Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 09:21 PM

48 posts, read 52,370 times

Advertisements

Ok, please don't judge, but I have a fear of sinkholes.

Where I live right now in Northern Virginia, the only time Florida ever makes the news is for sinkholes. As you saw in another thread (maybe), my family and I would like to move to Wesley Chapel and I wanted to understand from some locals, what is the true deal with sinkholes. I heard that the more development, the higher the risk for them to occur, which makes me concerned for Wesley Chapel because I know there is a lot of development going on there. Any insight/opinions you can provide would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 06:52 AM

745 posts, read 794,984 times
You have nothing to fear... I have no idea why sinkholes would make the news outside of Florida, you hardly ever hear about them in the local news.

In the past 10 years exactly 1 person died from a sinkhole

Old 07-09-2015, 10:03 AM

11 posts, read 10,406 times
I would hardly think that Florida only makes the news for sinkholes. There is a whole online meme about Florida Man and his crazy antics. Most of the country now looks at us a the new California, Home of the Fruits and Nuts.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:06 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,327,704 times
Well as you were told in your WC thread, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:04 PM

48 posts, read 52,370 times
Excellent! All my fears about moving to Florida have been eliminated. Now, just to find the perfect house! Let the house hunting commence. Thank you all for your input!

Old 07-09-2015, 07:22 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,003,847 times
The real question is what do the insurance companies think the sinkhole risks are?

Old 07-10-2015, 08:06 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,232,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dating_houses View Post

Where I live right now in Northern Virginia, the only time Florida ever makes the news is for sinkholes. As you saw in another thread (maybe), my family and I would like to move to Wesley Chapel and I wanted to understand from some locals, what is the true deal with sinkholes. I heard that the more development, the higher the risk for them to occur, which makes me concerned for Wesley Chapel because I know there is a lot of development going on there. Any insight/opinions you can provide would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Well VA has them too:

Living with Sinkholes

Could a deadly sinkhole happen again in Virginia? | WTVR.com

Giant sinkhole opens up in Virginia (video) - The Washington Post

Just google Virginia sink holes

It is not limited to FL.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:59 AM

135 posts, read 137,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dating_houses View Post

I grew up just down the road from you, and have spent the past several years in the Tampa Bay area.

Sinkholes come with the territory here, but they're quite rare, all things considered. The media shines a very bright light on them these days when they do occur, because they're dramatic and grab attention.

Just don't live in west Pasco county (for a multitude of reasons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Growing up in VA, sinkholes were never considered even a remote threat because they hardly ever occur. Most people up there don't even know what a sinkhole is. Trying to say that it's ok because they happen in VA too is ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay