Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 08:20 PM

6 posts, read 6,582 times

Advertisements

Alright. So my parents and I are finally, FINALLY mustering up the courage to leave New York after years of contemplating whether it's the right decision to make. I'm now old enough (22) to understand that there is so much more to life than Queens, NY. Tampa is really a shot in the dark, considering the fact that we have no family there (or anywhere in FL), and have yet to even visit the state.

I guess what I'd really need advice on is which areas we should be looking at. We've been renting the 2nd floor of a home for over 15 years, and are looking to rent a 2br apartment in a nice community, hopefully under $1,000/mo or if it has to be more, not too much over, as long as the area is worth it.

I've found a few apartments in the Temple Terrace area. Does anyone have any comments on what type of community this is? Any current residents?

Annyyy advice/info I can get about anything Tampa Bay/FL as a whole would greatly help my parents and I in finalizing our big move

And I give cyber hugs to those that are super helpful ^.^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 06:18 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,579,061 times
$1000 will not have you in a "great" area. There are nice apartments in various areas, however those are indeed apartments, so noise, and annoying neighbors are there as well. Lots of these apartments experience car burglaries on regular basis too. If your parents are used to their surroundings, and have lived there their whole lives, uprooting them may not be good for them.

Temple Terrace is surrounded by Riff Raff...I am sure that is where your budget may fit, but I would not move somewhere as a "downgrade" to my current situation as a general rule.

I would also not move anywhere without several visits to see "where exactly am I going"...especially when you have no family here at all. Where's work? that can be a bigger problem considering traffic and how long you'll be communing. In Florida generally it's a good idea to live close to work because there is no public transit here.

If you understand there is more to life than Queens, then spend your youth getting an education and traveling around more, see the world, and not move to Tampa and be stuck in a not so great area.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:48 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,974,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Temple Terrace is surrounded by Riff Raff.

Temple Terrace is one of three established cities in Hillsborough County. To the east is Thonotosassa, a tiny town with almost nothing going on, to the north is the same and south is close to Downtown Tampa. To the west would be USF and Busch Gardens. Neither of which would I consider a terrible area.

Before taking advice on this forum, I suggest looking up a poster's other posts to see if they've said anything positive about any other parts of a city. When it comes to some posters, they've either never been to Tampa, or they don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:33 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,335,912 times
It's very hard to read your post in that color.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:14 PM

64 posts, read 77,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkamber View Post
Alright. So my parents and I are finally, FINALLY mustering up the courage to leave New York after years of contemplating whether it's the right decision to make. I'm now old enough (22) to understand that there is so much more to life than Queens, NY. Tampa is really a shot in the dark, considering the fact that we have no family there (or anywhere in FL), and have yet to even visit the state.

I guess what I'd really need advice on is which areas we should be looking at. We've been renting the 2nd floor of a home for over 15 years, and are looking to rent a 2br apartment in a nice community, hopefully under $1,000/mo or if it has to be more, not too much over, as long as the area is worth it.

I've found a few apartments in the Temple Terrace area. Does anyone have any comments on what type of community this is? Any current residents?

Annyyy advice/info I can get about anything Tampa Bay/FL as a whole would greatly help my parents and I in finalizing our big move

And I give cyber hugs to those that are super helpful ^.^
Before you pack your boxes, visit first. I have and so have many other people. Some have decided Tampa and its surrounding towns are not for them and maybe another part of Florida is. Others have decided Florida in general is not for them. And yet still others have decided that Tampa is where they should make their new home.

But, in all of those scenarios, that decision was not and SHOULD NOT be made without visiting at least twice first, if not more.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
$1000 will not have you in a "great" area. There are nice apartments in various areas, however those are indeed apartments, so noise, and annoying neighbors are there as well. Lots of these apartments experience car burglaries on regular basis too. If your parents are used to their surroundings, and have lived there their whole lives, uprooting them may not be good for them.

Temple Terrace is surrounded by Riff Raff...I am sure that is where your budget may fit, but I would not move somewhere as a "downgrade" to my current situation as a general rule.

I would also not move anywhere without several visits to see "where exactly am I going"...especially when you have no family here at all. Where's work? that can be a bigger problem considering traffic and how long you'll be communing. In Florida generally it's a good idea to live close to work because there is no public transit here.

If you understand there is more to life than Queens, then spend your youth getting an education and traveling around more, see the world, and not move to Tampa and be stuck in a not so great area.
Your input was both helpful and scary, nontheless, appreciated.

Car burglaries? I've been reading a lot of reviews on different places and I have noticed car burglaries to be a thing..should I be looking at a different town altogether for our budget?
Oh, and we've all been overdue on this uproot, my parents are tired of NY for a lot of different reasons. I think this last winter we had sealed the deal for them lol.

We'll be driving down our cars so as long as work and home are no more than 30-40 minutes away, we're okay. I can find work in any hospital/medical office/lab (e.g. LabCorp, Quest Diagnostics), and my parents Taxi & Limousine and Home and home health aide care.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post

Temple Terrace is one of three established cities in Hillsborough County. To the east is Thonotosassa, a tiny town with almost nothing going on, to the north is the same and south is close to Downtown Tampa. To the west would be USF and Busch Gardens. Neither of which would I consider a terrible area.

Before taking advice on this forum, I suggest looking up a poster's other posts to see if they've said anything positive about any other parts of a city. When it comes to some posters, they've either never been to Tampa, or they don't let facts get in the way of a good story.
I'll definitely look around some more on this site and see if I can find helpful info, thanks. I'll also do some research on the USF and Busch Gardens areas. I've been trying to get first-hand advice from actual residents but I've gotten a world of different responses. Guess it's just a matter of what it'll be like for us.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:54 AM

PDF: sorry >.< I thought I had chosen a darker shade, oops.

Getting_there: We'll definitely be visiting in June, but I wanted to get as clear as a picture as possible on which areas to avoid/which areas to concentrate on in terms of apt hunting, so that we're not running around aimlessly during our visit. Our visit will be limited to probably only a weekend, but hopefully we'll be able to visit more than just once before it's time to pack up and go.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:51 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,149,298 times
Where is your - or someone's work - office - job in Florida?

Old 05-04-2015, 06:09 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,579,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Where is your - or someone's work - office - job in Florida?
Look in New Tampa...Or, first choose a work place then we can better tell u what's around it that's livable.
Per my understanding "Queens" is a very community like place, I have friends that live there, so that would be hard to find here...just keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay