Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Decade Is The Best To Buy A Home From?
1950's 10 27.78%
1960's 2 5.56%
1970's 4 11.11%
1980's 3 8.33%
1990's 6 16.67%
2000's 2 5.56%
2010's 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:17 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,803,075 times

Advertisements

I am on the edge here... I wouldn't consider anything from 2000-2010 for sure because I know how everyone was building during that time frame. I am not a big fan of old homes either - low ceilings and small windows don' attract me much. I think the safest bet would be 1980-1995 house assuming it's in good shape and you are ready to spend $$ on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 07:28 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I am on the edge here... I wouldn't consider anything from 2000-2010 for sure because I know how everyone was building during that time frame. I am not a big fan of old homes either - low ceilings and small windows don' attract me much. I think the safest bet would be 1980-1995 house assuming it's in good shape and you are ready to spend $$ on it.
I am married to an architect - most of those homes built in the 1980s I wouldn't have if you gave it to me. I have been in MANY that were almost shockingly shoddily built......

Old 05-12-2015, 07:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I know my 2009 home is more energy efficient than anything built over the last several decades. My energy bill rarely goes over $100, even during the hottest part of the year. I attribute this to the insulation, windows, tile roof - you get what you pay for. A $100k house in a cookie cutter neighborhood isn't the same as homes from higher rent districts. Making blanket statements over the quality of all homes doesn't make much sense. Doesn't it depend on builder, price of the home, etc etc?

Last edited by BucFan; 05-12-2015 at 08:35 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 07:51 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am married to an architect - most of those homes built in the 1980s I wouldn't have if you gave it to me. I have been in MANY that were almost shockingly shoddily built......
By now most of the major problems would have been exposed. Even if the house was built well, the lack of maintenance by most homeowners will be obvious at this stage as well. If you walk into a house of 25+ yrs and see mostly original builder grade stuff and a front yard with all original landscaping and dirt/weeds where grass use to be. Chances are they did nothing to maintain their home. That would be a red flag in my book. I have seen homes 30+ yrs with the remains of the builder grade paint still showing.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:14 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,735 times
We do not live in FL, but are expecting to move to the Sarasota area in about a year. We are in an ongoing debate that matches the topic of this thread.

The older homes may be more solidly built, in general (tho the quality and price of the newer home is certainly a factor) and the architectural style, larger lot, and mature vegetation of an older home may be more attractive than that of a newer tract home; but I am concerned that older homes in Florida are more likely to have suffered mold or termite damage, and am not so sure that these things are obvious to a buyer.

Also, while I think that hurricane threats in the area are probably overstated by non-Floridians, I'd still be concerned about how an older roof is attached. Just because it hasn't been blown off yet doesn't mean it isn't going to happen in the future.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:37 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,093 times
2015 new construction building is stronger by complying with new hurricane building code. Energy efficiency requirements, along with better more thorough construction inspection, all lead to fact that new houses being built right now are the best.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
2015 new construction building is stronger by complying with new hurricane building code. Energy efficiency requirements, along with better more thorough construction inspection, all lead to fact that new houses being built right now are the best.
hey, somebody who agrees with me on CDF!

Old 05-14-2015, 05:49 PM

792 posts, read 2,291,372 times
All it would take is one medium to large hurricane to see which types of homes withstand the storm the best.

I personally think that it would be very obvious that modern construction homes, built to modern codes would fare the best.

The reason building codes are updated and changed is for safety. To think a 1940's home would fare better than a 2015 home is ludicrous. They may have better quality components, but the "key" is how those components are assembled.

A prime example would be roof trusses. Back in the old days, all those were hand made, on site. Nothing wrong with that, but they didn't have the modern metal hangers that simply hold everything together better than the old hammer and nails method. Its not a slam on anybodies workmanship, it's just that they have better stuff nowadays. Simple as that.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:03 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,634 times
I reckon anytime prior to the 1950s were best quality wise. There was a saying in the fifties about how all of the houses during the time were made out of ticky tacky (meaning cheap and low quality). Housing past WWII were usually built pretty quickly in response to the suburbanization.

On the other hand, I would think that homes built past 2005 are better in terms of energy efficiency, different inspection guidelines and hurricane durability. Not to mention they're newer. However I do know that there was a problem with homes built during the housing boom having Chinese drywall, but this seemed to be secluded to cookie cutter subdivisions.

Style wise, housing from the Victorian era to the 1960s were the best looking and then from the mid 2000s and on.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:52 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,485 times
All your modern day homes on paper are far superior that goes with out saying. Problem we have is the lack of tradesmen. Prior to 1995 the men building the houses were old local boys and during the winter local transplants filling in as well. Once the housing boom started builders picked up anyone that would "say" they could do the job. As the illegals flooded the construction sites quantity was more important then quality. Manufactures can create great products but most have no control over the installation of said products. If not installed properly they will fail over time. Its like buying a nice Kobe steak and burning it on the grill. It always come down to the subs who build your house and the supervisors on the job site inspecting it along the way. You can have two exact houses being built side by side, two different crews doing the work. Over time one of the houses may experience problems that the other house does not. I saw that happen way too often.

Last edited by mrviking; 05-15-2015 at 08:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: