Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 01:18 PM

8 posts, read 33,235 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I’m considering moving to Florida from Michigan. I’m looking for a place that:

Is a nice area to raise a school age child (good schools)

Has a good mix of races and cultures

Has a stable job market (jobs in accounts payable/receivable)

Is safe and easy going however has good access to Tampa (for sporting events and entertainment)

Has a descent cost of living ($700-$1000 per month for two bedroom apartment

Mid-Size in terms of population (I need at least a Target-type store, drug store, grocery store etc. within arms reach

By the way, I am a single mother of one. My son is 5 years old. I am interested in dating. I’m not much of a partier but would like an area where there are some singles between the age of 30 and 40.

Where would I get the most bang for my buck, in terms of area:
Clearwater
St. Petersburg
Bradenton
Brandon
Lakeland
Largo

If you think that none of these places fit what I’m looking for, please feel free to make recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I would suggest Tampa for the job and living. You can find apts that would meet your requirements as far as price range. You would have to get a 2 bd according to state law, I believe.
Carrollwood came to mind when I read your post, although there are other areas too.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 PM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Default good recommendation

Great Target store, good schools. A really nice 2 br is going to come in right at about 1K anywhere in this area. We were looking this past August. There are specials in the complexes usually and they almost never take a full month security. That 3 br law is just homophobic and a way to get more rent. I had it happen in ATL years ago with my daughter. I thought that was in the past. I mean, my husband and I are 2 people but we can legally rent a one bedroom. So don't believe stories about it being fire code. Your son is still little but for that matter they'd be flirting with age discrimination if they forced you to get a 2 br. because he's a BOY of a certain age Come to think of it, that'd be gender discrimination too

I think an ar/ap clerk should be good with the temp agencies to start and then you can figure out which companies you like. All the biggies are here and there's one in Carrollwood, called Apple. Don't know where they are exactly. They moved in the area. They had some great clients like Nordstrom's.

How does the mother of a 5 year old meet men to date? That's a serious question and I mean no disrespect. I'm just so old, married and out of the loop I don't know. It's hard enough without a kid who needs sitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I would suggest Tampa for the job and living. You can find apts that would meet your requirements as far as price range. You would have to get a 2 bd according to state law, I believe.
Carrollwood came to mind when I read your post, although there are other areas too.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:28 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I can tell you most apt complexes do make you get a bedroom when a child is over a certain age and it is a law in FL. If you had 2 boys, you could still get by with a 2 bd since they are the same sex. With the price range you are looking for a 2 bd would be easy to find.

You might want to check out some of the larger employers in the area like Coca cola, Metropolitan and PricewaterhouseCoopers National admin. My DD worked doing AR/AP for car dealerships, but they don't pay as well as bigger companies. You also may want to check out the pay scale as FL in general pays lower than up north.
Temp is a good way to go if you can afford it. Pay will be between 8-10 an hour generally.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:44 PM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Default how do they

get away with that I''m horrified, quite honestly that this still goes on. Personally, I think boys should be in a separate room even from their sisters, after toddlerhood and this one is on the border age-wise but they should still be able to do it to save money. It shouldn't be something to legislate. If a parent is a perv, they can do it anywhere. A decent parent will be discrete and appropriate and we're not advocating same beds here. It's just typical Fl pro landlord-anti tenant stupidity. In ATL I wasn't allowed to share my room with my same sex child. when they stauy at Disney, kisd share the same room. Give me a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I can tell you most apt complexes do make you get a bedroom when a child is over a certain age and it is a law in FL. If you had 2 boys, you could still get by with a 2 bd since they are the same sex. With the price range you are looking for a 2 bd would be easy to find.

You might want to check out some of the larger employers in the area like Coca cola, Metropolitan and PricewaterhouseCoopers National admin. My DD worked doing AR/AP for car dealerships, but they don't pay as well as bigger companies. You also may want to check out the pay scale as FL in general pays lower than up north.
Temp is a good way to go if you can afford it. Pay will be between 8-10 an hour generally.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:12 PM

5 posts, read 24,809 times
My mom's friend lives in Carrollwood and she loves it but if you have small children I would suggest living in the St Pete area that is closest to the Howard Frankland Bridge to Tampa. It is close to downtown Tampa where all the large companies. In St Pete there is PayChex and alot of other large ones. Also, when we moved my husband got a job with Robert Half temp agency. They specialize in accounting positions. In St Pete they have "First Friday" where you can go to mingle. Two bedroom apts in this area can start at $700 and go as high as $1200 depending on where you look. Much like me I think you will love St Petersburg. You can go to Tampa to party and come home to St Pete. We're close by the Clearwater and St Pete beaches. There are many Targets, Marshalls, TJMaxx, Shoe Carnival etc. You won't have a problem finding what you need. The only thing is that the BBQ isn't the same as up north. That's the only thing I miss honestly. The website for St Pete is Welcome to StPete.org. Click on Visitors. It'll give you a little info on the city. There is also a photo gallery with pics of the city.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 19,726 times
Actually all of the places you mentioned are very right wing. Places like Brandon, Pinellas Park and Largo are very southern in feel. You will see lots of confederate flags on cars and flying in peoples lawns. They are actually working on putting in a billboard size confederate flag along I-4 in Tampa. If you enjoy mega-churches and southern pride you will feel right at home in Tampa Bay.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:31 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal guy View Post
Actually all of the places you mentioned are very right wing. Places like Brandon, Pinellas Park and Largo are very southern in feel. You will see lots of confederate flags on cars and flying in peoples lawns. They are actually working on putting in a billboard size confederate flag along I-4 in Tampa. If you enjoy mega-churches and southern pride you will feel right at home in Tampa Bay.
Why exactly are you digging up posts one and two years old to spout off this stuff - if you're not happy here, do something constructive about it.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 19,726 times
I'm hoping to save good people from making the same mistake I made by moving here. I reply to old posts hoping transplants may pick up these blogs from the google search engine. People have a right to know exactly what they are getting themselves into by relocating here. If you are an individual who appreciates the simple things like great restaurants, markets, indie film theaters, artisinal coffee roasters, microbreweries, funky neighborhoods etc... This is not the place for you. The sad thing is these are all norms in most other metro areas. I am a transplant from Columbus, Ohio and this city makes Columbus look like Berkley, CA. I can't wait for the day to get out of here, unfortunatley I'm stuck for now.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:15 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal guy View Post
I'm hoping to save good people from making the same mistake I made by moving here. I reply to old posts hoping transplants may pick up these blogs from the google search engine. People have a right to know exactly what they are getting themselves into by relocating here. If you are an individual who appreciates the simple things like great restaurants, markets, indie film theaters, artisinal coffee roasters, microbreweries, funky neighborhoods etc... This is not the place for you. The sad thing is these are all norms in most other metro areas. I am a transplant from Columbus, Ohio and this city makes Columbus look like Berkley, CA. I can't wait for the day to get out of here, unfortunatley I'm stuck for now.
I like all those things as well. Maybe you should check out Sarasota - we have all that down here - wouldn't live anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay