Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:15 PM

55 posts, read 183,101 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the West Palm-Ft. Lauderdale area for 8 years. I have been living in the Richmond, VA area (due to job) for the past 2 years and I hate it here. Husband and I plan on moving back to FL as soon as we can.

South Florida, while our first love, seems too pricey and overcrowded now. I would like to check out the St. Petersburg area. We are in our 30s, no kids yet. Seems like there is a lot to do in St. Pete. How similar is St. Pete compared to SE FL? What is diversity and race relations like in comparison? We enjoy different cultures (I am multiethnic and like many races, not just black/white like here in Richmond). Would you say that it is similar in things to do (such as cultural activities, museums, parks, beach activities, nightlife, dancing, sporting events, etc.)?

Thanks!

Last edited by MisnSoFL; 01-19-2008 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 03:26 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,190 times
From my observations, it's a bit more walkable in some parts that SE FL. A lot of the housing is old, and some areas are poorly lit. Much (or most?) of the black community seems to be south of Central Ave., north of that is mainly white with some Asians and other minorities as well. Tampa seems more diverse overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisnSoFL View Post
I have lived in the West Palm-Ft. Lauderdale area for 8 years. I have been living in the Richmond, VA area (due to job) for the past 2 years and I hate it here. Husband and I plan on moving back to FL as soon as we can.

South Florida, while our first love, seems too pricey and overcrowded now. I would like to check out the St. Petersburg area. We are in our 30s, no kids yet. Seems like there is a lot to do in St. Pete. How similar is St. Pete compared to SE FL? What is diversity and race relations like in comparison? We enjoy different cultures. Would you say that it is similar in things to do (such as cultural activities, museums, parks, beach activities, nightlife, sporting events, etc.)?

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2008, 06:31 AM

367 posts, read 1,686,988 times
St Pete is a lovely place to live, its perfect for museums, new ones being built too, including one for that famous glass artist, whose name escapes me just now
I love the area, it's got waterfronts, parks, farmers markets, open gallery nights, first friday events, concerts and shakespeare in the park events, antiques alleys, so much
Plus gracious southern style homes in the Old North east, all of which is walkable to downtown under shady walkways.
I'd go for it if you have the choice and if you have the $$s to buy in those two last places, then you can afford St Pete. Let me know if I can help.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:46 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times
I live in St. Pete now. I like it much more than Tampa and the Tampa Bay area is less seasonal than SE Florida. Sure, we have snow-birds too, but more people live here year-round the Ft. Laudeeda and Miami.

I was actually considering moving to Richmond (among other ideas). Old NE St. Pete looks much like The Fan district there but is more diverse. 30 something with no kids... you'll fit right in, there's plenty of stuff to do. Why do you dislike Richmond so much?

Old 01-23-2008, 05:59 PM

55 posts, read 183,101 times
Thanks to those who have posted so far... St Pete is just sounding more and more desireable...I look forward to visting there very soon!

To Eastern Roamer- There are so many reasons why I dislike Richmond. I could go on forever. There is a long thread by "Patsfan" in the Richmond forum. He is amazing...he has literally said throughout his posts everything that I dislike about the place. If you would like to check out the thread, here is the link: richmond..not on my mind Also, here is a post from someone who recently moved to Richmond from south FL:
First Week in Richmond

Richmond is just so different. The people are so different. Very conservative, not very friendly at all. Very cliquish- it is like so many of them have never moved from the area so they stay with who they know and do not warmly welcome strangers into their circle. I usually can make friends pretty easily, but not here. I joined a women's group in the area to meet others and the group is made up of women experiencing the same thing as I am...and none of them are from Richmond!

Richmond is not a very progressive city and there is very little to do! If you are a history/Civil War buff then you may be happy. It is just so different from south FL, and what it sounds like, St Pete. I just cannot make this place my home no matter how hard I try. But you never know...maybe you will like it.

Last edited by MisnSoFL; 01-23-2008 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 06:10 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
St Pete is a very nice city, lots to do, walkable downtown, beaches and barrier islands close by, what more can you ask for.

And you even have Tampa close by for a double whammy of things to do.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:12 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,190 times
for what reasons, if you don't mind my asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I live in St. Pete now. I like it much more than Tampa

Old 01-23-2008, 06:27 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,348 times
It sounds like you will like St. Petersburg a lot. It's very diverse culturally. People from all over the country and world live here. Nightlife is decent (for those who are into that). Very artsy, as well. More family-friendly than a lot of other cities near Tampa Bay, though. Many historic areas with older homes. I was born and raised here. The downtown area has improved greatly in the past 10 years, if you don't mind the condominiums they're putting up. Much more walkable, as I think someone else mentioned, than Tampa or Clearwater. I feel much safer.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,975 times
I am currently living in Wilmington North Carolina and I cannot stand it here. I relocated from Jupiter Florida 2 years ago next month and it has been the worst move of my entire life. I have been reserching the Tampa St. Pete area and it appears very livable. If anyone wants to advise I would like to hear your remarks.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:07 AM

8 posts, read 27,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisnSoFL View Post

South Florida, while our first love, seems too pricey and overcrowded now. I would like to check out the St. Petersburg area. We are in our 30s, no kids yet. Seems like there is a lot to do in St. Pete. How similar is St. Pete compared to SE FL? What is diversity and race relations like in comparison? We enjoy different cultures (I am multiethnic and like many races, not just black/white like here in Richmond). Would you say that it is similar in things to do (such as cultural activities, museums, parks, beach activities, nightlife, dancing, sporting events, etc.)?

Thanks!
HI . I think you will love St. Petersburg. more laid back, plenty to offer
quaint downtown, farmer's market, great beaches, Ft. Desoto,
Rays Baseball, Bayfront Cultural, Dali , the PIer and more.
less traffic and congestion. very multi cultural. we are also renting our townhouse available July 1. very near oriental strip ( good food and shopping). good hospitals nearby.
Moderator cut: add

Evelyn

Last edited by Keeper; 04-25-2009 at 06:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay