U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-18-2008, 08:41 PM

57 posts, read 120,305 times
Default KB Homes in Tampa area?

I know this isn't the place for speaking ill of builders. But I have done my own research by googling "KB Home complaints" and have found quite a bit of negative feedback from buyers. All of them were from Texas and Orlando. (Orlando the complaints were about the homesites being built on a previous bombing range, so there were active bombs all around the neighborhood. Blame doesn't necessarily fall to KB Homes because they were the third party to take over the land but whatever. It's still a mess.)

Anyway, I've been house hunting for months now and everything looks the same!!! It's all stucco with the same exterior. They usually have great insides but ugh, I want something that doesn't look like the other 300 houses in my neighborhood.

A KB neighborhood in Riverview has exactly what I want! They have a great look to them on the outside. The prices are great. I have noticed that the drawback is they put everything in very basic. Whereas a lot of builders will put in a standard tile in the wet areas, KB uses vinyl. That's not a huge deal because we'll just upgrade most everything because we love the outside of the house and I like the floorplan. But there were a lot of structural complaints listed online and I'm terrified of spending over $300K on a house for it to be a lemon.

Does anyone have ANY experience with KB Homes in the Tampa Bay area? If you have something highly negative to say, you can email it to camisis@hotmail.com
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-18-2008, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,717 times
Default Kb

I know someone that purchased a KB Home. She bought a 3500 sqr feet home and added over 100,000 in upgrades (Including an oversized enclosed pool on conservation). Her contract was made mid 2007 for close to $400,000. During her process, she checked every bit of their work to make certain they built it correctly. Well, long story short. When it came to the appraisal for the bank, it appraise at about $60,000 less than what she contracted to pay. KB expected her to pay the difference because though the appraisal came in at that amount (the bank would not give that amount either), KB felt that she needed to pay separately for the upgrades and told her she would loose her $10,000 plus deposite if she backed out. She, of course, backed out - she preferred to loose $10,000 verses overpaying $60,000. Well, long story short. KB put her house up in the market as an inventory home the following week that she backed out of the contract and placed the home for $308,000. YES, $308,000. KB called her up repeatedly the week after they put it up for inventory and she renegociated it down a couple of thousand more , they gave it her along with her full deposit, gave her gutters, and she closed within a week (All her paper bank paper work had been done prior).

The economy is not getting better and honestly being a person that follows the real estate market **** I would wait til Summer and/or end of year --- They will be giving away those houses like hot cakes!

Unread 01-19-2008, 05:34 AM

14,443 posts, read 17,748,559 times
I have good and bad experiences with them. I own 1 KB Home which had at the final walk through the least things they had to redo and Westfield was the worst of all the homes I bought. Still after closing the KB home remained having no problems. I also read the websites and was very shocked what had happened to many people. Later I signed a new contract with KB Homes because I wanted to move to home with more upgrades. That home was build in 2006/2007 and was build like that time. You could see the market was getting worse. I noticed so many things that we wrong that weren't easy to fix and I backed out after the final walk through. Also because of the market and finally Kb homes didn't wanted to pay back the deposit which wasn't a very high amount. We kept writing them and after the Tampa Manager was fired the new manager gave us half of the deposit back. We had a very good experience with the sales people but not with the way they are trying to close whatever it takes. If i didn't know and just took everything as "advise" I would have gone into foreclosure faster as I could have done....
I reported this mortgage company to the BBB. This wasn't KB homes normal mortgage company. Kb Homes build great houses with great living space.

Unread 01-19-2008, 11:02 AM

77 posts, read 148,370 times
I have looked at the same homes and really liked the look of them. I also have read some of the complaints on the company and have questions. The best advice I can give you is ask the people that live in the neighborhood. That will give you a good idea. I was also in the neighborhood during the night and it seemed fine, safe and friendly. The only drawback of the area is the high school and middle school are right down the street. Otherwise it seems like a smart buy. Can't beat the price and they just included their old home modles which are even cheaper. But I agree with the other post and wait til the summer, things will get better for buyers. Good luck and please post anything you find out about the area.

Unread 01-19-2008, 05:55 PM

In my neighborhood we have only happy KB home home owners. Luckily and I guess most problems with this builder are in other states. But still I'm happy I didn't move to the Watergrass home because that wasn't build very good. They rushed it so much because the market was going down and that showed. The people who bought the home with a large discount can be happy with the price but I hope they won't get all the problems, because if I can see with my eyes (I have no experience building a home) that windows are not put in the right way and the window shelfs are not in as they should and I had a huge paper with things that should have been taken care off and they didn't, that can course issues in the future and the discount doesn't matter anymore.

Unread 01-19-2008, 08:54 PM

Default Thank you so much!

I really appreciate everyone who took the time to reply. I'm glad that most of the experiences were good ones with KB Homes.

Although that's scary about the appraisal. I wonder if there's a way to avoid that somehow. I think we're going to hire an inspector to check things out at every point, even if we don't go with KB homes.

So you guys are saying to wait until the summer ... I thought things were pretty rock bottom now, you think they'll continue to drop prices? Would workmanship also go down? That seems to be a common belief.

Thank you again!

Unread 01-20-2008, 06:53 AM

13 posts, read 27,864 times
I am just about to go into contract with KB in St. Augustine, and I just thought I'd check out some posts on this website. Was surprised to see some KB feedback. I'm very frightened as I'm divorced and disabled and can't afford any problems. I'm considering the smallest house (1336) in a lovely neighborhood. Haven't been to their design studio yet, but I'll try to keep it low ($$$$). If I go into contract this month (January), does anyone know when I can move in? KB told me July, but who knows! They're not committing themselves and I have to deal with my son starting a new school in a strange place, so I hope they're being honest with me. I hope I'm making the right decision and that I'm one of their happy customers. I'd be too scared to wait to purchase because the prices & rates are so low now, and the government is trying to make things better.

Unread 01-20-2008, 07:16 AM

They will try to close on the home a.s.a.p. since there are hardly any houses going to be build.
First I would advise you to go and check out the design studio, since KB Homes is building very nice sizes homes with hardly any upgrades and that is where they make the most money since everything is pretty expensive in the design studio. You might consider doing just the basic things and do the rest later so it will be cheaper and not going to be count towards your taxes. Just take carpet and maybe later a different flooring with a much cheaper company, etc.

Unread 01-20-2008, 07:46 AM

People gave me the advice of hiring a private inspector and I'm going to do that. I've looked and they seem to be under $1000 (often well under, more like $300, but I'm just trying to give you the highest figure so you won't be surprised.) It definitely seems worth the money.

What I'm curious about, is how many people use the private, ASHI certified inspectors, but still have major, structural problems? Anyone have a clue?

Unread 01-20-2008, 09:01 AM

13 posts, read 27,864 times
Thanks for your suggestion & reply. I did already go to the Design Studio (just to check it out), and they printed out for me the full 50+ page list of all the upgrades. Yes, I'll start out with basics & necessities (like water heater, etc.) and then decide what I can live with or without. As it is, I was planning on doing as little as possible (although tempting). I appreciate the postings with suggestions such as hiring an inspector & going with an inventory home. I'll check into that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay