Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:04 AM

17 posts, read 66,120 times

Advertisements

We are currently relocating to the Tampa area from Jupiter, FL. In 2005 we moved from Richmond, VA to Jupiter, so I definitely know your issues with Richmond. We lived in the Near West End and hated it. The street was beautiful, but the people are just as you described - fortunately we were only there a year. Anyway, we too loved SE Florida. I don't know Ft. Lauderdale well, but if you know Jupiter I can compare what we have seen over here to there. The beaches (St. Pete up to Redington - I have not seen the Clearwater beaches yet, so I can't comment on them) are very different from the West Palm area. They remind me of Panama City or Daytona in the way they are built up with condos, houses, hotels, retail...etc on every inch of land. The only area we saw that we liked in the St. Pete area is the Old NE and Snell Isle area. That area seems close to the museums, shopping and events you might be interested in. The houses are old though, similar to Richmond. And new construction over here is just awful - very cheap and many surprisingly are framed, not block. Real desirable areas are few and far between over here, so while the area is lower cost of living than SE Florida we have found home prices to be crazy high for what you get. Our well built house, 2 minutes from a beautiful beach in a great neighborhood in Jupiter is worth less per sf than what most people are asking for fixer uppers in ok areas nowhere near the beach here. Sellers are still expecting peak prices in a time when prices are down 30-40%. Definitely visit before getting too excited about this area - it is not probably not what you have imagined in your head. I would actually love if someone could post an area for us to look at. We have explored South Tampa, St. Pete, Westchase, and New Tampa and have been fairly unimpressed thus far aside from small pockets of S. Tampa and Old NE St. Pete/Snell Isle. FYI - stay clear of Shore Acres (bad about flooding).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 08:15 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunKrist View Post
It sounds like you will like St. Petersburg a lot. It's very diverse culturally. People from all over the country and world live here. Nightlife is decent (for those who are into that). Very artsy, as well. More family-friendly than a lot of other cities near Tampa Bay, though. Many historic areas with older homes. I was born and raised here. The downtown area has improved greatly in the past 10 years, if you don't mind the condominiums they're putting up. Much more walkable, as I think someone else mentioned, than Tampa or Clearwater. I feel much safer.
That's interesting that you'd rate it as 'more family-friendly' than the rest of Tampa Bay. I'm not agreeing/disagreeing, just didn't realize it had that feel as well, in addition to the art scene.

Also, on this thread, a few have referred to it as diverse culturally. Just curious, how so? (It appears very black and white statistically, but maybe something intangeable beyond that)...

Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 AM

633 posts, read 1,011,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisnSoFL View Post
Thanks to those who have posted so far... St Pete is just sounding more and more desireable...I look forward to visting there very soon!

To Eastern Roamer- There are so many reasons why I dislike Richmond. I could go on forever. There is a long thread by "Patsfan" in the Richmond forum. He is amazing...he has literally said throughout his posts everything that I dislike about the place. If you would like to check out the thread, here is the link: richmond..not on my mind Also, here is a post from someone who recently moved to Richmond from south FL:
First Week in Richmond

Richmond is just so different. The people are so different. Very conservative, not very friendly at all. Very cliquish- it is like so many of them have never moved from the area so they stay with who they know and do not warmly welcome strangers into their circle. I usually can make friends pretty easily, but not here. I joined a women's group in the area to meet others and the group is made up of women experiencing the same thing as I am...and none of them are from Richmond!

Richmond is not a very progressive city and there is very little to do! If you are a history/Civil War buff then you may be happy. It is just so different from south FL, and what it sounds like, St Pete. I just cannot make this place my home no matter how hard I try. But you never know...maybe you will like it.
I've been to Richmond many times, and have friends there. It is a matter of taste - Just like anything! Richmond is very "old south" in many ways and that does have a certain charm for some. Conservative, certainly. Again... not for everyone. I would not say unfriendly, but it does take a while to get to know people and warm up, etc. Sometimes it is easier to "fit it" where everyone else is from somewhere else...

On the pluses of Richmond, you are very close to some amazing historical things, the Blue Ridge, not far from Charlotttesville, Virginia Beach and the Chesapeake Bay. the fan district is really cool & fun.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:05 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,548 times
Richmond's greatest asset is its proximity to Charlottesville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay