Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 09:40 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Just a reminder: summer lasts until November maybe longer some years. While they are enjoying autumn north of us, we only have two seasons here. Wet and dry.
No, actually, the two seasons are HOT and WONDERFUL ! We kinda endure the hot months to get to absolutely terrific weather from about October to May.

Don

Old 09-02-2015, 01:29 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I like the summer. I will take Tampa summers over NY winters any day!!! I will take January dryness in Tampa over the threat of foot high snow in NY any day. I will take Florida taxes over NY taxes any day. 95% of Tampa daily life is better than NY!!!!! That's a fact!!
Here here.
Some of like it hot.REAL hot.Even REAL sticky hot is better than months of cold,wet,gray and miserable.
Shorts and tees year-round are tickety-boo for us.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:38 AM

29 posts, read 30,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Here here.
Some of like it hot.REAL hot.Even REAL sticky hot is better than months of cold,wet,gray and miserable.
Shorts and tees year-round are tickety-boo for us.
I envy the lifestyle. Farmer's Almanac is predicting a worse winter for us northerners than last year. I didn't think that was possible after what we experienced from Feb to April

I will be thinking about you in January between daily sharings of real estate listings with my spouse.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:50 AM

849 posts, read 2,921,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
This is one of the best post I have read in a long time here.

I applaud you that you made the best out of it and.......you now earn the right to complain .

Those who are here for a few months or retired and don't get into all the other hassles that actively working people do have no real credibility in my book on what they say.

Having said that I will also say that after 22 years I would be bored anywhere in this world and would be itching for a change .

Best of luck in your move!
YES! I see some guy posting about being a European traveler who wants to jet to the mountains if he needs a "mountain fix", and I wonder how realistic that is for the majority of people. I consider myself a middle class, child support paying, 50+ hour a week workin' chap who lives paycheck to paycheck. I think I am pretty qualified to comment on what is going on in my state. I don't post internet links to crime stats or wage stats, because I see it and live it. If you came from another state and like the beach, good for you. Enjoy it here.
I always like to voice my opinion of this fine state, because I think a lot of people come down here expecting sand and fun, and end up realizing it isn't easy to make it down here. Life can't be a daily vacation-unless you're retired-because real life gets in the way. I try to be realistic, and if that upsets some people, so sorry. Either that, or you may be THIS guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXMGLsssJno

Old 09-02-2015, 11:22 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
I don't post internet links to crime stats or wage stats, because I see it and live it.
I feel I have to say it, "personal experience" doesn't trump the numbers. For example, the overwhelming majority of people who drink and drive will never get into an accident. From the overwhelming majority's personal experience, drinking and driving is safe.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:59 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I feel I have to say it, "personal experience" doesn't trump the numbers. For example, the overwhelming majority of people who drink and drive will never get into an accident. From the overwhelming majority's personal experience, drinking and driving is safe.
The only crime I see is on TV.
Swear to God I never experience crime.
Ever.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:52 PM

29 posts, read 30,318 times
Quote:
I always like to voice my opinion of this fine state, because I think a lot of people come down here expecting sand and fun, and end up realizing it isn't easy to make it down here. Life can't be a daily vacation-unless you're retired-because real life gets in the way. I try to be realistic, and if that upsets some people, so sorry. Either that, or you may be THIS guy:
I don't personally have an issue with you being realistic. I look at my network that is currently based in FL, and they are from the following areas: Indiana, St. Louis, Delaware, Philly, Massachusetts. Basically, I can tell you in a nutshell that the weather factor alone will forever be enough for these people to overlook any negatives.

My bigger point here is you can't paint everyone who loves the area as dreamers. All of these people work. Most of them are all doing quite well because they are either a.) really good at what they do, or b.) hold advanced degrees. Life will always be easier if you meet those two criteria!

Last, I can tell you that as much as a I see a lot of natives scoff at the weather forecast, you've got to understand the impact it has on some of us. I turn into a different (miserable) person from Nov. to April. It's cold, the sun disappears at 4 p.m., you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. You nearly break your ass on the sidewalk because it's covered in ice, and your car shatters to pieces in the massive potholes that develop. Etc., etc.

If you're used to the heat and constant sun, I can see how it might be a head-scratcher to you that people go on and on and on about the weather. It's similar to how I look sideways at people who love Rhode Island because we don't have the death penalty and there are some big mansions in Newport (who the hell cares??!)

One last thought: if I managed to keep my existing salary in FL, I would effectively give myself a 20% raise, pay half the cost in property taxes (if not less) and find a house in a decent neighborhood for approx. $100,000 less. The things you may take for granted are awfully attractive to those of us who don't love our current surroundings.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:56 PM

422 posts, read 412,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavs View Post
I envy the lifestyle. Farmer's Almanac is predicting a worse winter for us northerners than last year. I didn't think that was possible after what we experienced from Feb to April

I will be thinking about you in January between daily sharings of real estate listings with my spouse.
Arent you guys in the 90s right now?

You say you envy us but you rarely see someone outside after 10am between the months of June-Oct unless they are workers...

Old 09-02-2015, 12:59 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
My property tax on a 3bd 2bath split plan, garage, lanai, deck, enclosed back porch
were just under $700 last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavs View Post
I am trying (unsuccessfully) to get my parents out of NY. They live in my hometown of Poughkeepsie, which has become an utter dump thanks to IBM leaving, and yet they still pay $13K in property taxes annually. It is a dead-end and I hope they leave soon. You were smart to leave.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:23 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
YES! I see some guy posting about being a European traveler who wants to jet to the mountains if he needs a "mountain fix", and I wonder how realistic that is for the majority of people.
I hope in my camper travel trailer, drive 8-10 hrs up I75 and get my mountain fix. I think you're too pissed at the world to realize that living here can be just as good as living elsewhere - just need a little creativity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay