Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 12:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
Wrong, the primary reason for the party was my daughters HS graduation and my sons College graduation.

Nice try !
Regardless, you invited people over you knew give you grief. I already said you could have limited your celebration to a nice dinner out and included a couple of people who wish you well.

You decided to have a gathering(doesn't matter the reason) and included people who I would categorize as "toxic", than you act surprised and annoyed that they display the same behavior.

That's on you, not them.

You want them to react in a way that they're not going to.

You can't change them, but what you can change is how much contact you have. Lesson #1, you don't include them in a social gathering.

Kind of like inviting the uncle over who gets sloppy drunk and acts like a jerk, you know he does this, you invite him over, supply liquor at the event, and than act all offended when he does his normal behavior.

Again, that's on you.

Look at it this way, you can now put some geographical distance between you.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:32 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Family should offer support and understanding when a relative is making a major life change. Whether its buying a house, getting a heart transplant or relocating the family should be with you and not against you.
Up to a point. If the relative is continuously downgrading where I've decided to stay (ie Buffalo), I'd probably get a little irritated when I've heard for the umpteenth time how it will be great to get out of the snow during the winter.....OP probably didn't recognize that these folks eyes were glazing over when he continuously talked about his move to FLA ad nauseum.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:50 PM

676 posts, read 1,271,021 times
Regardless of all the comments, cjrudy and his family have made a choice to move here. We should do all we can to help them and to make them welcome.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:14 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
It's times like these that you find out who your true friends and supportive family members are...what's that old quote..."when someone shows you who they are...believe them"...sorry ...but on a happier note...Welcome to Florida!!!!

Old 07-07-2015, 03:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
As we enter our last week in Buffalo before my son, daughter and I join my wife in Tampa, its become even more crystal clear that no one, including friends and family are truly happy for us.
You aren't being specific. If they're friends, they must be telling you why they're not excited for you. What is the reason they are concerned?
Quote:
We have been listening to the comments for months but this weekend it continued. We had a party to celebrate our daughters HS graduation, sons college graduation and our move. My wife came back into town for the party, the first time she had been back since March, yet the snarky comments continued.

Even those that say "Good Luck" have to follow up with "I hope it works out"
Why are they saying this? Do you have a job in Florida? "Good luck" and "I hope t works out" don't sound too negative to me. Do they also add "We'll miss you?"

Quote:
Then there's "My neighbor moved to Florida last year and hates it"

Or the popular "You know its hot in Florida" "There's bugs in Florida", "It rains a lot in Florida", "Traffics bad in Florida"............WTF people, enough
All of this is true. It's hot in Florida and there are lots of bugs here. It also rains a lot, especially in the summer. So what? It snows a lot in the winter in New York. I don't view comments about the weather or bugs as negative, especially if they're coming from close friends and family. However, if you've already made your decision, they should be supportive and start focusing on the positive.
Quote:

My mother - law has been one of the worst, never supporting us from the beginning and of course it continued at the party. My wife was talking to a friend and made the comment "we'll be living the dream" . My mother in law sitting a few feet away, stood up, threw her hands in the air and said " I cant listen to this talk anymore" and stormed off.
Okay, so you are moving your family far away from your mother-in-law who probably loves her grandchildren. Did you tell her she is always welcome whenever she wants to visit? Has she been otherwise supportive or is this the only subject you've disagreed on? Just asking. If you've never gotten along, then you shouldn't expect too much from her. Just shrug it off and be happy you'll be far way!

Quote:
Then the constant family insinuations that we're trying to "Get Out" , whatever that means.

Anyways thanks for letting me vent, I don't understand why people just cant be happy for us.
In the end, it is none of their business. I heard the same thing. Some people thought I was running away from someone or something. No. I just needed a change. So when someone asks "Why did you pack up and move to Florida?" the answer is simple. "It's my life."

Moving to Florida will definitely not solve your problems, if that's why you're moving. Wherever you go, they will follow you, but starting fresh is sometimes the best remedy. I don't know why you are hearing so many negative remarks. There has to be more to this story. If not, then ignore them and enjoy your new venture!!

Old 07-07-2015, 07:48 PM

473 posts, read 543,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Up to a point. If the relative is continuously downgrading where I've decided to stay (ie Buffalo), I'd probably get a little irritated when I've heard for the umpteenth time how it will be great to get out of the snow during the winter.....OP probably didn't recognize that these folks eyes were glazing over when he continuously talked about his move to FLA ad nauseum.
Never downgraded Buffalo, I already told you that, how convenient that you never respond to my responses , yet continue to attack.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:51 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
I haven't read the whole thread but after reading some I think the title should be "why can't everyone be happy for us?".

Old 07-07-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree View Post
Regardless of all the comments, cjrudy and his family have made a choice to move here. We should do all we can to help them and to make them welcome.
Thanks Apollo

Old 07-07-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
It's times like these that you find out who your true friends and supportive family members are...what's that old quote..."when someone shows you who they are...believe them"...sorry ...but on a happier note...Welcome to Florida!!!!
Thanks Irish

Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
I didnt read all the comments, but its probably a combination of them missing you, maybe they truly dislike FL and think you will not like it either, or perhaps they want out of Buffalo too and would like to live in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay