Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 06:53 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times

Advertisements

I live in West Tampa (MacDill/Cypress south of 275) and most of my neighbors are hispanic. Most of them are also very elderly and have lived in their homes before 275 even existed. When they built their homes, they tell me they had to "drive in to Tampa" if they wanted something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 08:47 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
I live in West Tampa (MacDill/Cypress south of 275) and most of my neighbors are hispanic. Most of them are also very elderly and have lived in their homes before 275 even existed. When they built their homes, they tell me they had to "drive in to Tampa" if they wanted something.
I thought west tampa was north of 275, I would call that area Oakford Park, although I notice the sign that said Oakford Park that was on Mcdill heading north from Kennedy has been removed and now it says something gardens some name i never heard before.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:26 AM

745 posts, read 801,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I thought west tampa was north of 275, I would call that area Oakford Park, although I notice the sign that said Oakford Park that was on Mcdill heading north from Kennedy has been removed and now it says something gardens some name i never heard before.
West Tampa is generally considered to be North of 275, East of Himes and West of... say, North Blvd, or the Hillsborough River, but the lines are kinda fuzzy

Old 06-23-2015, 10:31 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
From Wikipedia:

The historical boundaries of West Tampa are the Hillsborough River and Rome Avenue to the east, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd (formerly Buffalo Ave.) to the north, Kennedy Blvd. (formerly Grand Central Ave.) to the south, and Dale Mabry Highway to the west. The West Tampa Historic District encompases much of this area,[8] and Interstate 275, built in the 1960s, runs through the approximate center of the neighborhood. The land area of the district is about 10 square miles (about 26 km2).

Old 06-23-2015, 10:43 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancykitten View Post
Unlike most bigger cities, Tampa doesn't really have that many racially specific neighborhoods. Racial segregation when it comes to neighborhoods is very low here in Tampa - it's an anomaly. This is something that was actually discussed in a Sociology class of mine, how weird Tampa is when it comes to how diverse our neighborhoods are.
Perhaps you need to take a history class, up until 1971 the public schools in Hillsborough County were still segregated, which was 7 years after the Civil Rights Bill was passed by Lyndon Johnson in 1965.

Hardly a city with a diverse history, also hospitals, restaurants, etc. were also segregated.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Well, some people don't like it when I say I live in South Tampa because I'm "north of Kennedy". My neighbors (remember, they've lived here since dawn of time) say everything north of Kennedy and east of Himes in our area is "West Tampa". However, the South Tampa vibe is certainly moving north our direction above Kennedy as many small block homes are being demolished and 2 story McMansions are being built.

If you go here (Neighborhood Maps), my specific neighborhood doesn't have an actual designation as a neighborhood, which I have contacted the city about. We are closest to what is considered MacFarlane Park, which is north of 275 between Himes/MacDill. We are one of the few "nameless areas". I've been trying to think of a clever name for our little area (south of 275, north of Cypress, bound by MacDill and Himes to the east and west...Tocobaga Park maybe?!?

You are referring to Armory Gardens, which is the neighborhood bound by MacDill/Cypress/Armenia/Kennedy.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:18 PM

Definitely, despite what the "map sticklers" might say, pretty much Kennedy North to at minimum Cypress is considered South Tampa these days... I would say all the way to 275, but whatever.

And 275 is more than halfway between MLK/Buffalo and Kennedy, it's more like 1/3 heading north, 2/3 heading south. Columbus is closer to halfway

Old 06-23-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Well, some people don't like it when I say I live in South Tampa because I'm "north of Kennedy". My neighbors (remember, they've lived here since dawn of time) say everything north of Kennedy and east of Himes in our area is "West Tampa". However, the South Tampa vibe is certainly moving north our direction above Kennedy as many small block homes are being demolished and 2 story McMansions are being built.

If you go here (Neighborhood Maps), my specific neighborhood doesn't have an actual designation as a neighborhood, which I have contacted the city about. We are closest to what is considered MacFarlane Park, which is north of 275 between Himes/MacDill. We are one of the few "nameless areas". I've been trying to think of a clever name for our little area (south of 275, north of Cypress, bound by MacDill and Himes to the east and west...Tocobaga Park maybe?!?

You are referring to Armory Gardens, which is the neighborhood bound by MacDill/Cypress/Armenia/Kennedy.
So they have a "south of gandy" (SoG), it's a sort of derogative label for the south tampa snobs to assign to an area if you ask me, but maybe deserved because parts of it, especially west of dale mabry arent the best

Maybe you can be "north of kennedy" (NoK)

Old 06-23-2015, 12:44 PM

NoK, I like that. That would work except we might be called "Nokkers" and I don't know if that would enunciate across the board very well in the US. :-)

Old 06-23-2015, 01:30 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
Definitely, despite what the "map sticklers" might say, pretty much Kennedy North to at minimum Cypress is considered South Tampa these days... I would say all the way to 275, but whatever.
And despite what people who ignore maps in general might say, South Tampa doesn't start until Kennedy. If it dips south of Kennedy, it is a part of South Tampa. North of Kennedy is the start of North Tampa. The reason it's called "South Tampa" is because it's on "South" Dale Mabry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay