Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 991 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I am moving to Tampa soon and would appreciate any advice or helpful tips.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 02:51 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPalmer View Post
Hello All, I am moving to Tampa soon and would appreciate any advice or helpful tips.

Thanks
Useful Tip:
Use the search function before posting a question - most likely someone has asked your identical question in City Data Forum over the last decade.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:02 PM

350 posts, read 333,418 times
WELCOME!!!!! As BucFan said, search this marvelous fountain of advice! If would also help, if you narrowed down some specific questions you have.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:09 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan View Post
useful tip:
Use the search function before posting a question - most likely someone has asked your identical question in city data forum over the last decade.
this^^^^^

Old 06-04-2015, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 861 times
Okay so Im sure you know how to search and be specific, but you asking for general info and advice.. so here is some for ya!
The hillsborough River is beautiful - visit Temple Terrace river Hills park. I saw alligators here, bunnies, snakes, turtles, birds and more on my first visit.
Avoid anything touristy during peak holidays or hours, such as summer months do not go to amusement parks, Memorial day do not go to Fort De Soto and during Spring break stay FAAAAR away from Clearwater beach.
There are some bad neighborhoods, good neighborhoods just like everywhere. Unfortunately affordable housing is in bad neighborhoods unless you are seeking an apartment or condo, or are okay with paying 1500 a month for rent. (I rent a nice average house in temple terrace 4/3 for 1250) but if you want to live near SoHO or Seminole Heights or Bayshore ( the trendy nice neighborhoods) its going to coast you a fortune. Groupon everything, seriously or living social works too.. there is always a deal on something. get a season pass for busch gardens !! I will never get tired of it ! you can get a pass for 15 bucks a month ezpay and buy a 35$ all day dining pass which gives you unlimited food, drinks and two for one beers for the whole day at the park. and even if you dont like roller coasters, you can have a great time because its also a zoo, and a carnival midway ! its three parks in one, I love it! If you are the trendy type, hang out in south tampa, its more expensive, but there are cool shops , restaurants and clubs. Its not up my alley but to each their own.. Ybor is cool, dont let people steer you away from the awesome people watching that can be done there on weekend nights, there are always concerts or shows happening and theres a crazy mix of people around, men in dresses, midgits in leperachaun outfits, latin ladies in mini skirts, rave kids in rainbow glow clothes. If you are a rocker type there is a very cool bar called the reservior bar in Ybor, 2$ PBR and you can smoke in the bars here, so for a drinker who likes to smoke and like the dark, gritty bar with Quentin Tarantino movie decorations , a couple old dartboards and white zombie on the jukebox, its a good time. Theres a great Gay bar scene down there as well, right next tohe pizza place, there are always people milling around out there laughing and making plans.. Ybor is a mix of all walks of life, certainly not just gangster types which some will have you believe. there are too many cops out there for that. Hillsborough ave and Nebraska ave.. now those are the streets where you can see people crusing, smell people smoking, see the streets filled at night. Sulphur Spring area is a bit rough so unless you have a hood side to you, dont get lost in that neigborhood in your prius on a saturday night after getting drunk at the bourgeois pig - anyways maybe some of this is helpful; I just moved here two years ago and when I used to come on these boards and ask advice, it was always so nasty and negative and people told me not to come.. I think they do this because Florida is awesome and they dont want the whole world living here, or else they have been here too long and gotten jaded.. but the weather is great, yeah its hot, but its hotter in Phoenix !, the topography is beautiful, sun -kissed pastures, jungles in the middle of the city, old oaks with spanish moss, palms, beaches with grasses blowing in the wind.. you get the best of it all here.. and the diversity in Tampa is great, its all over the place, a niche for everyone.. you just gotta get here and find yours !

Last edited by Sunscape; 06-05-2015 at 05:42 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 07:25 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Ever consider using paragraphs in your writing?

Old 06-05-2015, 04:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Ever consider using paragraphs in your writing?
Then it wouldnt be the classic example of wall of text
That said, Good info Alice and welcome to the forum

Be nice if the op could give us a bit more info on his/her likes/dislikes/ financial situation,house/apt?age etc as with such a limited query i have no idea what to suggest other than Tampa is hot and humid and has no beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay