U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 11:28 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,373,037 times

Advertisements

This thread prompted by misinformation noticed numerously on city-data about towns near USF.

University, Hillsborough County, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...The community is often notoriously referred to by locals as Suitcase City due to the high rate of transients...

...bounded by Interstate 275 to the west, Tampa city limits to the south, University of South Florida to the east, and Bearss Avenue to the north...

Here shows suitcase city in relation to other areas including USF, Carrollwood, Lake Magdalene, New Tampa, Tampa Palms and Temple Terrace.

Here are driving distances to suitcase city from the various areas...

The closest area to suitcase city is Lake Magdalene which is suitcase city-adjacent as the eastern border of Lake Magdalene is I-275 which is also the western border of suitcase city. Also, the roughest part of suitcase city is probably along Nebraska though extends E towards Bruce B. Downs and extends N&S, N towards Bearss and S towards Fowler. Nebraska is, of course, a bit rough at parts or industrial and lower income pretty much all the way to downtown Tampa.

From the lake, Lake Magdalene itself, it is merely 2.09 miles to suitcase city at Nebraska & Fletcher.

From the lake, Lake Carroll itself, it is all of 2.61 miles to suitcase city at Nebraska & Fletcher.

Lets take that out a little further just in case you think I'm cheating. Here shows Dale Mabry in Carrollwood to Suitcase city just 3.4 miles away

Even from Amberly up in Tampa Palms/New Tampa, it is only 3.77 miles to suitcase city at Nebraska & Fletcher.

So where does Temple Terrace fit into all this. NEWS FLASH: It doesn't. Oh, but you saw signs on I-275 pointing that way to Temple Terrace so it must be somewhere over there, right? Only here's the thing, downtown TT, say at 56th at Temple Terrace Hwy aka Busch is 6.02 miles away from suitcase city at Nebraska & Fletcher, nearly twice as far away as Carrollwood, even measured as far in as Dale Mabry. And TT extends W of 56th only by very few blocks. Plus there's a 1700-acre campus (population 40,000 students) between Temple Terrace (population 25,000) and all that, so pretty much a campus the size of two good sized towns in between. Tampa Palms is closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 05:22 AM

191 posts, read 147,567 times
Would you get different answers if you measured the distances from a different location in Suitcase City, say Fowler/N 30th Ave? This location is only 3.5 miles from Temple Terrace.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird45 View Post
Would you get different answers if you measured the distances from a different location in Suitcase City, say Fowler/N 30th Ave? This location is only 3.5 miles from Temple Terrace.
No, you would not. Not if you looked at the reality of it. And here's why:

As specified in fully disclosing my method in the OP, but to reiterate here, I measured all around from what seems the worst area of suitcase city today. And I've biked through there so I've seen it personally plus I've looked at crime maps, etc.

But here's the real kicker, by your method which measures from the SE corner of what was traditionally considered the suitcase city area many years ago--where are currently and for many years already have been no problems: that's now shopping, restaurants, office parks to the south, USF's Botanical Garden across the street, etc., completely acceptable to anyone--you could just as easily say that the much touted areas of New Tampa & Tampa Palms all the way up at Amberly to the NE corner of what was traditionally thought of as suitcase city at Bearss & Bruce B. Downs is merely 1.53 miles away according to mapquest.

By your own method, which I don't believe the correct way to measure, Temple Terrace is still more than twice as far away as the New Tampa area which is touted as being safer from all that, making your critique questionable at best or simply not valid. As well, between the tradition SE corner you mention (and I've never heard anyone call that area suitcase city) which is currently and for a long time has been in very good shape--certainly better than most of Dale Mabry, particularly from Tampa & up into Carrollwood--more towards TT though still twice as far as the corresponding (by your method) NE corner is to Tampa Palms, all that has already been redeveloped. There's safe and modern housing for students and others along Bruce B Downs, a hospital directly across the street, the VA hospital which extends into the old suitcase city area with 4 acres alone just for parking, never mind the rest of the place. Further inside and down towards Fowler are gated student housing complexes, there's the planned redevelopment of U mall, etc. So suitcase city is all being chipped away on that side.

While the Eastern edge of suitcase city, what used to be bordered by Bruce B. Downs, is no longer suitcase city, not by any stretch of the imagination for that area has been and is being redeveloped, pushing even further inside what was suitcase city, the Western border of suitcase city all the way over by Nebraska and I-275, on the very furthest side, farthest away from TT and Tampa Palms but still adjacent to Lake Magdalene, still just blocks away from the Eastern edge of Greater Carrollwood, no improvements have there been made. That section is still the mess it always was.

So my method of measuring, as presented, is highly justified.

And even if I measured from the very center geographically of what was traditionally suitcase city before redevelopment, which might be around--looking at a map and estimating--N 15th or 19th at Fletcher, and measuring all around from there, you'd get similar ratios as to what I've already described because that is very near what always was and still is the worst of it. But I thought that measuring from the roughest area would be more accurate a description simply because of the city-data complaint that suitcase city is rough.

Keep in mind that suitcase city has been slowly but surely improving over these many years, such that much has been already chipped away and even if not gentrified, certainly improved. All along most of Fowler is perfectly acceptable and absolutely a better drive than coming up from downtown along Dale Mabry, through Drew Park, up into Carrollwood. And now even Fletcher as been finally improved as far as slowing down traffic and making the road safer for pedestrians, a situation which had gotten way out of hand before corrected. Other improvements have been made as well, I'll get into that in another post.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:40 AM

229 posts, read 137,069 times
There are areas of Temple Terrace that are just as bad if not worse than SuitCase City... a lot of realtors (which seem to be most of the regular posters here) wont admit that however...

The area East of 275 to about 30th street/BBD and North of Busch and South of Bearss is still horrible, there have been zero improvements except for a little pocket around the hospitals bordering BBD/USF

Old 04-29-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezwacks View Post
There are areas of Temple Terrace that are just as bad if not worse than SuitCase City... a lot of realtors (which seem to be most of the regular posters here) wont admit that however...

The area East of 275 to about 30th street/BBD and North of Busch and South of Bearss is still horrible, there have been zero improvements except for a little pocket around the hospitals bordering BBD/USF
Besides that this thread is about SUITECASE CITY and proximity to it, so how typical of you to try and hijack a thread, what you have just said is wrong. Typical of the many wrong things you've been proven to say in other threads as well.

Your post here as usual is Utter Nonsense.

By all means, name any area of incorporated Temple Terrace which is worse than suitcase city. Name even any unincorporated pocket or areas of Tampa near Temple Terrace which are worse than suitcase city. Please include crime maps and stats to back up, if you can, your ridiculous idiocy.

The only area of possible concern within TT, and county crime maps even there show it low on crime, not high as you insinuate, but merely being an area of low income residents if that bothers you, is a just very few block area E of 56th, N of Fowler, at about N 122nd Ave & N 58th St, an area of maybe 0.03 square miles. That area isn't even seen by most as it is surrounded by perfectly fine neighborhoods and well kept commercial areas.

The only other low cost, yet also very low crime area of TT is generally S of Busch towards the river, from 56th to not even 52nd. Beyond that is Tampa and every time I check crime stats in that part of Tampa it has consistently less crime, by far, than even Hyde Park. So, again, YOUR POST IS ABSOLUTE NONSENSE IN CONTENT AND YOUR ATTEMPT TO HIJACK THIS THREAD IS RUDE.

E of 275 at Busch is closest to the Lowry Park & Forest Hills areas and even to the SE quadrant of Greater Carrollwood, not to Temple Terrace. Not far south of Busch and Nebraska is the N end of Old Seminole Heights. Again, just because a highway sign on I-275 points in that direction doesn't mean the town of TT is right there. It is not. Dale Mabry is closer.

The area inside between I-275 & Bruce B Downs (aka 30th) and between Bearss and Busch is low cost, always though with the worst sections being closer to I-275/Nebraska and improving as heading towards 30th. Also it improves towards Fowler and towards Bearss. S of Busch is also fairly comfortable. There is an excellent park there that myself and a friend checked out fairly recently called Rowlett, right on the river with waterfall over the dam. Very nice. We walked the surrounding neighborhood, a lot my friend thought looked interesting, for sale on the river, 1.5 miles from Nebraska and Busch is asking $225k

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...00-66463?row=1

How very stupid was your notion that TT is worse than suitcase city. Let's see if we can judge by sexual offenders who are not allowed to live where the quality of life is better, where there are more schools and parks for instance...

Here are pix of state crime maps up to date as of moments ago. All show a 1 mile radius within each area....

Here's what Temple Terrace looks like today

Here's suitcase city today

Here's Lakes Magdalene & Carroll areas today

And just for grins, here's Hyde Park sexual offenders today...

But, again, that was just to answer your threadjack.
THIS THREAD IS ABOUT SUITCASE CITY & AREAS CLOSEST TO IT.
Please try to control your irrational TT-hating.

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 04-29-2015 at 12:53 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 12:36 PM

2,569 posts, read 3,602,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird45 View Post
Of course you do but why would you look at that? The objective of the thread is to show that suitcase city is far from Temple Terrace but close to other paces that people usually recommend in here.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
Of course you do but why would you look at that? The objective of the thread is to show that suitcase city is far from Temple Terrace but close to other paces that people usually recommend in here.
Incorrect. I actually was interested in seeing what goes on in Suitcase City. Though I certainly will make corrections to misinformation as required. Often, as happened recently on another thread TT is misaligned as erroneous posters declare it is next to Nebraska, 275, suitcase city, etc. when that is far from true in both geography or any other sense of reality.

Your post here exemplifies perfectly this problem about how city data posters misinform city data readers.

Be assured that I will continue to make corrections as required.

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 04-29-2015 at 02:23 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 01:12 PM

229 posts, read 137,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
By all means, name any area of incorporated Temple Terrace which is worse than suitcase city. Name even any unincorporated pocket or areas of Tampa near Temple Terrace which are worse than suitcase city. Please include crime maps and stats to back up, if you can, your ridiculous idiocy.
All you have to do is drive through the area around Busch Gardens, especially the South Side of Busch Blvd from 30th street up to 56th street and South to the river

Complete HOOD...

Go to the Bowling Alley there on Busch by 56th street on a Weekend night, tell me if you feel safe. They ALWAYS have a cop there... why?

The apartment complexes up and down Busch are all trash

I'm not digging up stats, all you have to do is drive around and see crime, drugs and undesirables

I have nothing personally against TT, I just call it like I see it

Old 04-29-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezwacks View Post
All you have to do is drive through the area around Busch Gardens, especially the South Side of Busch Blvd from 30th street up to 56th street and South to the river

Complete HOOD...

Go to the Bowling Alley there on Busch by 56th street on a Weekend night, tell me if you feel safe. They ALWAYS have a cop there... why?

The apartment complexes up and down Busch are all trash

I'm not digging up stats, all you have to do is drive around and see crime, drugs and undesirables

I have nothing personally against TT, I just call it like I see it
I never said Busch was a great road. But nor is Dale Mabry, unless someone is into stopping off at the strip club on their way home to their Carrollwood wife.

Meanwhile. Bowling alley? The only bowling alley I know of on 56th is up by Fletcher, not far from the wilderness parks. That area is not hood as a bigot might say. It's actually rather nice. So I google mapped. found something called cosmic bowling billiards and burgers on Busch. What is that, your hangout? Looks lovely. Enjoy it.

So, again, I just checked the state map on sexual offenders for your cosmic bowling hangout on Busch. And, boy, that's really set back there. I've been on that road many times and have never even seen it. You'd really have to be stalking Busch to know it was there. What are your other hobbies. Never mind. Just kidding. Don't really want to know.

So here's what that area looks like just moments ago...

and again, here's Hyde Park from above to compare

Good luck arguing with that.

Hope I answered your post adequately. But again, simply as reminder. THIS THREAD IS ABOUT SUITCASE CITY. THANK YOU.

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 04-29-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 01:35 PM

3,751 posts, read 2,442,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
I never said Busch was a great road. But nor is Dale Mabry, unless someone is into stopping off at the strip club on their way home to their Carrollwood wife.

Meanwhile. Bowling alley? The only bowling alley I know of on 56th is up by Fletcher, not far from the wilderness parks. That area is not hood as a bigot might say. It's actually rather nice. So I google mapped. found something called cosmic bowling billiards and burgers on Busch. What is that, your hangout? Looks lovely. Enjoy it.

So, again, I just checked the state map on sexual offenders for your cosmic bowling hangout on Busch. And, boy, that's really set back there. I've been on that road many times and have never even seen it. You'd really have to be stalking Busch to know it was there. What are your other hobbies. Never mind. Just kidding. Don't really want to know.

So here's what that area looks like just moments ago...

and again, here's Hyde Park from above to compare

Good luck arguing with that.
That's a mighty big circle around Hyde park, here I thought it was south of the crosstown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay