Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 09:24 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,555,936 times

Advertisements

I really think this would be a great move for downtown and MOSI. Tourist will be downtown and people love to visit museums. Where it sits right now is not exactly an area that draws tourist. Plus this would be one more magnet for downtown growth.

MOSI may move to Vinik’s Channel District project | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 10:41 AM

4,972 posts, read 7,157,141 times
Sounds like a good idea. It's current location is kind of a dud.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:40 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,313,480 times
The site is actually good, directly across from USF and blocks away from Temple Terrace with lots of good housing, golf course, rec facilities, access to wilderness parks. Also excellent access for the commuter to highways and to rail that likely will link passenger service one day to downtown.

It's the museum that's a dud. I've been twice to take out of towners (once for a chocolate event) and see no reason to return. That site would make for an excellent tech park as mentioned in the article, bringing more and better jobs to the area. So the museum can serve as a downtown novelty for cruise line passengers. It's nothing that generates a great deal of jobs or good pay nor is it a catalyst for other larger employers but would fit in well with the aquarium downtown (which I like, that's a very good aquarium), the new riverwalk, the art museum: it's a good fit for that.

Jobs-wise, it's nothing to speak of. Here's the glassdoor on it....

Working at MOSI | Glassdoor

So no great loss if it moves but, rather, that could open up good development opportunities for the USF area.

And that also shows how areas can be transformed. There was another discussion on University Mall area. Well, here's an 80 acre site 30 blocks away which could be turned into yet another center for employment. As such things develop, as areas grow, people will need nearby places to live. So those types of things can be transformative and they can happen in unexpected leaps. One day a dying museum, the next day a vibrant tech park. Things change.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:01 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,762,088 times
I thought there was sort of the same kids museum in downtown area already.
My opinion - existing MOSI location is just fine since it's on the way to Busch Gardens, visitors pass it anyways. The problem is - MOSI screams for renovations! Last time we went there with kids we notice how out of date most things were over there and the area for kid in separate building was gross and packed. So, I would bet the update/ better organization will make a different, not the change of location/

Old 04-25-2015, 04:49 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,972,277 times
The Glazer Museum is at the complete opposite end of Downtown. As for MOSI itself, I can't see why both locations wont be viable options. I think MOSI should work a lot closer with USF and allow students the opportunity to run exhibits and such while there.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:02 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,330,351 times
Sounds like a good idea. Anything to make Downtown more vibrant.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:28 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,004,355 times
It's a bad idea and will only add to the parking and traffic crisis.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:03 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,220,474 times
I think its a good idea, it would give them the opportunity to start fresh and liven up the place a bit.. id love a good science museum to visit..

Old 04-27-2015, 07:26 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,330,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
It's a bad idea and will only add to the parking and traffic crisis.
It's worth it, IMO.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:46 AM

229 posts, read 243,332 times
The location is fine for what it is...

Yea, the area around it (suitcase city and temple terrace) suck, but there is no way they could afford to have that much space downtown...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay