Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,262 times

Advertisements

After extensive research on where to move from the north, my fiancé and I settled on the Tampa bay area. We really loved that there are historic districts, tree-lined streets, lots of character and charm, and a city! It has somewhat of a northern feel to it, but doesn't have snow! Who could ask for more? However, this dream was short lived after I accepted a job (same position as where I am now) that makes only $40k a year and realized how expensive housing is ! I love the look of Historic Old NE and South Tampa, but don't understand how people can afford it when pay is so much less in florida. My fiancé plans on getting into real estate and investments so it will only be my income for a while.

With that said, where in the Tampa area can we purchase a home that is safe, has historic architectural detail, and nice streets without paying a fortune? Realistically, I think our budget would be about $200k and we ideally want a house, not a condo because we have pets. Side note, we would label ourselves as "young professionals" (28 and 30 years old) with no children.

Is this impossible, or is there still hope for my Tampa Bay dream!??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 12:47 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Here are the historic districts of Tampa:

Historic District Maps | City of Tampa

Keep in mind that Ybor is currently under a huge renovation, and anytime a highway expansion comes to Florida, the historic districts are the first to get hit.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:56 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Historic areas are normally preserved and rarely effected by roadway expansion projects.
I don't think there is a nice place with historic architectural details for under $200K anywhere in Tampa

Old 07-15-2015, 09:26 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
I agree, 200k isnt going to get much in any decent area. you would be lucky to even get a condo in a decent area for that

Old 07-15-2015, 10:08 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Historic areas are normally preserved and rarely effected by roadway expansion projects.
I don't think there is a nice place with historic architectural details for under $200K anywhere in Tampa
Tampa heights is full of (ok not full) but has a lot of old craftman style houses, Ybor has a some as well, I personally like Riverside Heights nice safe neighborhood the schools do suck, but you have magnet Macfarlane magnet is close by, I would say at 200k for an old historic house definitely urban pioneer territory.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/71...45094887_zpid/
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/60...45105841_zpid/

Last edited by DUNNDFRNT; 07-15-2015 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-15-2015, 12:31 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Might want to let Ybor know that. Home Page - Stop TBX

Old 07-15-2015, 09:28 PM

67 posts, read 60,640 times
The cost of living verses the average pay rate is not in proportion in this area of the Tampa Bay area.You will literally feel like you're spinning your wheels and on a gerbil exercise wheel in terms of trying to get ahead. I love South Tampa homes and some of the ones in Old Northeast in St Pete, Safety Harbor & Seminole Hts but they are not really affordable.You can find some Craftsman style homes here & there in other neighborhoods but please check the crime stats and registered sex offender lists in the areas that you're looking in to make sure if that's a factor in a lesser priced house. Largo has some older style wooden homes scattered here & there, maybe you can snap something up around there.Not sure if Old Southeast has gone up in price or not, check that out too. Good luck!

Old 07-16-2015, 04:24 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
If only Tampa/Florida really was that cheap.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:35 AM

29 posts, read 42,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steorio View Post
After extensive research on where to move from the north, my fiancé and I settled on the Tampa bay area. We really loved that there are historic districts, tree-lined streets, lots of character and charm, and a city! It has somewhat of a northern feel to it, but doesn't have snow! Who could ask for more? However, this dream was short lived after I accepted a job (same position as where I am now) that makes only $40k a year and realized how expensive housing is ! I love the look of Historic Old NE and South Tampa, but don't understand how people can afford it when pay is so much less in florida. My fiancé plans on getting into real estate and investments so it will only be my income for a while.

With that said, where in the Tampa area can we purchase a home that is safe, has historic architectural detail, and nice streets without paying a fortune? Realistically, I think our budget would be about $200k and we ideally want a house, not a condo because we have pets. Side note, we would label ourselves as "young professionals" (28 and 30 years old) with no children.

Is this impossible, or is there still hope for my Tampa Bay dream!??
short answer, probably not.
40k is nothing, and prices are going through the roof. I live in 5 points in st pete, and a 2/1 on my street just sold for 214k, and it was nothing to look at, and certainly not as nice as say, the old NE (where homes are hitting $1MM, btw.

Also, homeowners' insurance is really high here-taxes and insurance are 50% of my monthly payment.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:58 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
As others have mentioned, prices in the whole Tampa Bay area are getting high now due to demand for places to live. If you don't mind being "urban pioneers" you could maybe find something in Tampa Heights, Riverside Heights, parts of Ybor, old West Tampa and North Hyde Park. One good thing is Tampa has an aggressive mayor, and he is working hard to bring up all the core areas of Tampa.

Anyway, check out those inner city neighborhoods and see if it is at your comfort level. Your salary is not that low for the area, outside of housing, but if you can be flexible you can make it work.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay