Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 05:12 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times

Advertisements

what the hell, live life on the wild side......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 06:32 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
what the hell, live life on the wild side......
Well $250 is not bad. It would be 15 times that much for my house.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:35 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Why bother. I never had flood Ins and i am on the gulf in the worst zone.
Peace of mind. I always carry it, wherever I live. I just like knowing I am covered, as I have seen places flood that never should have.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:29 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Some experts think Tampa is overdue for a major hurricane. What is going to make this disaster even worse is the complacency of many of the residence.

The flip side of years of no hurricanes: Good luck runs out

Old 06-02-2015, 10:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
I see what you did there (locked thread, tagged it onto another thread).

Complacency isn't a problem specific to Tampa only is it? I'm thinking it is a normal response by most cities along the water.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:28 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,331,611 times
No idea why other thread was locked but re:

Not_liking_FL
2,712 posts, read 1,951,534 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor
Anything else you try to make of it is your own imagination, not science.

Uh, no. I was going by the article which is using data from a MIT meteorology professor and The National Hurricane Center. Btw, I can't even tell where Tampa is on your charts.

Read more: Tampa is overdue for a major hurricane

For your trouble reading the chart, just find the Great Lakes and orient yourself by that.

As to my comment of imagination v science. You were using the imagination part of the article which also threw in some science.

I hadn't actually read your article until this last post. But in doing so I see it agrees with what I posted earlier that the odds work as do odds for the lottery...

your cited article from that thread The flip side of years of no hurricanes: Good luck runs out# :
"It may sound like areas like Tampa are "overdue," scientists like Landsea and Emanuel say that's not a good word because the odds of getting hit don't actually change because there were no storms the year before. They are the same year to year."

So if we get hit this year, that is not a function of not having been hit in the past. That is just a function of the odds which are the same every single year after year after year. Saying that your luck has run out is called imagination, not science.

If you don't believe that, then you should spend money on playing the lottery vigorously. Because by your logic, the more times you lose, the better chance you have of winning, when in reality, each time you play, each hurricane season, the odds reset to where they always were.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:03 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
So if we get hit this year, that is not a function of not having been hit in the past. That is just a function of the odds which are the same every single year after year after year. Saying that your luck has run out is called imagination, not science.

If you don't believe that, then you should spend money on playing the lottery vigorously. Because by your logic, the more times you lose, the better chance you have of winning, when in reality, each time you play, each hurricane season, the odds reset to where they always were.
Just so you guys know, the article he's talking about came out in 2013.

Tampa Bay #1 of most vulnerable/overdue hurricane cities - WFLA News Channel 8

Old 06-02-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I see what you did there (locked thread, tagged it onto another thread).
Wow, I can't get anything past your eagle eyes. Nice work, detective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
No idea why other thread was locked but re:

Not_liking_FL
2,712 posts, read 1,951,534 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor
Anything else you try to make of it is your own imagination, not science.

Uh, no. I was going by the article which is using data from a MIT meteorology professor and The National Hurricane Center. Btw, I can't even tell where Tampa is on your charts.

Read more: Tampa is overdue for a major hurricane

For your trouble reading the chart, just find the Great Lakes and orient yourself by that.

As to my comment of imagination v science. You were using the imagination part of the article which also threw in some science.

I hadn't actually read your article until this last post. But in doing so I see it agrees with what I posted earlier that the odds work as do odds for the lottery...

your cited article from that thread The flip side of years of no hurricanes: Good luck runs out# :
"It may sound like areas like Tampa are "overdue," scientists like Landsea and Emanuel say that's not a good word because the odds of getting hit don't actually change because there were no storms the year before. They are the same year to year."

I'm well aware how odds work, and I don't recall saying Tampa's "luck has run out". The title to the article stated that. The article was going by historical data, so going by that I'd say Tampa is overdue. Thanks for the tip on reading the charts you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Just so you guys know, the article he's talking about came out in 2013.

Tampa Bay #1 of most vulnerable/overdue hurricane cities - WFLA News Channel 8
The article I posted came out yesterday, but thanks for posting another article with different experts saying the same thing.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:34 PM

Spring Hillian posted this excellent storm surge map in my thread yesterday before it was locked. I thought moving it over here would be a good idea.

http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Sto...afc059635a82ee

Old 06-02-2015, 03:43 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Spring Hillian posted this excellent storm surge map in my thread yesterday before it was locked. I thought moving it over here would be a good idea.

http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Sto...afc059635a82ee
I love that map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay