Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:09 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,378,347 times

Advertisements

Moved to Tampa Forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 08:34 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,063,126 times
I live and work in Pinellas I find most people to be welcoming (as they were when I relocated here from Europe) and helpful. There are plenty of scammers here though - sunshine seems to bring 'em in. Generally a very safe environment, close to beaches which is nice, whereas on Tampa side of bridges you need to drive to get to them quite a way and usually traffic is awful on weekend days when you want to be there! There are different flavors to different areas, arty Dunedin, cultural St Petersburg downtown, younger and more vibrant (well getting there) Harbor Island/Channelside/Soho in Tampa, family friendly is all over in different areas, Seminole/Palm Harbor/East Lake/Carrollwood
Hope it all works out for you

Old 05-18-2015, 10:48 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I'm just as friendly as the next guy, ppl in FL arent overwhelmingly friendly. I lived in Asheville for 8 yrs which is VERY welcoming and fit in like I should. Here, the lack of sense of community, here one minute gone the next, doesnt give many a reason to be neighborly. Too much turnover, heavy transplant state, most transient state. There could be worse things, but what I'm saying is true.
I smile and nod at people the gas pump and they're so afraid that I'm going to rob them, rape them, or abduct their kids (I guess).....for some reason they seem not to interact as if they're on the subway between the Bronx and Queens.......come to think of if, maybe that's the problem - they're coming from areas where interacting with the guy next to you is frowned upon (NYC).

Old 05-18-2015, 11:47 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,168,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I smile and nod at people the gas pump and they're so afraid that I'm going to rob them, rape them, or abduct their kids (I guess).....for some reason they seem not to interact as if they're on the subway between the Bronx and Queens.......come to think of if, maybe that's the problem - they're coming from areas where interacting with the guy next to you is frowned upon (NYC).
As it is here in north Georgia, most native Floridians are friendly.

Last edited by Sunscape; 05-18-2015 at 12:47 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 12:00 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj0605 View Post
My boyfriend and I are looking to move out of Delaware. He is getting out of the Air Force and we are offered one free move anywhere in the country.

He wants Cali, but I want Florida.

Tampa, FL looks awesome! If we move there, we will not know anyone! We are a young couple and I want to know what the scene is like there? Are the people young? Are they fun? Easy to get along with?
Just like most places. People are people.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:38 PM

335 posts, read 404,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Your response made me laugh. We relocated from the Midwest where it was pretty common for new neighbors to be welcomed with baked goods and taken into the fold. When we got here I continued that tradition when we had new neighbors move in. The newest neighbors moved across the street from us and I took over homemade brownies and welcomed them to the neighborhood. The reception was less than I hoped for. It's now obvious to me that they have no desire to interact with anyone in the neighborhood and seldom come out of the house. I sure do miss the friendly, funny, engaging neighbors/friends who kept their property immaculate, but moved.
I would appreciate your brownies...wish you bring them over to my place here

Old 05-18-2015, 06:13 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,835,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
As it is here in north Georgia, most native Floridians are friendly.

Thank you

Old 05-18-2015, 08:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
I have friends who lived in N Georgia who always felt like outsiders because they weren't native. Guess same goes for transplants here.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:30 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,835,384 times
Quote:
I have friends who lived in N Georgia who always felt like outsiders because they weren't native. Guess same goes for transplants here.

In FL, natives like me ARE the outsiders.

In Northern GA, it just depends on what part. If its a small, rural community, I can see what your friends mean. But if they live in places like Alpharetta, Roswell, John's Creek, etc... there are sooo many transplants there, I'd be surprised if they felt "like an outsider."

Old 05-18-2015, 10:34 PM

7,727 posts, read 6,284,090 times
Quote:

It doesn't help if you speak Brooklynese or some other dialect that sounds strange to their ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay