't worth it. I know I didn't answer your question, but I'm concerned you may be making a big mistake.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:06 PM

819 posts, read 1,407,676 times
Interactive crime map for Tampa:

Trulia Local - Visual analysis of local data

You can zoom in to see descriptions of the types of crimes that have occurred around areas you're considering living.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:29 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakiema View Post
hello, i am moving from philadelphia, PA to tampa, FL to attend college at the art institute of Tampa and i was wondering about crime rates, stores and affordable place to stay while i go to since i'm not staying on campus and to give me a little more insight on the tampa area.
The Art Institute of Tampa is on Himes Ave. There are apartments on that road too for convenience...

I think The original Art Institute in Pittsburgh is better, but that's just my opinion...

If you stay within Carrollwood, your commute will be really easy, and you'll also be close to a lot of places to shop and eat.

That area is not exactly "bad", but it is closer to those areas if you make a left on Waters...Stay North of it and you should be ok. What will you be studying? They do have a scholarship competition once in a while which is well worth it...

Old 04-23-2015, 11:04 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,197 times
Some friends of mine went to the Art Institute. They ended up leaving when the threat of the school losing their accreditation came around. I definitely wouldn't move to go to AIT. Especially when HCC is right across the street and offers a more respectable degree.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:17 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,307 times
I would NEVER go to Art Institute. It is a big expensive ripoff! I would go to Ringling Art College in Sarasota or Fullsail in Orlando, that is if you are looking to be in Florida.

Hillsborough Community College (HCC) does have a graphic arts program. My daughter goes to FSU in Tallahassee for her bachelors in fine arts. That is a very good school.

Do yourself a big favor, don't go to AIT!

Old 04-24-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
I would NEVER go to Art Institute. It is a big expensive ripoff! I would go to Ringling Art College in Sarasota or Fullsail in Orlando, that is if you are looking to be in Florida.

Hillsborough Community College (HCC) does have a graphic arts program. My daughter goes to FSU in Tallahassee for her bachelors in fine arts. That is a very good school.

Do yourself a big favor, don't go to AIT!
I second the Ringling if you have a choice.

Full sail is full of liars, I cannot recommend them.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:58 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,307 times
Full Sail does have a sleeze factor, but a graphic artist friend recommended them. They are good for technical aspect of art like graphic design. I think they are much better than AIT by far.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
Full Sail does have a sleeze factor, but a graphic artist friend recommended them. They are good for technical aspect of art like graphic design. I think they are much better than AIT by far.
That's because they subscribe everyone to Lynda.com!!!!!!!

Their financial people are awful. I mean, sure, if you have $50k to spend go ahead, but their financial people don't even know the same information and each one makes up stuff as they go along...
Then someone told me they don't transfer credits...soooo....THAT right there can be a much bigger problem.

They have a nice campus and all, but unfortunately they too are for profit, and don't care much about academics past what they provide.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:01 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,197 times
Full Sail is great if you want an unaccredited college to provide you with some of the most expensive toilet paper you've ever bought. At the very least, AI is accredited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay