Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:19 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
The beauty of schools here is that pretty much anyone who would attend school and do homework will end up with degree. It's unbelievable how many people are ending up with engineering degrees from college of engineering at USF doing bare minimum and have little knowledge of subject.
Can you provide the stats to back this up? Preferably the number of students who apply for the school of engineering vs. the number of students who graduate with a degree in engineering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 09:24 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,923 times
USF Graduation Rate Reaches 63 Percent - University of South Florida
TAMPA, Fla. (Jan. 17, 2013) - The University of South Florida has announced that its graduation rate has soared to an all-time record of 63 percent
University of South Florida | USF | Best College | US News
It is more selective, with an acceptance rate of 45.2 percent.
USF in Tampa sees large increase in graduation rates | Tampa Bay Times
Friday, January 17, 2014
School officials announced Friday that USF has reached an all-time high graduation rate, with 63 percent of students graduating in six years or less.
University of South Florida | Best Engineering School | US News
#99 of the best engineering schools in the country.
As engineering is rather exacting, it's difficult to believe that someone who speaks so wrongly so often would be degreed from there in that.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:29 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times
According to this website it seems USF Engineering does a good job

University of South Florida Engineering Ranking 2015

By the way as a graduate from the USF school of Engineering in 1982. It did a great job in preparing me for my career and life.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:26 AM

819 posts, read 1,409,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
The beauty of schools here is that pretty much anyone who would attend school and do homework will end up with degree. It's unbelievable how many people are ending up with engineering degrees from college of engineering at USF doing bare minimum and have little knowledge of subject. Unfortunately I saw it happening first hand. These students cannot pass first engineering exam (FE), but they do work as entry level engineers for years doing not so good job. It's actually scary. I really don't need anyone to agree with me, just sharing...
Eight of my class mates, who were all involved in engineering college council with me, passed their PE exam the first time, so I'd say that says something for USF's program given the national rate is in the 60% range.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:09 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
Eight of my class mates, who were all involved in engineering college council with me, passed their PE exam the first time, so I'd say that says something for USF's program given the national rate is in the 60% range.
I have two engineers in mind I personally know with engineering degrees from Purdue who failed PE twice. Can I assume Purdue is not giving something USF does?
However School of PE offers 6 weeks classes to prepare people to PE exam and their passing rate is over 90%. Should we skip USF all together and go to School of PE?

FE and PE are two different tests/exams. FE is more for theoretical part while PE is based on practice. In my opinion passing FE should be mandatory requirement for graduating from college of engineering (not just USF, from any)

Old 07-17-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Can you provide the stats to back this up? Preferably the number of students who apply for the school of engineering vs. the number of students who graduate with a degree in engineering.
It will not cut it. Sure enough drop out rate is high. Not only applying vs graduating, but overall during very first semester. Students are dropping out/changing major not because they are not smart enough to graduate, but because they are scared they will not be able to finish it. It's a big difference. Look at these students, most are living from Thursday to Thursday to party And this is irrelevant to what I was saying. Anyone who will be attending classes and do homework would be able to graduate with engineering degree. If this statistics don't exist, it doesn't mean it's not the case

Old 07-17-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
You can say that about every university and every major. Just because you did the work necessary for a degree doesn't mean that you will be good at it or even really mastered the essence of that career.

At the end of the day it's up to the individual to prove that they can use and apply what they have learned
Totally agree. I just prefer USF to look into making program stronger and keep losers out of it instead of caring them through school and giving them degree.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:47 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,019,803 times
60%? LOL. Even the CPA exam pass rate was 45% when I was going through 'em 7 years ago.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:16 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
My Alma Mater .

I have a love-dislike for my university. It is a good school and everything I hear coming out of it these days seems to be better and better.

I can't help but have some anger towards it though. I attended from 2006-2011 and looking back, the school was doing some pretty unethical things in my opinion. The annual tuition increases were insane and all of it seemed to just go towards making the campus more glamorous, and not to better education or student services.

Graduating in 2011 I fell into the massive group of graduates that couldn't find jobs. National news and student newspapers all over the place were talking about the unemployment crisis that new graduates were facing. It was a pretty bleak time for all of us and even the professors expressed sympathy.

USF didn't offer any services to those facing unemployment. Student career services, who had large speeches to us before the economy tanked about job placement they provided, basically threw their hands up in the air in 2011 and told us we never promised anyone a job and advised us to use the USF online job board for positions. That board had nothing posted on it except pyramid schemes. I fell for a few of their offers and went in to interview, only to find these we're unpaid sales jobs that you usually had to buy into before you could work for the product.

So yeah, a love-hate relationship. I try to give USF the benefit of the doubt because the times were so hard, but the experience made me very distrusting of universities. I pursue certifications now when I want to study something.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:13 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
To those who were wondering what the plans were for the area directly surrounding USF, here you go!

Hillsborough's next big plan is an innovation district. But what is it? | Tampa Bay Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: