Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 01:23 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj2005 View Post
Hello! My husband and I are possibly moving to Fl. He recently got a job offer for us to relocate. His job is based in Lakeland so my question is where are safe places to live? Low crime areas. He's ok with having a drive to work because his job actually requires him to travel all over the state so we don't have to be right in Lakeland. I've heard Plant City, Bartow and Brandon are good places. I'd like to make a list of areas to visit before we move. We don't have kids but we do have dogs and a horse so I'd also like to know of good stables near trails if anyone has advice on that too. We like the small town feel but close enough to drive to the city or beach. Thank you in advance!!! Any advice is greatly appreciated ��

redfin and Zillow and this site City data offer you all the crime stats for any zip or city you like.

onboardnavigator will give you the full heads up and you can do head to head comps too....

Much of FL has staggeringly high crime rates, the people there must think it is normal.. but 10 or 20 times the chance to get murdered , robbed or raped sounds pretty bad to me.

33706 and 33708 came out about average for the USA but low crime for FL... they could be a baseline for you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 08:04 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,018,629 times
Lakeland to Dunedin will be a good hour and a half commute one-way, especially having to go all the way through Hillsborough County with all our sucky traffic. Then you're looking at U. S. 19 / State Road 580 area which can be pretty bad too.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:36 PM

219 posts, read 377,370 times
Quote:
Hello! My husband and I are possibly moving to Fl. He recently got a job offer for us to relocate. His job is based in Lakeland so my question is where are safe places to live? Low crime areas. He's ok with having a drive to work because his job actually requires him to travel all over the state so we don't have to be right in Lakeland. I've heard Plant City, Bartow and Brandon are good places. I'd like to make a list of areas to visit before we move. We don't have kids but we do have dogs and a horse so I'd also like to know of good stables near trails if anyone has advice on that too. We like the small town feel but close enough to drive to the city or beach. Thank you in advance!!! Any advice is greatly appreciated 😊
Look at Winter Haven. An older town, that is revitalizing their down town. Close to I-4 and close to Lakeland. The addition of Legoland has really made an impact on that area.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:01 PM

6 posts, read 11,231 times
Thank you all! Do those that live in Floida feel like the crime in general is bad? That worries me. Evilcart said there's a 10-20 times more chance of getting murdered, raped or robbed. That sounds really scary! My fiancé has family mostly in Georgia but some are in Florida and I have never heard them talk about th crime being a problem. I'd like to hear from locals on how you feel about it, do you feel safe or do you feel like it's an on going problem and you are always on alert? I just don't want to put myself or husband in a bad situation. I know FL is a huge state and I'm sure there are places worse then others. I just want to get more opinions avout this.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:29 PM

473 posts, read 543,783 times
First pieces of advice is don't believe everything people say on these forums.

Many are on these sites just to scare you and to spew their negativity.

Do some thorough research into any area you might be interested in.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:17 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
First pieces of advice is don't believe everything people say on these forums.

Many are on these sites just to scare you and to spew their negativity.

Do some thorough research into any area you might be interested in.
Couldn't have said better myself.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:58 AM

Yes I'm sure that's very true! living in Ohio is probably similar, we have areas that we know are bad and to avoid them. I live in a great area, low crime but 5 minutes down the road it turns into a rough area I hate even driving through there but that's just a example I'm sure no matter where you go there are bad areas that should be avoided.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:36 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Thank you all! Do those that live in Floida feel like the crime in general is bad? That worries me. Evilcart said there's a 10-20 times more chance of getting murdered, raped or robbed. That sounds really scary! My fiancé has family mostly in Georgia but some are in Florida and I have never heard them talk about th crime being a problem. I'd like to hear from locals on how you feel about it, do you feel safe or do you feel like it's an on going problem and you are always on alert? I just don't want to put myself or husband in a bad situation. I know FL is a huge state and I'm sure there are places worse then others. I just want to get more opinions avout this.

I strongly suggest you look at the stats for the cities and zip codes. Much of tampa is at least 2-10 times more likely to be murdered than my home town of 80,000 people.

overall FL has higher crime than average. The people who dispute this are simply ignoring the data provided by FL itself!

I lived in Orlando for 4 years, so I have some idea what I am talking about....

But the real info comes from places like this site. it has exactly what you are looking for

Keep in mind that going from a 1 in 100,000 chance of being shot to a 10 in 100,000 chance is not as big a deal as it sounds, in both cases it is very unlikely you will be shot..

but as I say all the data is there for anyone to either prove or disprove my 10 time more likely stuff....

Old 05-13-2015, 11:03 AM

I will definitely look in to the stats for each place we consider moving to. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay