U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,476 times

Advertisements

3 kids (10,5,3) second try moving to Tampa. First time (2013) settled on a new build in Grand Hampton but now seeing that New Tampa school ratings are patchy especially middle and high. Looks like that Lutz and FHR have the best schools from elementary thru high school. I read a lot on both Lutz (Cheval) and FHR on this forum and on the internet but trying to get some local opinions and possibly other options that would be comparable. One other question I have is around the commute. While FHR is further away distance wise both commutes (to I-75 and BBD) come out to be around 35 minutes but again seeking some local opinions as you can never really rely on a what Google maps (and others) come up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 10:13 AM

6,421 posts, read 5,323,008 times
It will be a long drive with plenty of clogged roads full of traffic.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:59 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
2,118 posts, read 2,382,252 times
The commute from FHR to BBD up I-75 will be decent, since you're going against traffic. I would say depending on where you're going on BBD it will be around 40 minutes, give or take five. Southbound I-75 is nasty as heck, but northbound isn't bad at all. Right now there is construction that does make it a bit of a headache, but when they're done in a year or so it will be quite nice.

Depending on the time it shouldn't be bad at all from FHR, and the have the best schools by far. And that's coming from someone who used to work in their schools....

RM

Old 05-04-2015, 05:25 AM

191 posts, read 150,819 times
We live very close to Cheval. The commute from there would be all all local roads with lights. On a Saturday, I can get to the BJ's at I-75/BBD in about 20 minutes or so. The one intersection that I would have concern about is Bearrs and BBD during the AM and PM commute. I would say 30 to 40 minutes depending on when you leave is a reasonable estimate.

If you are considering Cheval, you may want to consider Stonebrier. It is newer, less expensive and has more kids your children's age. I have met several people in our community that have moved from Cheval and like it better. You get the same schools as Cheval. One issue with the schools is the school buses. Unless you live close to the gates, you will have to pick up and drop off your kids at the bus stop. The buses do not come into the gates communities.

You might also consider Villa Rosa, which is across the street from Cheval on Lutz Lake Fern.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:47 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,193,806 times
I wouldnt take bears if going from cheval, id head up to 54 and take that to I75 (and get off on the BBD exit) depending.. far less traffic on 54 where you can go 50-60mbps and 70+ on i75 vs the stop and go of bears

I would agree with stonebriar, same schools as cheval but cheaper and a ton of kids. We just moved out of there last year and can say with certain, there are literally bus loads of kids in each subdivision.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:22 AM

4,589 posts, read 3,724,363 times
The problem with those schools is that they are overcrowded as hell now.

Cheval is full of fees, you pay $2k+ in CDDs and the golf course is in foreclosure! Not many kids either since most kids there were of the people who moved there when it was build, so they're all grown up now, and the general feel is very snotty. We almost moved there, but changed our minds upon visiting a few times. They have cops there policing the stop signs! We have a few friends who used to live there and just moved out recently because they couldn't take it anymore. Apparently they have rovers driving around, but a lot of burglaries too. Not sure how that makes any sense in a gated place with so many fees!

I agree with RM here, going north on 75 from FHR at rush hour is far better than be stuck on city roads with a million lights and school zones.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:17 AM

2,175 posts, read 979,617 times
Cheval is very nice. I did visit Fish Hawk Ranch during my search. But BBD commute from Cheval is not bad. Yes you will hit lights but still should take you around 20 to 30 minutes. I bought in Long Lake Ranch. You can spit and you are in Stonebrier. But its Pasco county taxes. If I had kids like you do then yes I would have looked at Stonbrier. I always see kids waiting for the bus! Seems very nice there. Good luck in your search.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:43 PM

3,905 posts, read 9,354,060 times
As a resident of the area (not Cheval, though) for over 30 years, the best route is County Line Road east to Bruce B Downs and go south. I can drive it in under 30 minutes during various times of day and I live south of Van Dyke Road.

I personally would not live in Lithia if I worked in New Tampa. Conceptually it sounds good with the reverse commute and all, but it only takes one accident or bad weather to bring I-75 to a crawl. And I-75 realistically is your only highway choice. If you live in Lutz and work in New Tampa, there are several east/west roads.

Cheval East has no CDD.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 05-04-2015 at 01:06 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,868 times
Cheval West is one of the upscale gated community with golf and country club. It has a 25-meter pool, a tennis center, a sauna, fitness center etc...
Cheval East is a guard-gated country club community which offer private and a separate public golf course, tennis courts, a tennis pro shop, clubhouses and restaurants, club pool, community restaurants, and a children's playground with equipment.
The School system is good.
New Tampa - Wesley Chapel area is growing like next downtown. New Construction homes, Outlet Malls, Costco and other business are opening in that area. Schools are good.
BuyersFlorida.com

Last edited by LiveInTampa; 05-04-2015 at 06:43 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,476 times
Thank you all for your replies - much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay