Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 17,825 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for our break. We are a young couple (age 34 and 40) trying to make a living in this unforgiving world.
My husband is in school to become a massage therapist. He graduates in March. I know that he will be able to get a better paying job and things will begin to look up but I have this feeling that we are going to loose everything before that happens.
We looked at relocating to the Clearwater area but with our poor credit and little money there is no chance of us getting approved for anything.
I guess I am writing this for some inspirational words from others.....ones who know what it is like to be in this situation....and that maybe there is someone out there that has a big heart and would like to help a nobody have a chance at living a dream come true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 04:44 PM

849 posts, read 3,528,219 times
Default you are on the track

we're in a similar job situation and older. There are few breaks out there and you really are expected to make your own. This area is very unforgiving as are most that have low unemployment. Just read the posts about jobs and careers here. where are you coming from? Have you considered other areas? Do you have kids? What do you do? First thing, get to Consumer Credit Counseling. Start straightening out your credit. Second, if you can work, even if it's cleaning houses, do it. If you don't have kids, try to hang in for the next 2 months. Can you go to separate shelters? It's not forever. Are you in a warm enough area you can camp for a couple of months? Teh apartment situation isn't all bleak. Once he has a good job, all you nee dot do is bring a letter saying he has the job and you'll be approved somewhere, maybe a mobile home park. It won't be great but it's a start and if he's good, he'll be making tons of money in no time. Massage is one of most in demand services around.
I know it's very hard for we women to endure these things. It's in our nature to want a nest but as you said, you're young. What a nice attitude at 40ish. I agree 110%. If there are no kids or you have someplace to leave them, work as much as possible, get the credit fixed and don't spend what ever money you have. You'll need if for the move.

One thing you mustn't do is worry about your stuff. if it's valuable, sell it and if not leave it and hit the thrift shops when you get her eor wherever and start fresh. It is a waste of money to move ordinary, replaceable "stuff."

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane101673 View Post
My husband and I are looking for our break. We are a young couple (age 34 and 40) trying to make a living in this unforgiving world.
My husband is in school to become a massage therapist. He graduates in March. I know that he will be able to get a better paying job and things will begin to look up but I have this feeling that we are going to loose everything before that happens.
We looked at relocating to the Clearwater area but with our poor credit and little money there is no chance of us getting approved for anything.
I guess I am writing this for some inspirational words from others.....ones who know what it is like to be in this situation....and that maybe there is someone out there that has a big heart and would like to help a nobody have a chance at living a dream come true.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:19 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Diane, sorry to hear about your situation. Just know that many of us had rough times when we were first starting out. We lived paycheck to paycheck for many years. WE have never been "borrowers" so debt wasn't a problem, but we did without many things. One of the problems that young people now face is the fact that everybody has everything and they want the same. Credit cards are too available and it can cause so many problems.

Even though things have been better for us for several years now, it's always possible that we may go through the exact same situation in the future. The funny thing is that looking back, it was one of the happiest times of our lives. I know how hard it is to wait when you'd really like to be some place else, but if you can just hang in there until your DH graduates and gets a job and you get several months paychecks, you can still have the option of relocating. I like what Jessiesmom said about working as much as possible for the moment. Take any type of job just to get some income and work a job and a half if necessary. I worked 60 hrs. per week for several years. Luckily, we were allowed to work overtime so I didn't have to juggle two jobs. But nonetheless, it was tiring.

Skip things and do without whatever possible and be sure that rent is the first thing on your list to take care of. Good luck to you.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:06 AM

270 posts, read 796,666 times
Default Best of luck....

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane101673 View Post
I agree with most of what everyone is telling you. Keep your head up and if you work hard enough you'll make your dreams come true it just may take a little longer then you want. I don't however agree with consumer credit couseling services and suggest if you have to much to pay on and really can't afford to pay it all back to look in either a lawyer or if your area has a legal aid office (for low income people who need leagal help) to do that instead. The comercials make fixing your credit sound like a walk in the park but you need to know that, they charge a monthly fee and you are NOT protected! These companys can still come after you! Filing bankrupsy sounds worse but it's not. It actually hurts your credit more to have one of those company's pay your bills for you. I know people who after paying to them for a couple years found some of their bills wern't getting paid every month and ended up being just as bad off as when they started. You would have two options going through the courts and you will be protected. Do what you can for now and remember things can only get better from the bottom. Best of Luck!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:41 AM

849 posts, read 3,528,219 times
Default interesting

I was referring to the non-profit agency. I think they're thru United Way? You are accurate about the fee but they are reputable and the fee can be negotiated. I'd steer away from the "private" credit repair companies. The thing is these folks don't sound as if they can afford Ch. 13 bankruptcy. The feds have tightened up on filing requirements. Ch. 7 (or is it 11 for individuals?) is almost impossible to do now. Ch. 13 requires repayment in a structured format. So many years and so much a month. Then your creditor is the Federal govt. If you're honest and go with a reputable agency, credit counseling is fine. IN this area it is Consumer Credit Counseling Services. The thing is with them if you get some extra money or your income increases as the OP expects, you can throw it their way and they will pay off the higher interest debt first and everything will go faster.
They also do budget counseling and have first time home buyer programs. its not a happy situation but I think this is preferable. It is only for credit card debt tho so if there are other types of debt, then bankruptcy may be the only way to go. I want to add that once a bankruptcy is discharged it won't count too badly with some landlords. Others are never satisfied anyway. At most, they 'll want more of a deposit.
If you don't get a handle on spending habits however, you will wind up oin the same spot in a few years. Getting the money management classes is vital and the Feds don't provide that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irreplaceable View Post
I agree with most of what everyone is telling you. Keep your head up and if you work hard enough you'll make your dreams come true it just may take a little longer then you want. I don't however agree with consumer credit couseling services and suggest if you have to much to pay on and really can't afford to pay it all back to look in either a lawyer or if your area has a legal aid office (for low income people who need leagal help) to do that instead. The comercials make fixing your credit sound like a walk in the park but you need to know that, they charge a monthly fee and you are NOT protected! These companys can still come after you! Filing bankrupsy sounds worse but it's not. It actually hurts your credit more to have one of those company's pay your bills for you. I know people who after paying to them for a couple years found some of their bills wern't getting paid every month and ended up being just as bad off as when they started. You would have two options going through the courts and you will be protected. Do what you can for now and remember things can only get better from the bottom. Best of Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay